Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

I believe you are correct. :slight_smile:

As buxiban (cram) school teachers are subject to the Labor Standards Act, their minimum wage is the Basic Wage, currently $21,009 per month or $133 per hour, rising to $22,000 per month or $140 per hour on Jan 1.

And I would call it a subsidiary regulation of the Employment Service Act, fwiw.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Then it’s just the English teaching industry.

If 3013271.34 KRW/Month to 3332086 KRW/Month is an increase, Taiwan’s total wage is also increasing from 40289NTD/month in 2006 to 46919NTD/month in 2016.

Since people have re-opened this topic…

Update: I have been living and teaching in china (Im using a vpn) for a month. I live in a big apartment (4x’s the size in Taiwan) and I don’t pay for housing and utilities and i eat at my school which means free food!
All the teachers are nice and helpful. The principal has taken us out to eat a few times. I have a 3 day weekend and the job is not stressful at all. Plus, I’m learning Chinese!

1 Like

I compared Korea and Taiwan wages previous(y.
The main difference was Korea’s wages shot up in the 2000s while Taiwan was utterly stagnant for much of the period from 2000 to 2017.

That site is quite a load of bull.

Here is the average salary according to the figures of Korean official site (2015 census):

But of course people don’t get paid according to the COL, in the private sector at least. People get paid according to their value and/or what they are able to negotiate. What teachers should be getting paid is irrelevant. What is relevant is the supply and demand of teachers and students combined with the weak negotiating position of many teachers.

I can tell you there are very large salary differences in Korea between people who work for the big enterprises and SMEs and then others , especially older people in precarious employment.

I recall graduates salaries are something like two or three times level of Taiwan.

There also seems to be a big gap between male and female average salaries. Korea is a tough place rife with discrimination.

Certainly my Korean colleagues should get paid substantially more than my Taiwanese colleagues, although my Taiwanese ecolleagues get paid well for Taiwan.

They definitely get paid more but I don’t think they are happier, seems even worse than Japan to me!

I wonder what the process is for the central governing authority (would that be the government agency relevant to the work? or something else?) and the central competent authority (the Ministry of Labor) to get together and designate a given kind of work as eligible for the published wage.

Here’s the Chinese:

十五、其他經中央主管機關會商中央目的事業主管機關指定之工作。