iPhone 5 in Taiwan?

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“Adam_CLO”][quote=“igorveni”]
Good news.
Where to find these guys, any ideas?[/quote]
“Guys” meaning iPhone 5s? Or Nano SIM cards?[/quote]
Actually, I just realized I misunderstood you. I thought you wrote that the tech guys in Taiwan would be able to fix my iPhone 4 sim card so it fit in the iPhone 5. :slight_smile:
But no, it’s the Taiwan Dagueda, who would exchange it, right?[/quote]
Yes, according to the news article quoted above, Taiwan Dageda, Zhonghua Telecom, Fareast etc. should all be able to swap your iPhone 4 SIM card for an iPhone 5 one. I’d recommend calling your provider to confirm first.

If you are going to the US or know someone coming in from the US, the Verizon iPhone is currently the best buy. The SIM slot is permanently unlocked, supports most of the LTE bands used by other countries, and costs over $100 less than the unlocked version after factoring in the ETF payment and the first monthly payment.

So, I could walk in an Apple store in LA and buy a Verizon iPhone even without being a US citizen nor having a phone plan in the US?

So, I could walk in an Apple store in LA and buy a Verizon iPhone even without being a US citizen nor having a phone plan in the US?[/quote]

I also would like to know more as Bleuimusic post is a bit confusing…?
I’d love to use US bought iphone here in TW.

I heard its free for iphone 4, 99 for iphone 4S, and 199 for iphone 5 with 2 year plan.

Without plan they are over 500 dollars per fone or something.

I believe you can just walk into an APPLE store and buy the iphone 5 (if they have it in stock) and sign for a plan later , or not. Not sure if you have to have it unblocked in Taiwan or what.

hi, i am going to buy an inphone 5 in singapour. i wanted to know how can i have a nano sim card in taiwan?

thanks

[quote=“Dourdeug”]hi, I am going to buy an inphone 5 in singapour. i wanted to know how can I have a nano sim card in Taiwan?

thanks[/quote]
You can walk into one of the local carriers with your iPhone 5 and tell them you need a Nano SIM. They’ll then outfit you with one. Worse case you might have to wait a few days if they have to order you one.

I was told at the Dageda store that no iPhone 5 nano card until iphone 5 is release.

Try a different store, or phone around. They might require you to bring your iPhone 5 in so they can record its IMEI or something, but according to news releases they should be able to do it.

Just got my iPhone 5 today - went to CHT to get the Nano SIM and was told they are all out of Nano SIMs for all stores in Taiwan until Monday (!!). I figured I’d just use it as an iPod Touch till then. That doesn’t work however, since it won’t let you do anything without activating it first, which requires a Nano SIM card.

I then visited my local Nova and popped over to the “Apple” store there. He took out a cutter from under the desk and nicely chopped my micro SIM card on the spot for only $100 NT. Works like a charm now!

You can just cut your mini sim further to fit a nano sim slot, but be very careful because there is very little space between it and the circuitry so you have a good chance of damaging the sim card. Practice on a scrap first (like a sim card from a different carrier).

my 2 week experience with an iPhone 5 (my first iPhone) and coming from a long time use of Android is … mew
maps is crazily bad (specially the search function), and no lane assist on navigation means you need to try your luck if you are driving… rerouting is very fast, and it helps out a bit.
form factor is good, but don’t like the lack of sensitivity on the corners of the screen, which make me (and my big fingers) type wrongly many times (specially the P).
only one physical button is too less… I need more, as this would clean out screen space for other things. As there are not back and menu hard buttons, these have to be implemented on the UI, which makes the small screen (yes, it is small) even smaller…

It is quite remarkable and a testament to great Marketing by Apple that someone told me today, over 3 Million IPhone 5s have been ordered by Taiwanese customers. Considering the population its amazing,if thats a true figure.
I will wait a little longer until the teething problems are sorted out before upgrading. :ponder:

I’ve had mine for a couple of months here now. The thinner and lighter form factor is great. I can now fit it in the same pocket as my wallet! The longer screen makes videos nicer to look at. Most of the popular apps have updated to take advantage of the taller screen.

The look of the device is very sleek. I’m running it without a case though, to keep it thin. As a result it’s developed a few scuff marks on the edge. In retrospect, I’d probably get someone to laminate the whole thing (not sure what they call that process), which would preserve its thinness.

I would be one of those Taiwan preorders. I’ve been happy with my iPhone 4 overall, but recently I’ve been doing a lot more with it (internet tethering, iTunes match, podcast streaming, etc.) and so I’d just like something a bit snappier. Plus I need a better camera. The promise of better low-light shots is appealing to me.

Android’s lack of a Taiwan store is a deal-breaker for me. I like apps, and I have a gazillion of them on my iPhone. Plus like I said, I have iTunes match so that sort of constricts me to the Apple ‘ecosystem’.

Any of y’all looking for a 32 gig iphone 5? My buddy sent one over a few weeks ago. Can’t seem to sell it on yahoo. It’s been sitting on my desk for the past 3 weeks… kinda stupid on my part now that they’re about to start selling them here. Anyhoo, I told my bud that it’s bad timing and he’s willing to sell for the original price of $870 ($799 + CA tax). Shoot me a PM if interested.

Is it locked? That could be why people won’t buy it.

Factory unlocked.

*edit It seems that it may not be unlocked.

Please explain to me in plain English -for a two year old- why is the Padfone plan more expensive than the iPhone 5? :cry:

[quote]According to a local report, based on a NT$1,300 per month data plan offered by the three operators, the purchase price for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB phones stand at NT$5,400, NT$9,900 and NT$13,900, respectively.

However, according to the report, there are still other data plans that customers can choose from. FET will offer a data plan of NT$598 per month, the cheapest option for the phone among all plans revealed by the three operators.

Chungwa Telecom has the second cheapest plan at NT$649 per month, followed by a Taiwan Mobile data plan charging NT$767 per month. However, the cheaper the data plan, the higher the purchase price of the phone is.
[/quote]
From China Post
Might have to migrate to the iUniverse, then. At least, you can buy their apps.

So guys, is it worth it to get the latest iPhone 5 or get a cheap iPhone 4 or 4S from the thousands being dumped while still in working order?