Japanese encephalitis vaccination recommended in appropriate cases

Taiwan Centers for Disease Control recommends vaccination against Japanese encephalitis.

http://www.cdc.gov.tw/english/list.aspx?nowtreeid=EE0A2987CFBA3222&treeid=BC2D4E89B154059B

It seems they have “urged routine vaccination of age-appropriate children and at-risk individuals.” Some more details are in the article.

2 Likes

News report today says 26 cases so far this year in Taiwan with latest case in Xindian.

When I first came to Taiwan, the JE shot was recommended by travel health authorities in Canada, especially for folks living in or visiting rural areas.

Part way through my time here, the same authorities stopped recommending boosters. Does anyone know why?

Guy

1 Like

Not sure - just checked; authorities in Germany recommend the first booster after 12-24 months and then one every 10 years.

Although I read at another place that the exact duration of the protection is unknown so some countries do not generally recommend the booster after 10 years. Maybe that’s why Canada dropped the recommendation.

Speaking about getting the booster in Taiwan: Which place should one go to to get it? Does the NHI cover it or is it self-paid?

2 Likes

Once you’ve had the actual disease, immunity is lifetime, right? Or not?

Just wondering if I should get vaccinated anyway. The virus nearly killed me last time.

I heard somewhere that NHI does not cover Japanese Encephalitis vaccine for adults and costs NT$2600.

1 Like

You should speak to medical authorities about that—not randos like us on the interwebs!

Guy

Me too but it was UK who recommended it. Had the first shot in the UK, and never had the second one after arriving. That was 2015, don’t know if they still recommend it

Is it part of the standard vaccines for kids now?

In Portugal, doctors recommend the JE vaccine if one is planning to visit Taiwan for longer than a month and staying in rural areas… which I plan to do. However, the vaccine is not commercialized here, so I don’t have a way of getting it. :frowning:

Does anyone know whether it is possible to get it in Taiwan as a tourist, for a fee?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I do know that the health authorities in Canada I consult have stopped recommending JE vaccines for Taiwan. I suppose if you will be spending time around pig farms you may wish to be careful. But as I said, what used to be recommended to me (I received shots more than twelve years ago) has been no longer recommended to me.

Guy

I was also recommended to get this when I came to Taiwan 7 years ago from the UK. I got the first shot in the UK (was expensive), then I never got the second shot. So far I’m okay :smiley:

Edit: looks like I already posted this in April xD

1 Like

Yes, they get it in 3 or 4 doses.

You should be able to make an appointment at any hospital here and get it. Not sure of the cost though.

1 Like

I understand some countries don’t recommend it anymore, likely because the probability of getting the disease is quite low… but I don’t want to risk it, if a vaccine exists.

This would be great — I shall check it out!

1 Like

Jesus I really wouldn’t bother with that.

I don’t think JE vaccination is necessary visiting Taiwan. Unless you’re doing high risk activities.

But then occasionally have outbreaks in a neighborhood or a town it could be anywhere in Taiwan so…

Is it better to be safe than sorry… that’s a personal choice.