Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

Work permit, Arc, and health insurance?

Others, any advices?

Not really. It’s been claimed here that ABC English teachers in Taiwan get paid less than people with white or light skin for the same job.

Do you think i should stay there or look for another job?

Do you think they’re taking advantage of me not knowing how much i should be paid?

How qualified are you for the position? Does your skill set warrant a higher salary?

Oh fuk that. Now i know i’m getting outta here.

I knew something was off. U pay me less just because i’m black? Bye

I have bachelor’s degree (in another profession), a tefl certificate and last year i was an assistant esl teacher to adults in te United States.

The owners (the one’s who hired me) know this

1 Like

Buxiban teachers are subject to the Basic Wage, which was 21k but is going up to 22k or something.

As for Americans, yes, they are special! :grinning: :rainbow:

http://tcc.export.gov/trade_agreements/all_trade_agreements/exp_005399.asp
http://law.moj.gov.tw/Law/LawSearchResult.aspx?p=C&k1=中華民國美利堅合眾國友好通商航海條約&t=C1C2&TPage=1

Afaik it makes no difference in this case.

If they ask you to start work before your work permit is issued (or before the starting date on the permit), they’re asking you to work illegally.

Of course, if you plan to leave after one month, but you tell them you’re planning to stay longer, that’s also an ethical problem.

If you can’t supply a background check certificate, they presumably can’t get a work permit for you. You can ask, though, if it’s still possible to sign an affidavit in lieu of the certificate.

2 Likes

It’s really unfortunate, but I’ve heard many stories about race and color playing a factor in employment and the pay. I’m Asian American, and it took me a while to get where I am now.

Here in south, I knew one girl who was just employed from Jamaica as her first job to replace me. She was getting about 54k full time with ARC and work permit. So, personally I think you can find better jobs. Again, it really depends on the buxibans’ managers and owners. It can be a hit and miss.

If that’s the case, I’d say you are quite underpaid.

Anyone taking a full-time teaching job for less than 65,000 NT a month is doing a tremendous disservice to the foreign teaching community in Taiwan. It only encourages schools to pay less and less. Full-time positions are worth 65,000 starting pay. They can be found, they can be had. If anyone insists on anything lower, walk away. Bonuses should be in addition to the 65,000.

Private schools are competitive and offer much, much more than that.

1 Like

So, you think i should work a month then leave for the higher paying job I’ve been hired at in china?

Depends. When do they actually pay you? If you plan on quitting in a month, there is always a chance they might not pay you (this is Taiwan after all). Safer to quit after you’re been paid.

1 Like

What does it matter what any of us think?

We don’t know you, you don’t know us. You are asking for serious life advice from complete strangers. Only you know what is best for you. I will be blunt: if you seriously don’t know what is the right financial decision to make in regards to something as simple as taking a job…you should never have left your parents house. You need to get your ducks all lined up in a row. Know your obligations and options. Then make the best choice for your situation.

If you took a crap job, then get out of it if you can.
If you signed a contract, fulfill it. Then leave when it is done.
Don’t break a contract.

If you did not sign anything and are not obligated to that job and you have other options, then YES go take the other option.

Best of luck.

5 Likes

Sadly, many schools use their native English teachers as a double occupation. Both English teaching and a model, I often get photographed and recorded while teaching. Both schools I work for tell their clients that a native English speaker is teaching on specific days. It’s almost like a status symbol for schools here to have attractive, light skinned males filling a teacher role.

That stated, you’re making about half what I’m making hourly and working much longer. You’re working about the same length and earning around the same as most Taiwanese English teachers I’ve spoken with here. I have not seen any advertised salaries less than $550/hr posted in the past 9 months of job hunting across 12 Facebook groups, craigslist, tealit, 1111, or any other job listing websites.

This. I’ve heard of people years ago bragging about $1,200~/hr. Just recently I found one job advertising $1000/hr. The reason schools are paying crap wages is because people are accepting it.

1 Like

Double post

:grinning:Well, I just finished my first day at my new school a few minutes ago.
When i get back to my city i’m going to the 711 and signing the contract for the China job.
When I say I was stared down all day… i mean kids (young and well into their teens) walking by my class looking at me, a girl (no less than 16 years old) backed back as I was walking towards her. Some little girl pointed at me to her friend and laughed- and then I find out i’m making half what I’m supposed to make? I know i’m in the country part of Taiwan but yea. The end of Next month I’m gone.
Say what you want about China but at least I know I have a job that pays well and it’ll actually be something I want to do (teaching ADULTS). So, yea, they can stare and even be doubly as racist but I’ll be happy with what i’m doing, wont have to commute an hour to work each day and will save double what I save in Taiwan.

1 Like

Do what you like, but you’re really thinking too much of it. You’re going to experience something similar in China. This isn’t America, children aren’t accustomed to seeing people of all shapes, sizes, and colors. America has traditionally been called a “melting pot” due to a unique mixture of every kind of person. On the other side, Taiwanese children are not accustomed to seeing people that are not Asian, let alone black.

Let me break it down into easier to follow parts.

1. Laughing. This is part of Taiwanese culture, it takes time to understand. When I first arrived in Taiwan, a 7/11 clerk couldn’t understand what I was saying. Her response was to make a scene, trying to find someone to translate, and laughing at me. I know this person pretty well now, she laughed because she was nervous. Taiwanese people laugh and smile at nearly everything.

2. Backing up. Students back up or stand against a wall when you walk towards them. I’m not sure why, all kids do this, in every school I’ve worked in.

3. “Racist.” Stop throwing this word around. They’re not racist. You even claimed to be in the countryside here, how many Taiwanese kids do you think get to interact with someone that looks differently here? I’m a white guy, when I first moved to Taipei even I got stared at pretty often. But I’ve only had one “racist” encounter in my entire time here. There’s a difference between not having experience, and intentionally offending someone.

You’re going to experience similar situations in China. I really hope you react better over there, they’ve been known to deport people over simple things like speaking against their government. It’s not a democracy. And I’m pretty sure this is one of thousands of blocked websites in China.

4 Likes

Of course you can be nonchalant about it. You’re the complete opposite of what I am- white and a male- 2 things they worship here which is why you’re paid double what I am. I dont care about not being able to come to this site or any other site aside from youtube and lipstick alley- at least not enough to keep me from going. Taiwan is playing games with me and i literally dont have time for it

3 Likes

seems like you are over exaggerating a bit? they are going to be more racist in china. so if you are shocked by some kids pointing at you i can’t imagine you would be too happy with some of things chinese people are going to say to you.

work wise it ain’t a walk in the park either over there. chinese bullshit all day long and don’t see anything wrong with it.