iPhone 5 in Taiwan?

I’m getting my ARC soon and I want to do the iPhone deal where you pay the set price and the service runs for a 1.5 years.

But I’m not sure if I should wait until the iPhone 5 comes out.
Is there a lag between announcement and actual availability in Taiwan? Or will I have a good chance of being able to get it relatively quickly?

I believe its due out in October, yea?

If its announced in late september my bet is it wont be available in the us until late october, and not available in taiwan until next year. Taiwan usually has at least a few months delay.

If it’s announced in September, I would bet a round or two of beer that the iPhone 5 will be available by CNY at the very latest. CNY is just too lucrative a shopping time for Apple to miss out on. I’m just hoping that my iPhone 3G can hang on until then… :pray:

Set price being 20K …?

Apparently Steve Jobs’ resignation will speed up the release of the iPhone 5. Here’s hoping!

I’m about halfway through my iPhone 4 2-year contract with Chungwha Telecom.
Anyone know if they have some kind of deal for people who want to upgrade before the contract is finished?

The latest news (who knows what’s absolute and what’s speculation) is that the US date of actual release (which is announced tomorrow by the way) is Sept 21st, with predictions for Taiwan to be selling it APPX around last week November to first week December. beyond that i don’t know anything, but i guess we will all know more by tomorrow evening after Apple website explains all… (to the U.S. anyway… :/)

I’m stateside now and am considering picking up one of these badboys, my only concern being they use nano SIM’s compared to the standard micro SIMS as found in the galaxy 3s , lumia etc. Doesn’t make much sense buying one now to look cool on the mrt if nano-SIMs in Taiwan won’t be available until the phone itself launches in said country does it? or are there nano’s on the market already?

A nano sim is just the micro sim with even more plastic cut off. Once the new iPhone is released, someone will make a template and put it online.

And what, use a scissors to cut it?

I suppose it’d be totally useless for me to buy the iPhone 5 on my my next trip to the US next month. Being that (if I understand it well) they are locked to the specific providers (AT&T etc…) so can’t be used in Taiwan. Correct?

Yes, but make sure it’s a really sharp pair.

It looks like it won’t be necessary though: focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … 1209200045

The Verizon version has an unlocked SIM slot.

I like how that article says parallel imports “could be up to 1.57 times more” in price. That’s a pretty darn accurate estimate.

[quote=“NeonNoodle”][quote=“blueimusic”]
It looks like it won’t be necessary though: focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ … 1209200045
[/quote]

I like how that article says parallel imports “could be up to 1.57 times more” in price. That’s a pretty darn accurate estimate.[/quote]

Guy who wrote it probably’s got one on the way himself…

I don’t want to wait until November. Whats the dealio apple with your national discrimination

The Verizon version has an unlocked SIM slot.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. So, this could be good, but what of the Sim Card. Could I use my iPhone 4 sim card?

It’s usually the extra certifications that devices have to obtain to be sold on the Taiwanese market. Blame the government, not Apple.

The iPhone 5 uses a different SIM card (Nano) than the iPhone 4 (Micro). According to the article posted above though, local telcos in Taiwan should be able to swap your micro for a nano, if you have an iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 uses a different SIM card (Nano) than the iPhone 4 (Micro). According to the article posted above though, local telcos in Taiwan should be able to swap your micro for a nano, if you have an iPhone 5.[/quote]
Good news.
Where to find these guys, any ideas?

[quote=“igorveni”]
Good news.
Where to find these guys, any ideas?[/quote]
“Guys” meaning iPhone 5s? Or Nano SIM cards?

[quote=“Adam_CLO”][quote=“igorveni”]
Good news.
Where to find these guys, any ideas?[/quote]
“Guys” meaning iPhone 5s? Or Nano SIM cards?[/quote]
Actually, I just realized I misunderstood you. I thought you wrote that the tech guys in Taiwan would be able to fix my iPhone 4 sim card so it fit in the iPhone 5. :slight_smile:
But no, it’s the Taiwan Dagueda, who would exchange it, right?