Is it really essential to have an ARC before I can buy a scooter?

I am still waiting for my ARC to be processed but would really like to buy a scooter now cos Taichung’s public transport is well not so good. At the moment I am borrowing my girlfriend’s scooter but it would be much better if I had my own. Also who should I get insurance from and do I have to get a Taiwanese license. I have an Australian motorcycle license and an international license as well. Are those sufficient or will I have to do another test here?? Thanks Erick

Your licenses are NOT sufficient, because you are Australian (as am I).
Only Americans (as far as I know) can survive on their international licenses. (Btw, your international license will expire in 1 month after coming to Taiwan, that’s the rules here.)

I rode my scooter for well over a year without a license, although I don’t recommend it, it was never a problem with regards to being pulled up by police (it just never happened).

You NEED an ARC to buy a scooter under your name.
But if you want one now, get the bike put under your g/f’s name (hope your relationship is good though, wouldn’t want her reporting you for stealing [your] her bike after you break up).

^ That is also the easiest way to get the bike, and faster too.

If you were to do it yourself (in my experience), you would have to go with the bike owner, or motor bike shop owner, with your ARC and other details to the transport department (the DMV, right?). My wife just handed over her ID to the bike shop, along with her chop (stamp), and they handled the rest.
I

I was told that my international license was useful only if I ran out of toilet paper (am a 'Muricun) :slight_smile:

i felt sort of ripped off after i got my scooter license - i was like “wtf do i need this for?”

i still haven’t bothered to get my vehicle license (yeah i know, i’m bad)
i have my international license in the car - i’ll pull that out and claim ignorance, if need be
“Wo dong bu ting… ting wo bu dong… bu dong ting wo” always good for confusing people :wink:

wo ting bu dong… :!:

[quote=“Da_Bian”]Your licenses are NOT sufficient, because you are Australian (as am I).
Only Americans (as far as I know) can survive on their international licenses. (Btw, your international license will expire in 1 month after coming to Taiwan, that’s the rules here.)[/quote]
AFAIK you should get your international licence (it has motorcycle entitlement, right?) stamped by the DMV whereupon it will be valid for a year. If the 1 month has already passed, however, I’m not sure.

You have to buy the Mandatory 3rd party insurance at the same time as you get the bike in your name. There are insurance shops around the DMV offices.

As for insurance for the bike itself, forget it unless it’s a new bike.

I needed an ARC to register my bike, plus the co-oeration of the previous owner - she was the ex-gf of the guy I bought it from, and I think she was making him sell it as it was in her name and they were no longer together.

The DMV guy directed me to an insurance shop close by, and they did their business in about 15 minutes.

At no point during the process did anyone ask to see a license, and my californian one (cars only) has been sufficient on the three occasions when I’ve had to produce it. I will get a local one soon, honest.

Erick, have you tried contacting Jeremy at Bikefarm?

[quote=“Da_Bian”]Your licenses are NOT sufficient, because you are Australian (as am I).
Only Americans (as far as I know) can survive on their international licenses. (Btw, your international license will expire in 1 month after coming to Taiwan, that’s the rules here.)[/quote]

I had my International license stamped by the DMV, and I’ve not had any problems. I had to show it once when my car got towed, and another time when a cop asked to see my license and registration. No trouble either time.

Thanks very much for your help guys. Stragbasher is Jeremy at Bikefarm in Taichung?? If so where is he located and how would I get in contact with him?? Any other advice about where I should buy a scooter in Taichung?? Any good places anyone can recommend?? Also could someone please tell me where a DMV office is in Taichung?? I live on Kungyi Rd near the Londoner pub. So if there is an office not too far from there that would be ideal. Did most of you guys buy a scooter from a shop or private seller?? My girlfriend told me to be a little wary of buying second hand bikes from some Taiwanese shops and I would imagine also some private sellers because many of them have been in accidents and then just patched up and re-sold. She suggested I buy it from a foreigner but I am not so sure. Do you get any kind of warranty if you buy second hand bikes from a shop?? Anyway thanks again for your advice. Erick

Erick,

First, the DMV for motorbikes is on Beitun Road. Sorry I can’t think of the name of the cross road there but it’s near the YMCA on Beitun.

Second, I wanted to recommend the shop where I have bought two bikes and get most of my servicing done. It’s call TSC Motors and it’s near Taichung Central. The address is No. 430-2 Jiann Cherng Road, Taichung. tel. 04 2211 8332 The boss’ name is Ho Chunta but everyone calls him Ada. He speaks some English and he can definetly set you up with a bike and handle getting your registration and insurance done. Hope this helps.

Hans

[quote=“Erick Morillo”]Did most of you guys buy a scooter from a shop or private seller?? My girlfriend told me to be a little wary of buying second hand bikes from some Taiwanese shops and I would imagine also some private sellers because many of them have been in accidents and then just patched up and re-sold. She suggested I buy it from a foreigner but I am not so sure. Do you get any kind of warranty if you buy second hand bikes from a shop?? Anyway thanks again for your advice.[/quote]Getting a bike from a foreigner will NOT make a difference for the better. Actually, often they are worse, especially if they’ve already passed through the hands of more than one foreigner.

For a discussion about buying second-hand bikes/scooters see here;
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=12285
Read right through it as Hexuan makes some good points.

There’s a used motorcycle buying checklist here;
clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
and another one here;
mcttw.tripod.com/used_bike_checklist.htm
Both of them have some points that are more applicable to buying bigger bikes in other countries, but there are still a lot of useful tips.

The best advice I can give you is don’t be in a hurry - have a good look round at what’s available and what going rates are before you make up your mind. Also, maybe take a bike enthusiast along with you when there’s a bike you like - preferably somebody Taiwanese so they can help you with the bargaining should you decide to buy it.

On warranties, I think most shops have a policy of fixing stuff within a month from the sale. But I wouldn’t expect too much - if the bike needs an engine rebuild, you are NOT going to get that on the warranty. I got a new motorcycle clutch on a warranty once but people said I was very lucky and normally the warranty is for labour, not significant new parts.

Ben was correct when he said that I would be able to take my Australian international license to the DMV and get it certified. Ben and Joe Sax do you have to renew your license every 3 months or does yours last 1 year??

Joe Sax said in an earlier post that they would certify my license for a year but it turned out that it only lasts 3 months but can be renewed I guess until your international permit expires.

Da Bian, just to let you know that I was able to get my international license certified by the DMV and I didn’t have to take any license test here. They just asked me for a passport photo and I also had to fill out a form and then they they stapled part of this form into my international license. The license is valid for only 3 months but can be renewed I guess multiple times and there was no charge.

I am not sure though whether I will be able to renew the license after July this year when my international permit expires. I guess the scooter license test which they make many foreigners take is for those people without a motorcycle license from there own country and also those without international licenses. Erick

I think I’ve heard of the international driving permit being stamped for a year. Maybe different DMVs have different policies. I really don’t know whether you could renew it after 3 months, but I’m pretty sure that you couldn’t extend the validity past the expiry of the IDP itself.

[Edit: for up-to-date info on IDPs, see this thread:
[Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits ]

I have to renew my Taiwanese motorcycle license when I renew my ARC. I would say it’s worth doing the test and getting getting a Taiwanese licence if you’re going to be here a while, especially if they’re only going to stamp your IDP for 3 months.

following the recommendations of other teachers, I just went out and bought a 50cc scooter from a foreigner, no license, no registration, but it did have a license plate. Got pulled over 3 times for that rule where you can’t turn right on a red light (is that really a rule since no one abides by it?)

And just pretend to speak no chinese…and VOILA…the officer smirks, waves you off cuz it’s too much hassle and catches the guy behind you. Or just play dumb and use a horrible accent with the limited chinese skills you have to explain you are visiting from Canada/USA/Europe…again…they just let me go.

Maybe it’s not so easy and i was just lucky…

1 Like