Is it possible to get an APRC while studying if you have a pension and pay taxes?

I was reading some older posts, but I cannot find anything directly related. I saw “toe save” looking for background models, which seemed interesting.

I have a small disability pension, just enough to live on. I would be interested in either studying and/or working part-time and/or … throw some suggestions my way.

I don’t mind paying the 5% tax on my pension income if necessary, but it would also be great to work at something.

The end goal is to obtain an APRC and not have to leave.

I haven’t found anything much by going to the … Consulate equivalent Trade something in my home country … to explain if this is even possible.

I have a degree from McMaster University iin Canada, and various subjects from Aussie universities and a short stint as a research assitant at UBC and an Air Force officer in the RAAF, and I have lived and worked on yachts (not super yachts) and done a bit of research SCUBA diving long ago, and … I am open to learning new tricks.
Oh yes, I also have a certificate that says I am qualified to teach English and I would be interested in freelance-ish teaching English to Business professionals and … a couple other things up-my-sleeve.

Any information that would help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Whether you qualify for an APRC or not is entirely dependent upon your purpose of residence. According to article 25, sentence 2 of the Immigration Act, any time spend in Taiwan while your purpose of residence is studying(居留事由:就學)does not count towards the 5 year residence period required for an APRC.

You may of course come as a white collar worker and study on the side, in which case your residence purpose is not studying. Some people establish representative offices of overseas companies and after 5 years obtain an APRC. The benefit of this option would be less scrutiny in terms of income requirements. There are several threads on this process already.

In some countries if you have a pension they allow that as income, and then I would not need to work fulltime. I haven’t found anything that really touches on bringing in a lifetime pension as a source of income.
Thank you. I will keep looking.

The problem is not whether you have a pension, the issue is your purpose of residence. To qualify for an APRC, you need 5 years of residence on an ARC with a qualifying residence purpose. Receiving an overseas pension does not fall under any residence purpose.

You may qualify for a so called “Plum Blossom Card,” which works more or less like an APRC if you either invest into a business that provides employment opportunities, or ROC government bonds. You are looking at several tens of millions NT$ investment in the latter case however.

If you have a passport issued by one of English speaking countries, the easiest way to get an ARC is to be employed as an English teacher at a buxiban. Minimum working hour for a buxiban teacher to get a work permit is 14 hours per week. You can live here legally on income from the 14hr/week job providing your ARC and your pension.

You cannot do freelance legally without an open work permit which comes with an APRC or being married to a local.

And while we’re at it, if you happen to find true love, a marriage ARC means you don’t even need to work (while working towards your APRC).

Or, it might mean you must work harder to support more than one.

This is the same in every country. LOL

Thank you. That helps the process of elimination. :slight_smile:

Now I see the draw of buxiban.
Yes. I come from an English speaking country and have a degree and certificate to teach TESOL/TEFL/TESL … and Business English. The latter would be my preferred.
I am exploring options so that I can study full time and work the least time and still reach the end goal.

There is one other possibility, but I am not sure how to find recruitment. If anyone knows please send me ideas.
I trained as a butler this past year, hoping to find work as a Corporate Butler. I have only found companies who recruit in N America, Europe, the Middle East and specifically China under those umbrellas.
If anyone knows of a recruitment agency that hires for Taiwan specifically I would love to have a name or link. Thank you.

As @hsinhai78 said, a student ARC won’t give you APRC.

I think there was a discussion whether a foreigner on a work based ARC can enter college. Though I don’t remember the conclusion of the thread, I think maybe it is ok, if your work schedule allows it. Language school should be no problem, because many tourists are taking short-term full-time courses without visa.

I’m not sure they can get a work permit for a butler. You may check Article 46 of Employment Service Act .

1 Like

The MOL decides what jobs fall under Subpar. 1 (“specialized and technical work” or whatever they call it), and once in a while they add something new. But yes, this one sounds unlikely.

Thank you @hsinhai78.
Corporate butlers are a bit different than household staff. It’s a corporate security position.

All this information helps me to explore options. I will check out the link.

this tells more details on “specialized and technical work"

Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act