Joseph Bistro (Goan cuisine)

I love Joseph’s Palak Paneer too, as well as his just-launched frozen curry packs, especially the Chicken Tikka Masala, Mixed Dal Curry and Mushroom, Potato and Green Pea Curry. Glad to be able to enjoy delicious “restaurant meals” at home now.

Since sampling Joseph’s extraordinary spinach paneer last November, I’ve been hooked on his various veggie dishes. Bit by bit, I’ve been making my way through Joseph’s impressive repertoire, including dishes featuring squash and eggplant and his excellent black dhal.

All of these veggie dishes have been very good indeed, but tonight I had a meal that once again blew me away. The centerpiece was Joseph’s asparagus caldine, described on the menu as “mild-yellow spiced, peppery and sour coconut base curry from beaches of Goa, with a hint of cinnamon, green chili, and coriander.” It’s a beautiful dish, with generous amounts of asparagus both chopped and whole providing a satisfying toothsome texture. The sauce was a revelation, with coconut milk nicely balanced with the slightly sour taste of tamarind. The caldine went brilliantly with Joseph’s long grain rice, which was perfectly cooked (don’t get me started about how difficult it is to find this in Taiwan’s restaurants) and infused with kaffir lime leaf and I believe a hint of coconut milk. It’s a treat to find rice that looks and smells and tastes so good.

Once again, kudos to Joseph and his team for preparing such wonderful food. I can’t wait to go back!

Guy

Nice review Guy, it looks like a visit to Joseph’s is in order this year!

I was back at Joseph’s tonight for another terrific meal. As I chatted with Joseph about how he prepared his rice, I learned to my embarrassment that I had misrepresented it in my previous post. Joseph’s rice is indeed infused with kaffir lime leaf–but it is not cooked with coconut milk, which instead appears in several of his curries, including his incredible asparagus caldine.

Guy