Ishigaki Island (250km east of TW) by ship (2011)

[quote=“KanPi”]
Cargo ferry service between Keelung (Jilong) (Taiwan) and Ishigaki, Miyako starts again after a gap of three years.

The problem is that right now there is freight waiting to be taken from Taiwan to Ishigaki and Miyako, but not much waiting to go from our islands to Taiwan, and it is therefore not yet clear if and when the envisioned service can/will start (moving empty ships around is not profitable - that’s one reason why the previous ferry service went out of business a few years ago). With the sitaution as it is, freight to Ishigaki and Miyako is being shipped indirectly, via Naha (Okinawa Island) or ports in Kyuushu, so we all are thinking ahrd about how to change the situation. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure which part of the previous post you refer to with “that” (passenger service? freight and passenger service?), and could you also explain why you think the KMT won’t let what happen?

[quote=“yuli”]

I’m not sure which part of the previous post you refer to with “that” (passenger service? freight and passenger service?), and could you also explain why you think the KMT won’t let what happen?[/quote]

I was referring to the passenger service, and I was a bit drunk and snarky at the time. I do stand by the comment though.

Improving links between Taiwan and Japan is not exactly part of the KMT platform.

Seems to me Taiwan and Japan have one of the closest bilateral relations in the world, how can it get any closer?

The next time Japan visits, it could “accidentally” leave a toothbrush in the bathroom.

Actually, it’s not quite so: there are many people and organisations that have very good relations and many politicians have a hand in this, as well, but on the other hand our government is officially taking pains to ignore Taiwan as much as possible (we suspect most of the politicians are afraid of incurring disapproval on part of China). For example, much to our shame there still has been no official “thank you” to the people of Taiwan for their enormous support after the March earthquake and tsunami. But good relations exist nevertheless, because many individual citizens are creating and maintaining relationships across the border between the two countries - on the Japanese side this is especially true for the people of/in Okinawa. And one big advantage of these kinds of provate initiatives and activities is that we don’t have to tie ourselves into knots pretending Taiwan is not a country, the way our (cowardly, boring, obsolete, calcified - excuse me :bow: ) government does.
Here is one example of a completely non-official relationship where there is even a small English version available (most Japan-Taiwan related websites come - not surprisingly, if you ask me - without English versions):
strongheart.jp/nittai-sc/en
:2cents:

消す

Okinawans have always been closer to Taiwan (literally and figuratively) then mainland Japanese and are themselves sometimes slightly looked down upon by mainland japanese (i am told).

Japan did give Taiwan two Cranes as appreciation for the monies given for the quake. But yes they are very careful to politically excuse themselves from the KMT held Taiwan. I don’t think they historically are too close to the KMT (nor the CCP). They did fight a war with the then KMT held China you know.

It’s just like Romeo and Juliet really. A tragic love affair with dumb, overbearing parents preventing the consummation of what comes naturally to geographically connected entities.

YOu think okinawa should be part of taiwan?

YOu think okinawa should be part of Taiwan?[/quote]

No. I just think Okinawa and Taiwan should be able to love one another without the interference of overbearing Imperial entities.

YOu have a point since at one time i believe both were known as the Ryukyus (sp) And okinawa still is.

I would like Okinawa to be part of Taiwan. Then I could go and live there.

I’m yet to meet a Japanese person from anywhere in Japan who’s been here and not loved it. To Japan, we are awesome.

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I would like Okinawa to be part of Taiwan. Then I could go and live there.

I’m yet to meet a Japanese person from anywhere in Japan who’s been here and not loved it. To Japan, we are awesome.[/quote]

just had an interesting thought. MAybe Okinawa is what TAiwan would be like if it had stayed Japanese territory?

消す

This is a significant step in advancing Taiwan Japan relations. I don’t understand how anyone can say the current KMT administration is not interested in maintaining or improving ties with Japan.

Taiwan, Japan Sign Investment Accord in ’Stepping Stone’ to FTA

bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-2 … o-fta.html

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I would like Okinawa to be part of Taiwan. Then I could go and live there.

I’m yet to meet a Japanese person from anywhere in Japan who’s been here and not loved it. To Japan, we are awesome.[/quote]

just had an interesting thought. MAybe Okinawa is what TAiwan would be like if it had stayed Japanese territory?[/quote]

I often wonder what Taiwan would’ve been like if it stayed Japanese. I think it would have been awesome.

There is always the possibility of getting cheap tickets on short notice (a few days before departure) if there are still empty rooms at that time, but that option is not useful for people who have to be in a certain place at a certain time.
Anyway, there are still flights: viewtopic.php?f=177&t=97219&start=48