JFRV and Work Rights for Foreign Spouses

Can someone point me to the proper law which states that a JFRV holder has open work rights (Hartzell’s old link is broken now). I need the Chinese text because I am currently being forbidden to take a small boat commercial captain’s exam because the MOTC harbor bureau is convinced that no foreigner can be a commercial captain. I am preparing documents and patience to wear them down. I need all the specific text I can get.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW nothing in the laws for qualifications to take the exam state that any particular nationality is required.

[quote=“badge”]Can someone point me to the proper law which states that a JFRV holder has open work rights (Hartzell’s old link is broken now). I need the Chinese text because I am currently being forbidden to take a small boat commercial captain’s exam because the MOTC harbor bureau is convinced that no foreigner can be a commercial captain. I am preparing documents and patience to wear them down. I need all the specific text I can get.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW nothing in the laws for qualifications to take the exam state that any particular nationality is required.[/quote]

PM me your email, I have a friend that may be able to help you find the info.

You can sell sausages on the street, but you need a license … business license, street vendor license, what ever license is needed … without they can fine you … or you could try to outrun the cops, put a look-out on the street corner … when the other vendors pack-up shop and run … just run … :laughing:

I have a friend who also needs to show her boss the link in Chinese. Can someone help me out please?

Just a quick update on the JFRV - ARC thingy.

Do not enter TW to join your other TW half on a Visa Exempt. The odd rule is that you must enter TW on a 30 or 60 day TOURIST visa and only then the proces of a JFRV leading to an ARC or APRC can start.
I learned this the hard way and now need to leave the island again, apply in a foreign country for a Tourtist Visa , re-enter and start things all over.
Thought that this was worth to share as some of you might one day face the same surprise.

Strange … but some people managed to get a workpermit and ARC with just a visa exempt entry … wonder how

The grey and illuster zone of Taiwanese immigration I suppose … They updated their rules again not so long ago wife claims .
I could get an ARC even when applying for Chinese study - but for a JFRV leading to an ARC… get out - come back with correct Visa. and… you only get 15 days to apply (not 30 as before)

[quote=“ceevee369”]Just a quick update on the JFRV - ARC thingy.

Do not enter TW to join your other TW half on a Visa Exempt. The odd rule is that you must enter TW on a 30 or 60 day TOURIST visa and only then the proces of a JFRV leading to an ARC or APRC can start.
I learned this the hard way and now need to leave the island again, apply in a foreign country for a Tourtist Visa , re-enter and start things all over.
Thought that this was worth to share as some of you might one day face the same surprise.[/quote]

Can anyone confirm this? I always used to get a tourist visa when I went to Taiwan, but the people at the TECO here in Canada told me that it’s no longer necessary for Canadian citizens. They told me that Canadians can go to Taiwan for 60 (or maybe it was 90 days, I can’t remember) without a visa. If what ceevee369 says is true, it seems I might have a problem applying for a JFRV without leaving the country first. But even if I fly to Hong Kong for a tourist visa, it seems likely they wouldn’t issue me one if it’s unnecessary for Canadians to have one for a 60 day stay in Taiwan. Has anyone else had recent experience with this situation and can shed some light. Thanks!

SJD, the rules might be different for Canadians, thus I am now back from my visa-run to Manila.
I tried applying overseas for a JFRV, but that only works if you have all papers notarized , authenticated and translated from Chinese in the language of the country where you apply.
So they gave me a single entry 60 day tourist ViSA ( NOT stamped with the " no extension" rule) and I applied for my ARC @ the National Immigration Office in Banciao.
ARC is ready today - and I can work without needing to apply for a work permit due being married to a local. Confirms BP’s input on another thread.
Cheers

I’m still confused. My Taiwanese spouse and I will be coming to Taiwan in the spring. I wonder what I should do? I don’t imagine the TECO in Canada will give me a tourist visa since it is no longer necessary. Hmmm?

This may help or not, but last week when I changed my visa to the JFRV they said in the interview that “with this you can work no problem.” I made the woman repeat the statement, asked a couple questions, and it seemed to check out.

Then they gave me a tote bag, my new ID card and clapped.

Take it for what you will, nothing was written down, but it seems to not be an issue. On the East Coast anyway.

-Matt

You got a tote bag? Damn! Times have changed.

[quote=“HualienOutdoors”]This may help or not, but last week when I changed my visa to the JFRV they said in the interview that “with this you can work no problem.” I made the woman repeat the statement, asked a couple questions, and it seemed to check out.

Then they gave me a tote bag, my new ID card and clapped.

Take it for what you will, nothing was written down, but it seems to not be an issue. On the East Coast anyway.

-Matt[/quote]
I thought this was understood to be the case for a long time now. When I was on a JFRV (2008-2010) I got the last FAP (or NIA or whoever comes and checks for work permits etc) check out at a school where I was working. Obviously, being on a JFRV I didn’t have a work permit. So the guy looked at my JFRV, and said, “Oh. Ok, you’re married? No problem.” That was back in Oct 2008. Never heard from them again (those little spot checks they do). Before then it was basically an annual thing.

So nobody is able to confirm about the visitor visa thing? Do I need a visitors visa or is the 90 day thingy ok?

When I came here I spoke to the local TECO back home. Simply told them I was coming to Taiwan to get married. They gave me a extendable 60 day tourist visa.

I suggest you speak to them as you will get 500 different answers here.

[quote=“bigduke6”]When I came here I spoke to the local TECO back home. Simply told them I was coming to Taiwan to get married. They gave me a extendable 60 day tourist visa.

I suggest you speak to them as you will get 500 different answers here.[/quote]

And the TECO will be cool with this you think? They don’t care that I’m flying in on a tourist visa and then planning on changing it to a marrige visa? I’m just not used to this kind of thing with the TECO. I’ve always had to keep things hush hush in the past. :whistle:

[quote=“SJD”][quote=“bigduke6”]When I came here I spoke to the local TECO back home. Simply told them I was coming to Taiwan to get married. They gave me a extendable 60 day tourist visa.

And the TECO will be cool with this you think? They don’t care that I’m flying in on a tourist visa and then planning on changing it to a marrige visa? I’m just not used to this kind of thing with the TECO. I’ve always had to keep things hush hush in the past. :whistle:[/quote]

I had no problem with this. Your reason for coming is not illegal in any way. As long as you meet the visa requirements they have no reason not to grant you the visa. I did not want to have to do a visa run and explained this to them.

Again, this is what I did. I am not telling you to do it.
You need to do what you feel is the best way.

Hell, at one stage I was considering working at Hess. The TECO basically did all the running around for Hess, such as get my documents signed my Foreign Affairs back home, get my medical documents certified by the Health Dept etc.

[quote=“SJD”][quote=“bigduke6”]When I came here I spoke to the local TECO back home. Simply told them I was coming to Taiwan to get married. They gave me a extendable 60 day tourist visa.

And the TECO will be cool with this you think? They don’t care that I’m flying in on a tourist visa and then planning on changing it to a marrige visa? I’m just not used to this kind of thing with the TECO. I’ve always had to keep things hush hush in the past. :whistle:[/quote]

As long as you produce the required documents when changing to a JFRV and later on ARC, and do the medical, no one here will say a thing.

they got a tote bag because it is a MIRACLE that someone secured a JFRV.

i got my fbi check back finally. i have my marriage license, and I have both translated. the teco office in the states said that i need to surrender my actual official marriage license to them AND have it notarized in the states… which is illegal. i actually flew back to the states to do it in person, and got nowhere with the teco office in los angeles. finally i just tried to get two notaries to do it anyway but they both said they absolutely cannot notarize a vital record… it is by its nature, notarized automatically. they also said that i should never give away my vital records, just for some office to keep the original. also, the la teco office also said that the fbi document must be authorized by the teco office in washington d.c. only and it will take about 30 days.

month six… still no jfrv. so yes, if you can actually pull this off, you should get a tote bag at the very least. :fume:

[quote=“adguy”]they got a tote bag because it is a MIRACLE that someone secured a JFRV.

i got my fbi check back finally. I have my marriage license, and I have both translated. the teco office in the states said that I need to surrender my actual official marriage license to them AND have it notarized in the states… which is illegal. i actually flew back to the states to do it in person, and got nowhere with the teco office in los angeles. finally i just tried to get two notaries to do it anyway but they both said they absolutely cannot notarize a vital record… it is by its nature, notarized automatically. they also said that i should never give away my vital records, just for some office to keep the original. also, the la teco office also said that the fbi document must be authorized by the teco office in washington d.c. only and it will take about 30 days.

month six… still no jfrv. so yes, if you can actually pull this off, you should get a tote bag at the very least. :fume:[/quote]

Have you ever considered just getting married in TW? It seems from your post you are trying to get the local authorities to accept you US marriage license and this is the main problem. I think the only thing you need to get married here, if I remember correctly, is a certificate from back home saying you are single. I am not sure the official name. All the other shit is for the JFRV.
Remember, the marriage and the JFRV are two separate issues.