Is an FBI background check needed to work at a kindergarden in Taiwan?

Is it easy to get a restaurant job in Taiwan? I’d be happy just cleaning toilets. I just need money so I can leave next month

i’m guessing this wasn’t summer. Point to consider, unless you’re a Mormon.

1 Like

Dude, I have no idea about the toilet cleaning business. I also have no idea why you’re selling yourself short when you have a degree and TEFL cert. Have you even tried applying to other schools, academies besides this one racist Kindy?

2 Likes

Ha! Even they don’t wear full suits when biking around in the heat. Just slacks, a white shirt and tie. You’d have to be nuts to bike in a suit here.

Yes, i have and the line convo i posted wasnt from a kindy, it was from a recruiter. A friend of mine found the job im going to interview at tomorrow.

I have had several interviews but none of them will hire me. They prefer a white face. Another recruiter told me that i will have problems finding a job because of my skin color.

A few days ago, i was talking to a black guy who’s been in Taiwan 10 years, has been to 150 interviews and only received 4 offers.

I just need the money so I can leave this place next month

it is illegal you work without a work permit, and it is almost impossible any employer gets a work permit for you to do a cleaning toilets job. Work permit for a restaurant job is hard too.

Off topic.

Yes, I’ve read @yyy’s posts and some related laws. The point is the right qualifications to teach kindergarten students. They are not TEFL or similar certificates, but a degree or license related to early childhood education valid in taiwan, which I guess many kindy teachers do not have.

Keep in mind it’s illegal for a foreigner to work at a kindergarten.

I believe this is not true as others mentioned. If you have the right qualifications to work with young children. You can.

You can work with young children, but technically kindergartens aren’t allowed to be bilingual. Of course this being Taiwan there will be a loophole or three and you’ll have a dozen ESLbros swearing on their mothers grave that this is the case.

Sandra King?!? :smiley: :heart_eyes: :smile: :heart_eyes_cat: :rainbow:

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. :+1:

Unless there’s been a terrible misunderstanding, this lovely lady was inviting you to work illegally, not gray area legally but black (sorry) area illegally. If caught you would have been fined and deported.

That old post of mine explains it in a complicated way. I’ll try to make it short:

1. A normal foreigner cannot legally work in a kindergarten.
  2. A foreigner with open work rights (PR etc.) can, with the necessary qualifications.
  3. It’s illegal for a kindergarten to have foreign language classes, period.
  4. When a work permit is issued for a foreigner to work at a kindergarten, it’s because (a) the kindergarten is masquerading as a buxiban, which is illegal, or (b) the kindergarten is technically separate from the buxiban but probably next door with the wall between them torn down or a similar arrangement, which is also illegal at least as far as the work permit is concerned (so the teacher can still be fined and deported).
  5. The fact that these illegal things go on all the time (and more or less openly) causes people to be cynical about the rule of law.

Afaik you can’t get a work permit as a custodian, sanitation worker, dishwasher, waiter, etc. If in doubt, ask the Workforce Development Agency for the full list of jobs in the “specialized or technical work (專門性或技術性之工作)” category.

About background checks, the change in the law is only for buxibans. Other employers can choose to require them.

Do you have a teaching license or just a TEFL certificate? With a license, you should be able to work at a public school or private school (not to be confused with a buxiban, which is usually translated as “cram school”). I once saw the website of a school in Tamsui, “Tamkang High School” or a similar name, that advertised several African American teachers. If you’re willing to stay longer, I suppose it doesn’t hurt to try contacting them.

Can you act? @Toe_Save might know people who would hire you.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your response. A few questions:

So, I should not worry about being asked for my fbi check since this is a kindergarden or preschool- not really a buxiban?

Are you teaching in Taiwan or a recruiter?

Any other job suggestions?

Thanks

You shouldn’t worry, because you shouldn’t take the illegal job anyway.

Or would you like to be deported, to save the cost of a plane ticket? :idunno: If that happens, please let us know! (For Sandra’s sake, I mean! :smile:)

Buxibans and kindergartens are all registered with the local education department and should display their licenses. If in doubt you can look them up (if you can read Chinese).

Again, you only need a background check if you’re going to work in a buxiban or if the employer wants it. There are legal non-buxiban jobs available, if you have a teaching license. There are also legal non-teaching jobs available, though getting a work permit is not always easy. Search for threads about non-teaching jobs, look up the facebook group dedicated to non-teaching jobs in Taiwan, advertise yourself here (in Forumosafieds) and on other websites like Tealit, and ask around in person.

I’m not a recruiter and can’t offer anything else.

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

Id rather work the illegal job for a few weeks them use that money to fly out of here. You dont think i’ll get caught in 3 weeks, do you?

Will Itsmeee get caught? @discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

1 Like

There are believed to be many foreigners working illegally and getting away with it, but many have been caught, and we neither promote nor condone illegal activities.

Discobot (aka the God-Emperor) is not infallible, but it has an impressive track record, so beware. :robot: :police_car: :policewoman: :policeman: :man_judge:

1 Like

yes, you should, because they will apply to the authority your work permit as a buxiban teacher which needs a background check. As @yyy explained, they cannot hire you as a kindergarten teacher/educare giver/assistant legally, so hire you as a buxiban teacher on paper and let you work at kindergarten.

Signs point to yes. :slight_smile:

I’ve just noticed Phoenix Group Asia’s website has a fabulous new design, and the English version has very useful information that wasn’t there before!

http://www.phoenixgroup.asia/faqs

That last one is especially promising, for a Taoyuan based company! :grinning:

Speaking of which, the address on the website (桃園市桃園區春日路987之2號3樓) doesn’t match the official registered address (桃園市桃園區復興路80號2樓-1, last updated Sep. 15). Just saying.

so, you now have no intention to get a job to stay here, or if you could find a job, you would stay? The advice you need would depend on that.

And you entered Taiwan without a return ticket? The cheapest flight to us is about NT$15000, right?

Wait. If you happen to be here with a so-called working holiday visa, you can do almost every job you think of.