Just moved here, want to look for snakes and bugs but unsure where to start

Got myself a trip to Alishan coming up and in the meanwhile I’m going to search out some trails nearby. I’ll definitely be careful, I’ve had some experience with snakes in the wild although definitely not with such diverse and dangerous ones. Leave well alone and use a long zoom lens will be my philosophy.

Those giant orb spiders give me the jimmies

As always, inform someone of your whereabouts and when you will be back. Leave a written itinerary somewhere. Preferably do not go alone. Many a local and foreigner has had fatal accidents or even got lost without a trace in these treacherous mountains. Please be extra careful as cellphone reception might be spotty and GPS might be lost/scrambled.

Example here. One slip down a ravine and it was curtains. Even experienced ones.

1 Like

You don’t really need to go to any trail in the mountain. Snakes are everywhere really.

Thanks for the warning and the info too! I will definitely be careful and plan well beforehand. For now I will keep reading and look at a few guided hikes before I get too adventurous. My wife won’t be amused if I get in trouble.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Typhoons 2017

you mean snake pictures?

Snake pictures? What?

With no electricity for 36 hours i’m a bit out 9f the loop…

Edit: wtf, why is my reply here and not in the typhoon thread?
Bloody patriarchy.

Fixed. :wink:

Thanks, patriarchy!

I finally got out to some trails and bought myself my first ever camera, as promised here’s some random pics. Still no snakes but saw some wild monkeys in Meishan, my photography skills suck but Taiwan has to be one of the best places to learn, thanks one and all for the advice!

Ant Fin

Hoverfly

Giant shield bug

Wasp

Cheers!

4 Likes

No no nope no he’ll no. Too close for comfort. Next time put up a warning!

Your photography skills are more than adequate. But…

Friggin bugs in this Island are my sworn enemies.

Anyways, glad you like it so far. Has your NHI kicked in already, by the way?

It hasn’t kicked in just yet, I do have student insurance which is better than nothing I guess, I actually got bit a couple of months back when I leaned on a rock to take a shot, it was non venomous but it sure scared the hell out of me.
Here’s a few more shots from my hikes out and about, Taiwan really does have some amazing wildlife.
FB_IMG_1511999464346FB_IMG_1511999442185FB_IMG_1511999447934FB_IMG_1511999428115FB_IMG_1511999421047FB_IMG_1511999404304FB_IMG_1511999811559

5 Likes

maybe want to try and get in a bit closer on those shots, not really clear what we’re looking at there :sunglasses: But in all seriousness good work. I’m going to have to up my game.

P1320721

At least you are still alive.

Seriously, I am glad you have found critters to your liking here. Those are great shots.

Really nice pictures.

hope they didnt hurt this guy

1 Like