Kindergarten laws

These people are not kid’s, they are adults. Adults are meant to take resonsibility for their own actions, and however “innocent” you may want to make them look, they seem to find out within a week of arriving in Taiwan and from talking to other teachers that kindy teaching is illegal.

Yes yes we all have people who know gangsters here, and they all know how to grease the right palms to evade the law. Long termers here always know somebody of importance who is going to save their skin.

they are adults in age , but not in brains :smiley: . I figure as much due to all the press coverage about foreigners driving while drunk, streaking naked on the world games stadium, streaking naked outside on a dare, getting into fights with gangsters and getting severly beaten, selling and dealing drugs openly, etc. (Flob members not typically included in this group)

The fastest way to crack down on these illegal establishments would be to heavily target the schools and the recruiters who mislead people in the first place. The law on Kindy’s would change pretty quick once the laobans took a few nice financial hits, problem solved.

So what you are infering is that these adult bodies come over with early dementia in the brain department. These people are not retards surely? I mean they have enough brain matter and functioning brain cells to be able to fill in those immigration forms, which by the way state do not do naughty things like work illegally and things like that.

No the law wont change, what would change is that schools might lose their licences to operate ( it has happened ) and I am not sure how you do the recruiters…

Maybe I really should go and talk to the Education Dept again and take up their offer eh?

What the government here needs is a more consistent, overall approach.

A) a website in English with bullet points of important facts, such as “It is illegal to teach English in kindergartens”,signs up at places where foreigners go to apply for their ARC etc. Maybe even a pamphlet available at all ROC missions abroad, at the hospital where they get the health check etc. They could even mail them to people.
B) contact recruiters and tell them not to recruit for illegal jobs or face prosecution
C) contact kindergartens and tell them not to hire foreigners
D) bust kindergartens that break the rules
E) deport foreigners who get caught breaking the rules, but gve amnesty to those who come forward voluntarily

The above would be fair. The current system is not. Yes, STV and MrHe, people should obey the law But, the law should also be applied fairly.

A: Already done
B: recruiters know
C: Kindergarterns were all informed by the Ministry of Education and they all know it is illegal.
D: Kindies have been busted and some had licences to operate suspended
E: Deportation as we know happens

Then the law should be appkied against recruiters, and the schools should get shut down. I know some of them have, but there are tons of them still open, especially Hess, Happy Marian and KOJEN. My overall point is that the law should be applied consistently. And the government could do more to let newbies know.

My first ROC visa had stamped on it:

“visa holder not allowed to work in the ROC” or something along those lines.

The rest of what you mention is known, however the easiest way for any foreigner to avoid that is simply to keep his or hers papers in order.

Well recruiters wouldbt be in business if the kindies werent asking for illegal teachers.

So raids in Kindies seems to be the way to go.

so whats the law on teaching ages? What is the youngest you can teach even in a cram school?

I think it’s age 7, grade 1 basically.

Just for the record. I would be more than happy if they relaxed the laws on teaching kindy and cannabis too. Both laws are ridiculous.

Ah, but how about smoking cannabis and then going to work at a kindy? :laughing:

No, stick to whisky.

:no-no:

Correct. :thumbsup: Show some responsibility. These are young minds we’re dealing with.

No no it’s “do you mind if I teach your kindy kids about the benefit of hash cookies and smoking cannabis from a hookah?”

It’s really “Does give them the munchies and they will always finish those horrible kindy lunches and then fall asleep as planned before the afternoon classes begin sir”.

I’m still unaware of the law regarding kindy teacihng>? In what ways is it illegal?

Here’s the Taiwan law. Foreigners are not allowed to teach kindergarten, by law.

If a foreigner teaches in a kindergarten in Taiwan, it is deemed to be illegal, because the law so states that foreigners are not allowed to teach kindergarten, by law.

It’s really no different than any other act deemed illegal by any society’s laws. Example. Here is a law of which you might not be aware. Murder in many countries is illegal. In what way is it illegal? Well, intentionally ending the life of another individual (murder) is illegal by law. Therefore in this way it is illegal.

Clear it up for you? Do you feel more aware of the law regarding foreigners teaching kindergarten in Taiwan? :bow:

Actually it’s not entirely a foolish question - just what counts as a kindergarten? When is it a buxiban that teaches kids age four through twelve, and when is it a kindergarten?

Long long ago, when I was in a buxiban, I was teaching kids age four - maybe even three. But that was my visa school too. So was that illegal? I knew that teaching kindergarten was illegal, so I wasn’t doing that, but was I accidentally breaking the law?

And in some countries kindergartens are part of the official school system, as opposed to pre-school. I grew up thinking kindergarten = part of the elementary school; pre-school = a separate institution. But that’s not the case here.

This is all just of theoretical interest to me, thank goodness (friggin’ rugrats).

Not allowed to teach English as a serious topic (some games and songs are OK) until they are in Grade 1. There are many dual kindy / buxiban outfits, such as Happy Marian. They are only licensed to have foreigners teach buxiban class and ostensibly have local teachers teach the kindy classes in Mandarin but of course this is a con and they get the foreigners to do it because it’s more lucrative. If you taught pre-school kids then you were breaking the law.

Interesting. I read this and it gives me a lot more sympathy towards people expressing ignorance of the law. There are probably a lot of foreigners around who assume they’re working legally in their visa school, not realizing that since there are five year olds in the class, they’re breaking the law.

The “some games and songs” is a massive loophole. If that’s the case, the law is far from black and white - where on earth is the line that makes it illegal? When does playing a game become a serious topic?