IRS to start revoking US passports for unpaid taxes

Can’t blame Trump for this. Obama signed it.

The Obama global tax slave regime…the gift that keeps on giving! [quote=“nonredneck, post:1, topic:158016”]
Can’t blame Trump for this. Obama signed it.
[/quote]
No, but I will blame Trump if he doesn’t get rid of that whole FATCA mess at some point. And the country really needs to move to residence-based taxation like the rest of the world.

When you’re in an exclusive citizen-based taxation club with exactly one other country–Eritrea–you know you’re doing something wrong.

Seems normal to me from a country which values more dollars than roots.

More like “more dollars than sense.”

Have to agree with that. Especially since US consular services are now self supporting. I think I should write my representative and senator.

Looks like we will start to see a marked increase in the amount of alien’s travel documents being issued.

The IRS should change the requirement for US citizens being classified as foreign residents from 330 days outside the US to 183 days. It really annoys me than I cannot visit home for only 35 days a year.

Key points to consider:

• Only legally enforceable federal tax debt totaling more than $50,000 (including interest and penalties, but subject to an inflation adjustment) for which:

• A notice of federal tax lien has been filed and all administrative remedies under IRC § 6320 have lapsed or been exhausted

• A levy has been issued

So anyone in this situation will nearly always already know in advance.

1 Like

If you qualify as a bona fide resident of Taiwan, you can spend longer in the U.S. without having any problems. I usually spend at least two months a year there.

This only applies if you owe US$50,000 or more in taxes, keep in mind.

1 Like

If you owe a small amount and don’t pay it or you haven’t been filing your taxes at all, I would imagine with interest and penalties, you might eventually reach that amount.

Thanks for the clarification IRS Chris. :+1:

It also only counts if you have already been notified of a debt and have not attempted to resolve the debt.

1 Like

Hmmm. . It costs $2,500 for an expat to give up a U.S. passport but if you owe the Party $50,000 in dues, penalties and FATCA fees they’ll revoke it for free.

Revoking a passport by the IRS still means you are a citizen.

I really need compassionate help. I’ve had a number of years off the grid. I am totally dyslexic and have great number anxiety. Even though income is low, there may be a question of being self employed or not.I get taxed so I’m not sure what my status even is. If there is a tax preparer who can talk to me under confidentiality, please private message me.
I live in hicksville and our family accountant doesn’t understand international tax law. No one does.
There was a woman on this board that called herself an “independent agent” of the IRS and she goes around helping people? I’m leery of talking to someone like that because, if they are an “agent” does that mean they don’t work for you? OK. Please send me a private message. Then we can have an off the record chat.

It’s the Snowden effect. Edward Snowden is still a citizen of the USSA even though his passport has been revoked for revealing that the Party is spying on its citizens. Nonethless Russia is planning to give him citizenship even though dual citizenship is illegal there. Taiwan has a similar policy.

In other words, it’s not an issue that any of us would have to worry about.

If you’re self-employed in Taiwan and haven’t been paying your 15% self-employment tax for several years you’re probably qualified for this program.

The IRS is very friendly if you contact them. You may pay penalties for not paying taxes, not filing income tax forms, etc. , but they aren’t going to try to throw you in jail. They really try to help people first and if you are trying, then they will work with you. They will even help loan you money at a low interest rate and low monthly payment if you owe them and don’t have the money. The key is contacting them and show that you are trying so that they put a halt on any other legal actions they may be considering.

It’s the people that blatantly break the tax law that get in bad trouble like jail.

Consider getting on Skype or some other cheap international calling method and giving them a call after you review their webpage.