Jumping, sticking mouse pointer

My mouse pointer keeps jumping around. After about 15 minutes it sticks altogether. It’s OK after a restart but then the jumping and the sticking happens again.

This has been a problem for a while. I disabled hardware accelaration of the display which helped for sometime but now the problem has got worse and worse. I’m wondering how long it will be before the computer is unuseable.

It’s not a problem with the mouse itself or with the cable because the pointer movement is OK for a while every time after I restart. Any ideas on what is causing this and whether it can be fixed?

The speed of the computer in general is OK, for example when I use the keyboard to tab through windows or type.

Thanks very much for any advice.

My bet is that you have the virus I have. Probably a trojan back door worm or something. I installed Spybot, ZoneAlarm, AdAware and AVG Anti-Virus, but it was still there month after month. Just yesterday I formatted my laptop and installed all of the spyware stuff before connecting to my ADSL…

Having the mouse crippled is really aggravating, I can understand. I’m not sure about you, but my touchpad still works fine, but I really prefer to use the mouse, and that’s why I formatted.

[quote=“teacup”]My bet is that you have the virus I have. Probably a trojan back door worm or something.[/quote]Sounds possible… Did you ever find out the name of the virus you had?

An up-to-date AVG has found nothing but I’ll run the Panda online scan again and see whether that turns anything up.

Cheers,

Joe