Kindy teachers. We salute you

Taiwanese people always look at me as if I were abused when I tell them I had to wash and iron my own clothes from the age of 10 up and say something snooty about ‘we prefer our children to study not do housework’. Well, if mothers want to turn themselves into servants because they can’t be arsed to work, leave 'em to it, I say. Rods for their own backs.[/quote]

LOL, then these same kids turn into 26 year old boys still living with mommy and daddy, relying on mommy to wash his clothes, and cook his meals cause he never learned to take care of himself. And all that studying? It really pays off when they take that bank teller job and slave away for 24,000 NT a month.

I really shouldn’t have looked at this thread. I’m going to teach kindy every morning 9-10.30 for 5 weeks, starting on Monday.

I really hope it won’t break me. All I want is a bit more cash over the slow August month!

The biggest problem I’ve seen with Kindy teachers is they think the material is going to be actually prepared for them and that the school will have an actual curriculum.

To this I can say: If you want professionalism, go work at McDonald’s, this is all a seat of your pants operation.

Hence why when I teach Kindy I have a host of songs, games, and books that I can do with the class to keep them relatively entertained and seem like I’m doing something productive by having them all doing something like sitting and listening, singing or playing a game. Your boss wants a dancing monkey clown whatever. I tend to go for a more laidback approach.

Things that you would take for granted in the West, like the students all having the book you have, is a vaguely amusing scenario and one I never expect. It gets worse if you have no boss or they don’t speak English.

No one who opens or runs a kindergarten is an actual teacher with early childhood education experience in much the same way that people who open restaurants are not chefs and may not even be able to cook. Which means this is a business. No customers means no pay.

Kindergarten is where it all hangs out. It’s almost always more political, controlling and bureaucratic than any buxiban/anchingban I have ever seen. I’ve had to get 3 signatures and mine(twice) to get a few small bottles of glue. Any kindergarten that has been around 5+ years is as cheap as can be. Materials are for wimps, everything can be done with sticky balls and squeaky hammers. The squeaky hammer manufacturers have been on the cutting edge though of making sure their product while looking great and squeaking loud breaks after a few classes necessitating another squeaky hammer purchase.

Reading books to students at most such schools is categorically not allowed and will cause the boss to possibly throw a fit because he is paying you good money to jump around. If you can read a book it must be some Chinglish one picked out by someone who doesn’t speak English that is way too difficult for your class. Teaching the kids how to read phonetically causes shock and horror in much the same way that it would if you did it for a black child in America.

The Chinese teachers are abused hateful things, imagine a cute version of Smeagol. Akin to a dog put on a short leash and kicked everyday for good measure while given little food or water. They also hate you. Neglect is the best you can hope for, though some are serious about you actually doing something productive and will help. They are unfortunately a minority. Bipolar is the best way I can describe a Chinese teacher between when she is being watched by the parents and when she isn’t.

My one nephew cried for his first month at Kindy. I’m expecting similar results from my other nephew when he starts Hess Aug. 1st.

[quote=“Okami”]Kindy is the easiest work imaginable, barring Xmas and Graduation shows. I’ll never take another kindy job again where I have to do those.

. I generally spend at least 10 minutes of every 30 minute class singing.[/quote]

Yeah it’s all fun. I taught Kindy for a year… I had to do my own end of year show with the kids.

So me and the kids all decided we would do a Monty Python skit.

We did a choreagraphy with each kid performing a skit singing along to song below. For some reason after that there wasnt anymore kindy teaching to be found lol… the director of the school got fired along with the school principal.

The world today seems absolutely crackers.
With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
There are fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
It’s depressing, and it’s senseless, and that’s why…

Intro: I like Chinese,
I like Chinese,
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they’re always friendly and they’re ready to please.

Verse: I like Chinese,
I like Chinese,
There’s nine hundred million of them in the world today,
You’d better learn to like them, that’s what I say.

Chorus: I like Chinese,
I like Chinese,
They come from a long way overseas,
But they’re cute and they’re cuddly, and they’re ready to please.

Verse: I like chinese food,
The waiters never are rude,
Think of the many things they’ve done to impress,
There’s Maoism, Taoism, I Ching and chess.

Chorus: So I like Chinese,
I like Chinese,
I like their tiny little trees,
Their Zen, their ping-pong, their
yin and yang-ese.

Verse: I like Chinese thought,
The wisdom that Confucious taught,
If Darwin is anything to shout about,
The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

Chorus: So I like Chinese,
I like Chinese,
They only come up to your knees,
Yet they’re wise and they’re witty, and they’re ready to please.

Verse: (in Chinese)

I like Chinese,
Their food is guaranteed to please,
A fourteen, a seven, a nine and lychees.

I like Chinese,
I like their tiny little trees,
Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin and yang-ese.

Fade: I like Chinese,
I like Chinese…

[quote=“Okami”]The biggest problem I’ve seen with Kindy teachers is they think the material is going to be actually prepared for them and that the school will have an actual curriculum.

To this I can say: If you want professionalism, go work at McDonald’s, this is all a seat of your pants operation.

Hence why when I teach Kindy I have a host of songs, games, and books that I can do with the class to keep them relatively entertained and seem like I’m doing something productive by having them all doing something like sitting and listening, singing or playing a game. Your boss wants a dancing monkey clown whatever. I tend to go for a more laidback approach.

Things that you would take for granted in the West, like the students all having the book you have, is a vaguely amusing scenario and one I never expect. It gets worse if you have no boss or they don’t speak English.

No one who opens or runs a kindergarten is an actual teacher with early childhood education experience in much the same way that people who open restaurants are not chefs and may not even be able to cook. Which means this is a business. No customers means no pay.

Kindergarten is where it all hangs out. It’s almost always more political, controlling and bureaucratic than any buxiban/anqinban I have ever seen. I’ve had to get 3 signatures and mine(twice) to get a few small bottles of glue. Any kindergarten that has been around 5+ years is as cheap as can be. Materials are for wimps, everything can be done with sticky balls and squeaky hammers. The squeaky hammer manufacturers have been on the cutting edge though of making sure their product while looking great and squeaking loud breaks after a few classes necessitating another squeaky hammer purchase.

Reading books to students at most such schools is categorically not allowed and will cause the boss to possibly throw a fit because he is paying you good money to jump around. If you can read a book it must be some Chinglish one picked out by someone who doesn’t speak English that is way too difficult for your class. Teaching the kids how to read phonetically causes shock and horror in much the same way that it would if you did it for a black child in America.

The Chinese teachers are abused hateful things, imagine a cute version of Smeagol. Akin to a dog put on a short leash and kicked everyday for good measure while given little food or water. They also hate you. Neglect is the best you can hope for, though some are serious about you actually doing something productive and will help. They are unfortunately a minority. Bipolar is the best way I can describe a Chinese teacher between when she is being watched by the parents and when she isn’t.

My one nephew cried for his first month at Kindy. I’m expecting similar results from my other nephew when he starts Hess Aug. 1st.[/quote]

I nominate this for a classic post. That bit I put in bold, that’s 24 carat.

I teach K3 (year before 1st grade) at a kindergarten now after teaching in a anchinban/bushiban (2 years) and private elementary school (3 years). I much prefer this job. There is less pressure and paperwork, but you develop a great relationship with your students and they learn so much during the year that they’re with you.

My school also has the most comprehensive curriculum I have worked with, including the elementary school. By the end of K3, they are able to write paragraphs, keep diaries, do grammar (verb tenses, parts of speech, etc.), make speeches, etc.

The bookwork sometimes a bit too heavy considering their ages (IMHO), but the results are amazing!

[quote]
Things that you would take for granted in the West, like the students all having the book you have, is a vaguely amusing scenario and one I never expect. It gets worse if you have no boss or they don’t speak English.[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t know how many times I have taught in Taiwan in which the school did not have a copy of the book for me or half the students did not have a book.

My favorite is teaching adults or company classes and the students don’t even have a pen or pencil.

[quote=“tomthorne”]

Does anyone have any links to videos of good kindy teachers in action? I’d be interested to see how it can be done well.[/quote]

I don’t know of any, but I’ll look around. After 8 years in the Kindy/Preschool business, I’ve noticed a few things.

*** The language progression for many students tends to follow normal language progression of a first language, just at a different pace. For example, it is generally believed that for the first few months of life, babies do not tend to have a concept of the significance of language. I have a theory that many students when they start English class really don’t have a clue that you’re talking to them in a language. They have to constantly hear the language before they are ready to learn how to use it. To do what many preschools/kindergartens do here and force the child to repeat a phrase, at this stage, does much more harm than good. The child just isn’t ready for it yet.

*** Stories with repetition work better than stories without. The video clip you posted, there seems to be no repetition in the book. Examples of good books with repetition:
–Most Eric Carl’s books
–Caps for Sale
–Goodnight, Moon
–Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
–Ticky Ticky Tembo (SP???)

When there is good repetition in the book, the children begin to learn the book faster. You can begin to pause and expect responses from the students. This helps with both their listening and speaking skills. It also gives them the opportunity to “read” the book later and look for familiar words in the passage.

*** Songs and dances are fun, but make sure you apply meaning to them as well. You might be surprised to find that your kids have been singing songs for 3 years, doing the actions, but still have no clue what the words mean, even if they learned the vocabulary separately. I had a material for the song “5 little monkeys swinging in a tree.” It had 5 monkeys, a tree, an alligator, and water. (All paper and cut, colored, and laminated). After realizing students didn’t make the connection between some of the words in the song and words they were learning, I presented this material and showed them how to act it out.

*** Present the practical life activities (a Montessori term). These are activities in the Montessori classroom that help children become more independent. They are mostly comprised of every day activities that can be done around the house. As children learn the words for these materials, they often immediately have a connection at home to these materials. These things can easily be reinforced at home and I often heard stories of children using the English names at home.

*** Avoid worksheets, workbooks, etc. as much as possible. Go instead for real activities.

If you have to do large group lessons, my biggest advice I can give is teach them a song very early. It is best if it is a long song that has a few repetitive verses (Think 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on a Bed). With that, you can train them to calm down when it’s appropriate. Write in a vertical fashion the numbers 4-0 on the board, with 4 on the top and 0 on the bottom. Point to four and scream, “EVERYBODY SAY 4!!!”
Let them get loud for a second and let it die down or bring them back around after 2-3 seconds.

Point to 3 and, in a normal voice say, “This is 3.”
If they scream it, tell them, “No. This is 3” (putting your hand at your mouth).

Raise your hand as you point with your other hand to four. Have them practice that level. Do the same with 3. Have them move between the two levels.

2 is just below a normal speaking voice. (Practice this)
1 is just above a whisper. (practice this)
0 you can’t hear anything I say. My mouth moves, but you can’t hear it.

Once you practiced that, take the song you know and sing it, pointing to the different numbers along the way. You want them to get energized and bring it down, so go between them. End up on a 0 or 1 for the last line. You’ll usually have a very calm class after the song. It only takes a few times for them to work out the visual cue of where your hand is so if they start getting too loud or the question they are asking is too loud, the visual cue is usually all I need for most students.

*** Remember you’re the model. If you yell across the room, others may do so. If you chase after a child that is running by running yourself, you allow others to run. If you don’t deal with your anger calmly, they have a right to act out on their frustration. If you’re drinking a coke, let them drink some too. You’re the model in the classroom. Hold yourself to the same rules you hold everyone else to.

Puppet: Interesting ideas. Like the one about noise levels.

Dr Seuss books are pretty good for the repetition thing too, plus they’re just awesome books.

Forget it, forget all the hassle, do something else. Taiwanese people aren’t serious about learning Engrish anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Puppet: Interesting ideas. Like the one about noise levels.

Dr Seuss books are pretty good for the repetition thing too, plus they’re just awesome books.[/quote]

No arguments here. Not only that, but rhyming is an important literacy skill. NOBODY rhymes better than the Doc.

I think that’s a sad, but true, reality in Taiwan.

Ticky-ticky-tembo-no-sa-rembo-chari-bari-ruchi-pip-peri-pembo. I still remember it from the Montessori preschool I attended in my first three years of school.

Better question: why would a grown man want to teach kindy?

:loco: :loco: :loco:

For the money.

mpallard: I don’t think being a grown man is necessarily a reason to teach or not teach kindy. I think one of the mistakes people often make when choosing a profession is that they think, “I’m X, therefore I should be doing Y rather than Z”. People often end up choosing not to do something because they (or society) perceive they are unsuited to it (before even really trying it) or that it’s somehow a waste of their talents, beneath them, etc. They then end up in something they are ill-suited to be doing because of the prestige, money, or because it’s perceived to be a good intellectual fit, or whatever else.

I personally think teaching kindy is fucking inane. That said, I think a lot of other jobs that are taken way more seriously are equally as fucking inane. That said, those guys in the Wiggles have obviously found their calling, and they’re damned good at it, so it’s not fucking inane for them. I teach something deemed much more intellectually challenging, and did before I came to Taiwan, yet I find little to no meaning in what I do, so more fool me than the guys singing silly songs about potatoes.

My co-teachers like to take over my kindy classes and do what they think the activity is, and then complain to my boss when “my” class is too hard for the kids.

For example, one time they didn’t understand Duck Duck Goose, so they turned it into a reading activity and then complained that the kids are too young to read. Duh. :loco:

So now my favorite thing to do is get the kids as riled up as possible with yelling and jumping and running, and then send them off so the coteachers can deal with the holy terror I have unleashed for the next three hours. :smiley:

waegookin: I could say that’s rather unsporting of you, but actually, it’s both clever and amusing.

Most English teaching in Taiwan is inane. I guess that is why I plan to leave in August.