Ishigaki Island (250km east of TW) - direct flights 2011

The homepage for the free concerts on June 26:

begin1990.com/utanohi/ (unfortunately not available in English - but people who can read Chinese will get the important points from the Japanese)

Other pages with related information (only in Japanese, sorry):

blog.fmyokohama.jp/ryukyu/2011/05/in-03ea.html
headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110 … minkei-oki
ameblo.jp/jioi/entry-10857228993.html

And something unrelated that i accidentally came across: information in English about the traditional dragon boat races in Ishigaki on June 5:
okinawa-information.com/cont … e-ishigaki (our races are traditionally held on the 4th day of the 5th month of the soli-lunar calendar, which is, i think, one day earlier than the races in Taiwan)

TransAsia has announced an additional flight in August, which means the current schedule for their package tours looks like this:

leave, return (stay)

6/23, 6/26 (3 nights)
7/7, 7/10 (3 nights)
7/10, 7/14 (4 nights)
7/14, 7/17 (3 nights)
8/4/, 8/7 (3 nights)

If all you want is a ticket, you can negotiate your flight dates based on seat availablility…

Flight times on any of the scheduled days (Thursdays and Sundays):
GE6812 dep Hualien 16:25 arr Ishigaki 18:40 (J time)
GE6811 dep Ishigaki 19:30 (J time) arr Hualien 19:50

There are also connecting flights from/to Taipei - these are scheduled to arrive in Hualien at 15:35 and to leave Hualien at 20:40.

Return fares (flight ticket only) are said to be NT$8900 from Taipei and NT$8700 from Hualien; hotel package rates will depend on the selected hotel

For tickets please contact one of the following agencies:

大榮 (Daiei) daiei.com.tw/
Taipei 02-2522-3219
燦星 (Star Travel) startravel.com.tw/
Taipei 02-8178-3000, 02-6608-8155 / Shinbei 02-8919-9518 / Hsinshu 03-578-5377 / Taichung 04-3600-6799 / Tainan 06-293-3200 / Kaohsiung 07-969-6618
易飛網 (EZFly) ezfly.com/
Taipei 02-8161-1919 轉 4/5 台北市八德路三段2號14樓 / Taichung 04-2313-2006 台中市西屯區青海路一段129號 / Kaohsiung 07-291-1887 高雄市前金區中華三路73號
詠莉旅行社 (Wintour) wintour.ittms.com.tw/
Hualien 03-835-9477 花蓮市建國路286號

[quote=“yuli”]TransAsia has announced an additional flight in August, which means the current schedule for their package tours looks like this:

leave, return (stay)

6/23, 6/26 (3 nights)
7/7, 7/10 (3 nights)
7/10, 7/14 (4 nights)
7/14, 7/17 (3 nights)
8/4, 8/7 (3 nights)
[/quote]
Add to that the following now:
8/18, 8/21 (3 nights)
8/21, 8/25 (4 nights)
8/25, 8/28 (3 nights)
:slight_smile:

An update on available flights:

leave, return (stay)

7/28, 7/31 (3 nights) <- recently added information
8/4/, 8/7 (3 nights)
8/18, 8/21 (3 nights)
8/21, 8/25 (4 nights)
8/25, 8/28 (3 nights)

The fare has gone up slightly (the summer holiday season on both sides of the water puts upward pressure on fares):
I just paid NT$10,000 for a return ticket for the early August flight…

TransAsia’s agent in Hualien keeps telling me that the flight dates for September are not yet available, and TransAsia’s homepage has not yet been updated, either.
OTOH, Daiei in Taipei has on their website the flight dates for direct flights from Hualien to Ishigaki (with connecting flights from/to Taipei Songshan):

leave / return - length of stay

09-15 (Thu) / 09-18 (Sun) - 3 nights
09-18 (Sun) / 09-22 (Thu) - 4 nights
09-22 (Thu) / 09-25 (Sun) - 3 nights
10-13 (Thu) / 10-16 (Sun) - 3 nights
10-16 (Sun) / 10-20 (Thu) - 4 nights
10-20 (Thu) / 10-23 (Sun) - 3 nights

These would also be afternoon/evening flights. Will keep trying to get more information…

Was able to confirm the dates today - even though they are not yet shown on TransAsia’s homepage, i was told that they are as shown above.
Departure and Arrival times as follows (note that Japan’s clocks are set one hour ahead of Taiwan’s clocks):

Connecting flight from Taipei:
GE0011 Dep TSA 14:35-15:00 - Arr HUN 15:10-15:35
Taiwan to Ishigaki:
GE6812 HUN 16:00-16:30 - Arr ISG 18:10-18:30 (subtract 1 hour from calculated travel time)

Ishigaki to Taiwan:
GE6811 Dep ISG 19:00-19:30 - Arr HUN 19:10-19:30 (add 1 hour to calculated travel time)
Connecting flight to Teipei:
GE0016 Dep HUN 20:10-20:40 - Arr TSA 20:50-21:15

Note: Depending on who i talk to and which flyer i see, the departure and arrival times differ within a range of about 30 minutes, so i can post here only a range for departure and arrival times, not exact times. In addition, based on my experience with well over a dozen flights now, the actual times often differ from the posted times (without an explanation being given): for example, the departure time posted at Hualien airport for the flight i took in early August was 16:30 at the counter and 16:05 at the gate, but we did not start boarding until about 16:25 and left at 16:40. And it has also happened that the scheduled flight time of 80 minutes turned out to be only 55 minutes - the plane (ATR 72) is relatively small, and it seems the plane’s load and the wind conditions have a stronger influence on the flying speed than they would in the case of a larger jet plane - whatever happens, it’s best to quickly adjust to “island time”…

Here are the TransAsia agents i know of in Taiwan:

詠莉旅行社 wintour.ittms.com.tw/
Hualien 03-835-9477 花蓮市建國路286號
大榮 gogojp.com.tw/
Taipei 02-2522-3219
燦星 startravel.com.tw/
Taipei 02-8178-3000
Shinbei 02-8919-9518
Hsinshu 03-578-5377
Taichung 04-3600-6799
Tainan 06-293-3200
Kaohsiung 07-969-6618
易飛網 ezfly.com/
Taipei 02-8161-1919 台北市八德路三段2號14樓
Taichung 04-2313-2006 台中市西屯區青海路一段129號
Kaohsiung 07-291-1887 高雄市前金區中華三路73號

double post

[quote=“yuli”]leave / return - length of stay

09-22 (Thu) / 09-25 (Sun) - 3 nights[/quote]
I just received a notice that a travel agency in Ishigaki has been advertising their October schedule where they mentioned an additional flight on October 2 - that would suggest the possibility of additional short-term trips:

09-25 (Sun) / 09-29 (Thu) - 4 nights
09-29 (Thu) / 10-02 (Sun) - 3 nights

[quote]10-13 (Thu) / 10-16 (Sun) - 3 nights
10-20 (Thu) / 10-23 (Sun) - 3 nights[/quote]

Today i was able to confirm the schedule for September and October - here it is:
(one flight date is different from what i had posted a few days ago)

September:
09-22 (Thu) / 09-25 (Sun) - 3 nights

October:
10-02 (Sun) / 10-06 (Thu) - 4 nights
10-06 (Thu) / 10-13 (Thu) - 7 nights
10-13 (Thu) / 10-16 (Sun) - 3 nights
10-20 (Thu) / 10-23 (Sun) - 3 nights

November:
there could possibly be two flights at the beginning of November, but the airline company cannot give out any related information yet

It appears, as if there could be be some flights until the second half of November after all, and a flight going for New Years (western calendar) was also mentioned: rumours form various sources have it that some politicians and organisations from both sides of the water wish to visit the respective other sides in November on the occasions of certain public events that take place (the annual Ishigaki Island Festival, Yonaguni Marathon, etc.) and one 50-year anniversary, but none of the travel agencies have (or want to give out) any details - so i think i’ll make a call directly to the head office in Taipei on Monday to see whether there is any new information to be had.

Just returned from 4 days Ishigaki. Great experience, a very beautiful and nice small island! Thanks a lot to Yuli for providing such a wealth of information, without you I wouldn’t even have known it exists :slight_smile:

Some hints for people who want to go as well:

I used DTS, cost for the return tickets Taipei Songshan - Hualien - Ishigaki was ~10.000 NTD per person

[quote]大榮 (Daiei) gogojp.com.tw/
DTS TOUR AGENCY TEL:02-25223219
Sales - Noelle
[/quote]

Just make sure you pick up your luggage in Hualien, and check it in again. in Taipei they told me the luggage would go directly, but turned out that’s not correct. The flight with Transasia Airways is very short (35 minutes to Hualien, and a bit more than an hour to Ishigaki).

If you want to rent a car, better call up front, since sometimes they don’t have many cars left there. I used Toyota, which is right next to the Airport. They will pick you up by bus, and after returning the car bring you back there: rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html reservation only by telephone. If you didn’t reserve (like me) then go to the information at Ishigaki airport, they can hopefully connect you with a car rental service. Any car is OK on that island, seriously! I had the smallest 1000cc Toyota, which was already oversized given the speed limits there (40 mostly, some eastern streets 50). Caution, left hand driving! Fun though. No speed cameras visible anywhere, though. I don’t remember the exact price, but I think this was ~8K NTD. It came with a mostly Japanese GPS, after some playing around I found the best way was to enter the telephone number of where you want to go, and it will guide you there. Also looking up on Google maps or on a paper map first (bring one, or get one from the car rental) and then just scrolling and zooming till you find it helps. YOu have to press some symbol for getting north up first, else the island can look pretty weird and it is hard to find stuff :slight_smile:

I booked a room at hotel cucule (“heart” in the local language) over booking.com, because the local booking is only in Japanese. I found it using Tripadvidor, which so far didn’t let em down finding nice hotels abroad. Price was also ~10K NTD for a double room 3 nights. Small, clean, comfortable. Right next to the “city center”, if oyu can call it like that, and the port. Free parking across the street. Don’t speak much English, but it’s enough to get by. The small restaurant connected to it is quite good I felt, and the only place opening in the afternoon where you can still get something nice to eat (grilled Ishigaki beef and sashimi in my case) before the flight back leaves. Most other restaurants open at 17:00 or so.

To find stuff to do, try:
wikitravel.org/en/Ishigaki
ishigaki-japan.com/

I can especially recommend:

Climb Mount Nosoko for an astonishing view. Caution, only the “long” way is open right now, the short cut is closed.

Go snorkeling. Maybe you might want to take a guided tour which takes you out to the reef on a boat. They know the nicest spots. If you go by yourself, you might find the super shallow water in many places where the reefs are most accessible very uncomfortable to swim in. Not to speak of disturbing the reef fauna and flora, which should be avoided at all costs.

Enjoy the beaches, especially the less known ones. Think “a tropical beach for you alone”, you are not too far off. But even the most accessible beach near the airport, in prime season (till October), on a Saturday afternoon, was not crowded at all. Maybe… I don’t know. 25 people in total?

Eat. If you don’t speak Japanese (like me) it will be a bit hard, since English or Chinese is not prevalent at all. Reading Chinese you will be able to figure out some stuff, due to same characters used. Make sure you find places with pictures ion the menu, or even the rare restaurant that has an English menu. Or take one of the Japanese language free guide books you get everywhere, select by photo, find that restaurant, and point at what you want :slight_smile:

Note: Ishigaki Beef is DELICIOUS! Too bad that during my stay there no one served beef sashimi. Why? No idea. Even the few people speaking English could not give any more explanation than “You know, they have troubles in mainland Japan right now, so cannot serve raw beef. We have raw fish though if you want?”. I have no idea what locally bred ishigaki cattle, served locally, have to do with anything in mainland Japan though. Well, my solution was to go to a place where you BBQ your beef on your own, and just eat some raw. No idea what kind of disease I will get, but that was very, very good. Highly recommended, but not the most cheap food on earth for sure.

If you have some more time, it is surely interesting to dive into the local culture and history. Probably several parallels to Taiwan, too, since the island was not always Japanese either…

Thanks for the detailed report! Nothing is as good as first-hand information… :slight_smile:

And here is an update on the flight schedule: November and December flight dates are as follows:

Nov 03 (Thu) / 06 (Sun) = 3 nights stay
Nov 20 (Sun) / 24 (Thu) = 4 nights stay

Dec 29 (Thu) / Jan 01 (Sun) = 3 nights stay

There is a chance some flights might be scheduled in the second half of January, for the CNY holiday… and if they plan for the winter and spring the same way they did this year, then there will likely be a long break, until April…

[quote=“yuli”]And here is an update on the flight schedule: November and December flight dates are as follows:

Nov 03 (Thu) / 06 (Sun) = 3 nights stay
Nov 20 (Sun) / 24 (Thu) = 4 nights stay

Dec 29 (Thu) / Jan 01 (Sun) = 3 nights stay[/quote]
Often quoting myself here. :laughing:
Just saw this incredibly low fare offer here for the flight at the end of December:
dtsgroup.com.tw/dtour/b2c_to … 103S4GE-TK
And in this case the fare from Hualien is 1000NT$ less than the fare from Songshan…

Perhaps also of interest to some: as a result of the new “open skies” agreement between Taiwan and Japan, TransAsia now offers considerably more connections to other places in Japan (smaller airports in various parts of the country).

Yeah just read that TransAsia just made the first international flight to that airport in Japan that we saw completely flooded by the tsunami.

Is the weather in Ishigaki still warm enough for swimming?

Depends on whom you ask: the locals will emphatically say, “no way” during at least the time period from about November to April, while Germans, Swedes, Hebrideans, and Greenlanders (just for example) will say something to the effect of, “Eh? It’s ALWAYS warm enough to swim in ISHIGAKI - just wish the water wasn’t so bloody hot half of the year”.

[ Posted from my gooseberry ]

I have some new information about direct flights between Taiwan and Ishigaki Island in 2012, so here is the thread for next year:
viewtopic.php?t=105426
:slight_smile: