Is there money in the apps business?

I have a brilliant, beyond brilliant idea for an app. However, I wonder: is there a lotta money to be done? Doe sit have to be marketed aggressively? Are startup costs too much? Especially for a non technological person like Icon, I am concerned about some main points:

1. Programming the app: the content I have or can get, but the tech itself, a quick search shows many “make your app” programs. Is it that easy or should I hire someone who knows what they are doing?

2. If the content makes reference to books, movies or magazines, like “this stand was recommended by TripAdvisor/Taipei Walker” or “this famous bridge is featured in the movie No puedo vivir sin ti” kind of thing, is there some royalty/copyright conflict?

3. Can one make money of the app if it is given for free -ads space I guess- or is the only way to get some serious $$$ is to charge for it? Is retrieving that money a hassle?

Much appreciative for any assistance.

I am also interested in the apps business and I’ve done a bit of research, here’s my two cents.

I would say that depends on your business model.

At a start, probably but if your idea is something actually useful I don’t see why it wouldn’t have a lean growth.

Last time I checked the costs of a startup was around USD$15k ? At least to get a visa. Maybe you can pitch your idea in a startup competition or an incubator?

As to your main points:

Since you said your a non technological person, I would say you could try the “make your app programs”, see if you can make a working prototype to use in your pitches. If those programs don’t offer enough for your app then hire someone to do it.

I’m not really sure on this one but chances are that you would have to check with the sites you would be referencing to for any license fees. I’ve read about some apps being pulled from the play store for having a screenshot of a movie or book (the solution was to do more of a “parody” of the cover).

You can make money from ads, all depends on how many users your app has. There are other options to monetizing an app besides ads and charging for it. As to retrieving the money, what do you mean? retrieving it from your bank account?

have a look at this site… I am of the mindset that we can succeed by studying other people’s failures.

[url]http://autopsy.io/[url]

here is also Taiwan based resource for startups/entrepreneurs. It’s main focus currently is in e-commerce and how to get things done in Taiwan.

http://tesa.today

Most appreciative for your feedback. Will analyze options accordingly.