Japanese Izakayas in Taiwan

Japanese Izakayas are informal restaurants with great food and great atmosphere. They are one of my favorite types of restaurants to eat at in Taiwan and Japan and anywhere else in the world. If you never tried one, then you should. If you know some in Taiwan, please share.

One of my favorite ones is this one with amazing Okonomiyaki.

旅東京鉄板小料理
No. 166, Siwei Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106
02 2705 8200
https://goo.gl/maps/gZNAhoTqMjD2

And this one with all the special small dishes.

Kushi Kushi
No. 18, Lane 7, Section 1, Minquan East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 10452
02 2597 3121
https://goo.gl/maps/gAbTo7PzfdN2

Izakayas are awesome. As far as Japanese establishments go, I love them even more than I do sushi restaurants and ramen stands. And I love those a lot too. This is tagged under ‘Taipei’, but if anybody knows of any in Kaohsiung I’m all ears.

The first one is very close to Tech. Building station, I pass by there very often! Anything you’d suggest from there apart from the Okonomiyaki? I may get the chance to try it next week!

Yea there is no Taiwan-wide restaurant forum unfortunately.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/宇樂居酒屋(Yu+Le+Izakaya)/@22.9977102,120.2030495,18.42z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x560b74258baa5e9!8m2!3d22.998564!4d120.2023571?hl=en

went to this one a few days ago when when visiting tainan. right next to chikan tower, beautiful place and the food was good too.

1 Like

Found another one I like all 10 dishes were nice. Japanese style and feeling inside. Civic Road near Dunhua.

大黑居酒食堂 Big Black Ju Jiu Shi Tang
105, Taipei City, Songshan District, 市民大道四段155號
02 2570 6855
https://goo.gl/maps/UhZtVb2pX592

are these places getting popular? keep seeing new ones spring up all over the place!

I’d say they have been popular and continue to be popular. They are kind of an extension of the popular Japanese places where you BBQ you’re own food. Kind of eating and drinking style that Taiwanese like.

Oh lordy, that okonomiyaki is the shit.
My youngest found a joint in whatever the hell it is they call New York New York now. Haven’t been for a while, but it used to be great.
We kind of stopped going because there was always a humongous queue.
They do (did?) the cook it at your table thing, and dang, it’s good friggin eating.
Bonus, they got like 5 kinds of mayo, and you can do the cowboy movie deal and tell them to leave the bottle.:+1:

I could eat that shit until I went blind, I swear.

sure, i totally dig them too. but i want to enjoy good quality not some crappy little copy cats. its hard to tell from outside they all look quite cool…

i think its quite a taiwanese thing. there are also brunch places and cafes all over the place now where i didn’t see them before.

Izakayas have been popular here since probably Japanese times or something like the anyway.

It’s not a new thing but always glad to hear about good ones! They seem to have got a lot more stylish though recently.

While I am, as noted, familiar with the delights of okonomiyaki, I can’t say I’m schooled in what technically constitutes an “Izakaya”.

Can you help a brother out??

Meat on a stick, Mao dou , fried noodles and seafood, beer, sweaty guys with napkins on heads, wooden bar.

Most importantly, beer. Food is just the side dish, so to speak.

Oh, a Yak Shack!

We got one out in Rocket & the_bear land, they shot some soap there and it’s insanely popular, especially w/ the kids.
There was another teensy corner one that was sweet, although kind of pricey, it shut down.
But I’ve never seen one that served the 'nomiyak.

Yeah, man, Orion from Okinawa, best draught lager anywhere.

2 Likes

This one used to be my go to place, but the quality seems to have gone downhill a bit. I’ll have to try some of those other ones.

Izakaya’s are more than that. They are trendy pubs with modern Japanese music in the background where good-tasting quality food is the main attraction and beer and sake are a must. They cook all the food, nothing smelly around your table or in your hair. They are probably more popular with women than sweaty guys.

Last night I had:

• Sashimi
  • Beef (no fat or cartilage) and chicken skewers
  • Grilled shrimp
  • Kimchi
  • Chawanmushi
  • Fish soup
  • Sea urchin wrapped in scallops and seaweed
  • Steamed vegtables
  • more

All healthy and tasty.

No they are not more than that.

That is just trendy shit sitting on top of the fundamental qualities that make a Izakaya.

The sweaty guys are behind the bar.

Well I hope you’re right, because this

Just totally killed my buzz.

1 Like