Island wide blackout. Major power outage, Aug. 15, 2017

This is such an ingrained part of the culture that they even have a specific idiom for it: 下台負責. Because, hey, nothing says “responsibility” like giving up and quitting.

But the way they spells it is really bad!

If they can’t even spell their own name right, how can they competently run the facility?

It’s either that or if you have the upper hand, get ten of your mates to take to the guy with baseball bats.

chu

Eric Chu and Hao Lungbin celebrating during the blackouts last night.

Taipei shall remain safe as long as International Rescue maintains vigilance.

My apartment complex stairwell doesn’t allow you to access any of the floors except the first floor. You can enter the stairwell from any floor (except the first) and exit on the first. Therefore, the escape route isn’t locked. But the only way up to your floor is via elevator.

However, I find it strange that the only way to get out of the B1 or B2 parking garage is by elevator or walking out the ramp.

:point_up_2:

1 Like

Yes, part of the culture from Japanese customs.

So what can be done and should be done, increase renewable power generation. Taiwan has 2% or about that in renewable power source generation, compared to 8% in the States, and 10%+ in China, so this is one area it’s very possible. But Tai power says it costs money, well raise rates say 5%, they Tai Power can be profitable and invest in the future. So replace the resigned minister with a smart one and strong minded one, my wish list (not that this will be done),

1 Like

There is a long overdue push to develop wind farms in the Taiwan Strait but it has become bogged down by cowboy companies flouting what were admittedly confusing regulations regarding environmental protection

Apparently the EPA ministry is working on untangling this mess in order to provide clearer guidelines

The problem is power consumption from industry people should look at the facts.

I do not agree. In the 3rd world, blackouts last for days. 2 hours and the Minister resigns?! Unbelievable.

Indeed. If you have a look at the great tragedies we have suffered lately in Taiwan, the root of which is human error, caused by the usual short-sighted cost-cutting hiring idjits sending unqualified people to perform tasks that are way over their heads.

Those are the exact words I told the gf yesterday. I don’t blame the employee who make the wrong calculation, but blame his/her superior for handing off such an important task to them. The person in charge of the employee probably though, oh, I don’t want to lose face, we’ll blame the yearly contractor.

Problem that is the Governments fault. You see, each year they issue the bid lower and lower, which makes no sense. With rising costs, the Government chooses the lowest bidder, but that bid is going lower every year. Who would be interested in competing? How can they keep quality control under those conditions?

And…who elected the government?

Your fault.

checkmate-meme-3-in-the-game-of-chess-we-call-this-a-checkmate

Ehem I work here but I do not vote.

+1

Even worse! You could have prevented it but did nothing!

The MRT and HSR are First World. The relatively short blackouts and brownouts are Second World. The packs of vicious stray dogs roaming the suburbs and countryside are Third World.

3 Likes

Bear in mind this is not a uniquely Taiwanese situation. Auckland was shut down for weeks with power failures in 1998, also human incompetence. I used to stand on the Underground platform in London as the announcer announced “for the usual reason all trains on the Central Line will be subject to major delays for the foreseeable future”, muttering under my breath, “fucking third world country”.

But think of all that meat! You have to take a negative and make it positive.