Island wide blackout. Major power outage, Aug. 15, 2017

Didn’t Taipower recently take a plant off-line, or cancel it or something? Something about anti-nuclear forces or whatever.

That news link is quite worrisome. Says major hospitals like NTHU and Veterans have no power, that a large portion of ATMs is not working.

In the ol country this kind of problem is quite common. Heard it used to be so in Taiwan many eons ago.

This is not good news.

I cannot wait for winters cold embrace. If there is a winter.

Posting from a friend:
6:03 p.m.: Taipower said the outages occurred after generator No. 7 at Tatan Power Plant (大潭電廠) in Taoyuan City’s Guanyin District malfunctioned and went offline at 4:51 p.m.
The loss of the generator reduced the country’s power supply by roughly 4 million kW.
This triggered automatic energy conservation measures in the power distribution system, which in turn has resulted in the outages, according to Taipower.
The Tatan Power Plant failure was the second such problem of the day.
A coal-powered generator at the Ho-Ping power plant in Hualien went offline early in the morning, according to the Central News Agency.
5:50 p.m.: Taiwan was in an energy crisis Tuesday, with power outages reported across the country.
Blackouts were reported at multiple locations in the capital and sporadic outages were seen in cities and counties including Yilan, Taichung, Kaohsiung and Nantou.
In Taipei, a reader told The China Post that traffic lights had stopped working near Nangang Station, while videos online showed the lights out at the Core Pacific City department store.
The power had also reportedly gone out at court buildings and at the offices of the Central Weather Bureau.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2017/08/15/500029/live-updates.htm

Check LINE for updates from Taipei City Government.

16 hospitals affected.

Energy is back in Sanxia!

Same here in Daxi. 18h30 already, so we finished dinner in lamp light.

They rotated to different areas in situations like this so might be 2 hours here and then two hours there then two hours other place.

I’m just sitting here enjoying life in a hotel that has a backup generators.

Do not take elevators.

Taipei city Downtown, Wanhua to Daan no power yet.

Metro working normally.

Hospitals ok. 16 handing emergencies.

(lightbulb)【停電速報】
★本市北投、大同、中山、信義、文山、松山、大安、中正、萬華區停電致近百處號誌不亮,已派員警指揮,請用路人行經路口減速當心。

★停電期間請避免搭乘電梯,以保安全!

★台北捷運未受停電影響,正常營運。

★目前僅局部零星管網末端或高地區供水受到影響,大部分區域供水正常,已與台電公司協調儘速恢復供電,以利供水。

★截至目前,尚未收到因受停電影響受傷的通報案件。另本市16家急救責任醫院亦未受到停電影響,正常運作。

★北市府停電災害應變中心於今(15)日即時二級開設。

★0815停電防救災專區→
http://bit.ly/2w6mnMR

1 Like

Out again…

Guessing how long the current cabinet is going to stay in power (get the pun!)…

Major disasters aside, Taiwan has enough power generation capability to NOT have this problem. So why does it have power cuts?

After work went shopping then few minutes went dark so I rush to get out from the building. Now taking MRT heading home worried my dog is home alone .

Is why the traffic lights are all out driving around? Driving was a disaster, even more so during traffic hour.

All good all day in Tainan, proving once again it is the best place in the country.

Yep.

More than 50 cases of elevator emergencies. Seems they are still getting people out.

That’s terrifying. I could not handle being trapped in a elevator. Probably dark and no AC

Are we in the same Tainan? Was teaching out in the countryside when the power cut at 6pm, now I’m walking home from the station and hardly any streetlights are on, seen a few traffic lights off too.

Hmm strange my friend, looks like I am lucky, living right next to Tainan Train station and nothing wrong in this area :slight_smile:

Power going on and off where I’m at in Banqiao,
including traffic and park lights. I’ve already seen a couple near accidents from people just being careless. Like, if the traffic light is completely turned off and should be working, clearly you shouldn’t barrel through the road above the speed limit. And if you’re walking in the park, and happen to see a light coming towards you it’s probably a bike. Move.

Unfortunately I’ve learned that’s not an option where I live. For some reason, it appears management put security of belongings over personal well-being. Every floor is locked by a special key that I don’t have and was never told about. Which I only learned about after walking up the entire set of stairs.
Edit – I’d like to mention that there’s a camera on every floor, multiple security guards, the elevator and building entrance take a special key, and the apartment door takes another key. Locking the stairwell is completely redundant.