I've done my research if someone could help me out

Well pounded more pavement handing out 5 resumes (8 in total). No luck yet.

I’ve heard people say certificates aren’t worth much but every listing on Tealit says otherwise.

My offer for half my first months salary is still up for grabs.

For the teaching position I also don’t really have an expected $ in mind. Since its my first full time teaching position I’m not too concerned about the salary. Mainly looking for some experience.

[quote=“abcmanintaiwan, post:1, topic:158876, full:true”]
I know a few non native speakers getting jobs (illegal I think) How did they manage that?[/quote]
Not illegal, AFAIK. It’s just that many schools think that the only country that speaks English is California. Having a non-Caucasian face is also a problem. It is what it is.

As with any job, you need some actual qualifications and experience. Otherwise, you won’t be able to teach, and you’ll be miserable. As will your students. Teaching is a skilled job: put the time in to do what’s necessary and you’ll have a much better time in Taiwan. Giving away half your salary to get someone to fix it for you is a terrible idea - besides, I get the feeling that the days of unqualified foreigners landing teaching jobs are long gone.

Why are you so keen to get a teaching job? Surely you’d be better off approaching (say) trading companies?

I don’t understand why you can’t get an open work permit. If you have family here, and your parents are Taiwanese nationals, it should be a simple process. You might not necessarily get citizenship, but there is a different classification for people in your situation (I forget what it’s called) that gives you broadly similar rights. Have you checked this out with the immigration people?

Finley: Do you recommend getting the TESOL?

I’m here legally. I do 90 day visa runs.

I read that it is easy for buxiibans to apply for WP and ARC. I did get approached by one that was willing to hire me on a trial basis for around 30,000 NTD doing trading. It was 2 hours away. I declined to do that.

I think I’d have to army, which I’m debating about.

AFAIK they have no special dispensations. They have to go through the same procedure as anyone else, and the procedure is reasonably straightforward. The problem, from their point of view, is this: they have to show that your skills are not available locally. The authorities take this with a grain of salt, but you still need to have some relevant qualifications and experience that they can report on the application forms. I remember I had to write out a one-page description of my skills to comply with this requirement.

Yes, you would. Not the end of the world, though. It’s 14 months. I know plenty of people who have done it and it’s apparently quite fun (mixed with a big dose of tedium) if you go in with the right frame of mind. You get to play with big machines and shoot at stuff.

I would see where the wind takes you. You’re young. Spend the next 5 years or so just floating around a bit. Take the job that’s two hours away and rent an apartment next door. Have a bit of fun living in a new place. Then leave, and go somewhere else, with a new entry on your CV. Five years from now, you’ll be getting the jobs that seem inaccessible now.

Yea I’m seriously considering it since its been really hard for me to find a teaching position. I’ve had a couple friends tell me their experiences and its been mostly just tedious and boring.

That opportunity has passed.

Guess I will keep walking into random places and dropping my resume off. Thanks for the advice Finley.

Try a Kojen or Hess. And when you say ‘near you’… I’d loosen my expectations to ‘only one switch on the MRT’ That will give you lots a more options. Once you get your foot in the door, and have a year or two of meeting teachers/networking more options will become available. With that fluent 中文 you might even get a job at HCFR.

Hi Jadler10

Hess said because my parents are Taiwanese, something something army, new law, can’t hire me because of that. Is Kojen easy to get into?

Walked into 3 more places to drop off my resume.

Do people recommend getting Tesol?