Is the Bible anti-gay?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

Jesus felt quite strongly about the “Old Testament nonsense”

It’s in the Bible but there’s a huge range of interpretations as to exact meaning. And my central point remains, Jesus, if he came back today, would be all for same-sex marriage and anything else that’s done in the name of love. He’d be less enamored of child-raping Catholic priests and the like.

That’s a pretty big hypothetical. It was Adam and Eve, after all, not Adam and Adam.

I agree with you to a point–I think some of those statements are pretty explicit in their meaning. To me, it’s as simple as saying “I don’t agree with that” which doesn’t make me think less of anyone’s beliefs. Just recognize that it means the Bible isn’t some kind of infallible guide to how people should live their lives, and that to some degree we now are making the decisions about what’s valuable and what’s not.

It wouldn’t be Adam and Adam, that’d just be silly. Maybe Adam and Bert.

1 Like

I think you may have just started a new religion. All hail the Bear Prophet!

1 Like

But the greatest commandment is where the true value of Christianity should lie: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself”. The point being, you don’t look at your neighbor and say, well he’s a mad gayer, or he has dark skin, or he eats funny smelling food, therefore I shall treat him as morally inferior to me.

If you read the whole passage in context, he was speaking of what theologians call (I think) ‘salvation by grace’ and what social scientists would call something like ‘development of conscience’. His point was not that the law should be deleted as such, but that it was possible to transcend the law.

LoveLP

I don’t see how I said anything to contradict that. Sounds fine to me, and its value clearly transcends Christianity. That’s right out of Leviticus as well (one of the nicer parts):

Qualified a bit by “own people” though. Jesus stepped up a bit on that point I believe. If you just took the sayings of Jesus you’d have a better book IMO. That’s not what “The Bible” is though.

Oh well, I guess somebody beat you to it.

Yes, in the case of the Amalekites, the Bible kind of contradicted itself: Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.

Which is kind of the problem with the Good Book, it’s a bit all over the place. One moment it’s a big old love-in and the next moment its damning people to eternal damnation for obscure dietary lapses.

2 Likes

Although Jesus didn’t address homosexuality, in fact he really doesn’t say much about sexuality at all. That may not be the best argument, omission is not the same as it’s ok. But however it’s clear that that Jesus didn’t hate anyone, so homosexuals would in that group. And anyone could gain the entrance into the kingdom of heaven through him, so that also would include homosexuals. He pretty much just said the most basic belief is treat each other like yourself due to the fact God love everyone even with transgressions (Sins) against him. NT is pretty clear on one thing, a marriage is between a man and a women forming a covenant before God. So honestly, I don’t get why Christians are upset about state sanction marriages allowing homosexuals, because a piece of paper issued by the state isnt the final authority of marriage for Christians in the Biblical sense

Even though the NT is pretty clear, that homosexuality is a sin, I guess the issue is what does that mean? First the NT is clear that sins are not for us to judge and that all sins are equal in the eyes of God and we are all inherently fallen and sinful. So for me, in according to the NT and the new covenant formed when Jesus was sacrificed, I don’t think the Bible (at least for Christians) is anti gay or gay hating, but the stance is that it’s not for us to judge and God is loving of all no matter what.

4 Likes

Does that mean God loves Roy Moore too? Kind of hoping he’ll end up burning in hell.

You mean isn’t I’m sure. I can never figure that out either.

1 Like

Yes thanks for finding that.

It would mean that according to the NT. I guess it’s the beauty of it, anyone including Roy Moore could get salvation. I think it’s why some of the people I know that have the strongest faith and even become pastors have a pretty dark past. Even Saul before his conversion and became Paul was literally a Christian hunter that persecuted Christians became an apostle and one of the most influential Christian apologists.

3 Likes

In Biblical days, I seriously doubt coming on to 14-year-olds would’ve been a sin. Things have changed a bit over the years.

I guess what you mean as coming onto someone. And there’s not exactly a rule book given to Christians by Jesus. Although some Christian authorities have made some rules and doctrines and dogma over the last 2000 years. The basic way to live is that you treat people Christ like the best you can knowing you will always come up short. But looking at Jesus, he was especially found and caring of women in his words. I don’t think he would approve of anyone being a pervert to children.

Or as his campaign manager pointed out, 40 years ago in Alabama many parents would have been thrilled to have a DA hitting on their 14 year old daughter. :roll_eyes:

Dude’s still a piece of shit.