Ko Wen-je

Or design flaw? :wink:

I don’t understand - what’s the supposed scandal around EasyCard? (I tend to assume there’s a buried scandal around most things in every county, and probably everything in this one, but I’m unsure of the details.)

Ko is going to be a one-termer.

Well, he has a 70% approval rating so far.

[quote=“Icon”]Two heated Ko related issues -among others that have filled local rags lately- stand out. The first one is the most interesting: since those Tzu Chi land grab comments by Ko, a backlash against Tzu Chi has surfaced with so much pented up anger you’d think it was some kind of Scientology branch. In every single channel, magazine, FB group, net discussion, every aspect of the organization, dirty laundry and not so -yes, even a 300k glass ornament- have been dragged into public display. It all started with Ko.
[/quote]
Rumor has it that Tzu Chi has pressured a talk show(正晶限時批) to stop bashing the organisation and now the hosts have quit.

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“Icon”]Two heated Ko related issues -among others that have filled local rags lately- stand out. The first one is the most interesting: since those Tzu Chi land grab comments by Ko, a backlash against Tzu Chi has surfaced with so much pented up anger you’d think it was some kind of Scientology branch. In every single channel, magazine, FB group, net discussion, every aspect of the organization, dirty laundry and not so -yes, even a 300k glass ornament- have been dragged into public display. It all started with Ko.
[/quote]
Rumor has it that Tzu Chi has pressured a talk show(正晶限時批) to stop bashing the organisation and now the hosts have quit.[/quote]
I don’t think it’s rumour as of today. By the way Apple TV’s owner is Lien Tai Shen (練台生), who is not the owner of AppleDaily.

I want to share my family stories regarding Tzu Chi. We used to be a regular donor. Back in the days when my parents were earning meager salaries, someone would come to collect $200 per person from us. According to my mother, the collector was very firm in suggesting that the minimum had to be $200 instead of $100. weird.
One of my uncles used to be a MAJOR donor, back in the days, helping TzuChi built their hospital in the east.

[quote=“sofun”]I want to share my family stories regarding Tzu Chi. We used to be a regular donor. Back in the days when my parents were earning meager salaries, someone would come to collect $200 per person from us. According to my mother, the collector was very firm in suggesting that the minimum had to be $200 instead of $100. weird.
One of my uncles used to be a MAJOR donor, back in the days, helping TzuChi built their hospital in the east.[/quote]

I want to share my personal horror story about Tzu Chi too. I visited their big temple/hospital in Hualian about five years ago with my brother, who was visiting Taiwan. A nun saw us, came over, I explained that my brother was a visitor to Taiwan and didn’t speak Chinese. The nun knew some English, and spent the next 30 minutes showing us around, talking about the history of Tzu Chi, explaining about their disaster relief operations abroad, etc. She was very polite and friendly. At the end of the tour, she forgot to pressure us for donations. She also forgot to discuss politics, curse Ma Ying-jeou, chant anti-nuclear slogans, or tell us that the ROC is not a country.

The nerve of that woman, and Tzu Chi. Ko is right - everything needs to be politicized, and the more hysteria, the better. Tzu Chi hospital should be shut, and the patients kicked out into the street.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“sofun”]I want to share my family stories regarding Tzu Chi. We used to be a regular donor. Back in the days when my parents were earning meager salaries, someone would come to collect $200 per person from us. According to my mother, the collector was very firm in suggesting that the minimum had to be $200 instead of $100. weird.
One of my uncles used to be a MAJOR donor, back in the days, helping TzuChi built their hospital in the east.[/quote]

I want to share my personal horror story about Tzu Chi too. I visited their big temple/hospital in Hualian about five years ago with my brother, who was visiting Taiwan. A nun saw us, came over, I explained that my brother was a visitor to Taiwan and didn’t speak Chinese. The nun knew some English, and spent the next 30 minutes showing us around, talking about the history of Tzu Chi, explaining about their disaster relief operations abroad, etc. She was very polite and friendly. At the end of the tour, she forgot to pressure us for donations. She also forgot to discuss politics, curse Ma Ying-jeou, chant anti-nuclear slogans, or tell us that the ROC is not a country.

The nerve of that woman, and Tzu Chi. Ko is right - the hospital should be shut, and the patients kicked out into the street.[/quote]

What made my stories relevant is that my stories point to the fact that TzuChia has always been about structuring power echelon in relation to money since very early. I’m not surprised that the organization find itself in the current controversy.

Current Controversy <-> Profit Generation

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]

The nerve of that woman, and Tzu Chi. Ko is right - everything needs to be politicized, and the more hysteria, the better. Tzu Chi hospital should be shut, and the patients kicked out into the street.[/quote]

I don’t think Master Zhengyen’s intentions or their disaster relief/rescue/hospitals/elderly care/recycling are in question here. I have a great amount of respect for Tzuchi in that regard, and that’s why I think many of the internet memes on Tzuchi are uninformed and in bad taste. Frankly, a lot of those second hand criticizers of Tzuchi can’t even tell Master Zhaohui apart from Master Zhengyen.

There are however very real issues with Tzuchi.

1. How they are spending their funds apart for those humanitarian efforts, and the difficulties of finding that out.

2. How they seem to have made habit out of illegally construct however they want and then work with local authorities to get things approved, even in environmental protection zones.

I can see how in the past they needed to work that way to get things done. The government back then were packed with blood suckers and that’s just how the government operated. However, as a religious/charity organization, people are expecting more of them, and they really ought to be the ones who strives to reveal such corruption, instead of colluding with it, thinking this is just how things go.

All Tzuchi needed to do is put aside that “I am better than thou” attitude and seriously address how they would rectify these two major issues, they would have been fine. But I guess they are above that as well.

Actually, I respect all you said above, you may be entirely right. The main thing that has triggered my comment is Ko’s non-stop hystrionics, and the immediate need for (the mostly) Green contingent here in Taiwan Politics to immediately come up with rationalizations for their hero’s aberrant behavior. If Ko bites the head off a live kitten on public TV, I know I can count on Forumosans to explain that this was totally brilliant strategy because of the KMT, martial law, the White Terror, 2/28, Ma Ying-jeou’s jogging, and poisonous salad oil.

All that said, I’m still hoping that Ko will eventually do a good job as mayor. He might have some good ideas, if only he could learn to ziplock his lips.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]
Actually, I respect all you said above, you may be entirely right. The main thing that has triggered my comment is Ko’s non-stop hystrionics, and the immediate need for (the mostly) Green contingent here in Taiwan Politics to immediately come up with rationalizations for their hero’s aberrant behavior. If Ko bites the head off a live kitten on public TV, I know I can count on Forumosans to explain that this was totally brilliant strategy because of the KMT, martial law, the White Terror, 2/28, Ma Ying-jeou’s jogging, and poisonous salad oil.

All that said, I’m still hoping that Ko will eventually do a good job as mayor. He might have some good ideas, if only he could learn to ziplock his lips.[/quote]

Seeing how he couldn’t eat raw oyster last week, I doubt he would do any such thing, if not out of respect for animal rights, then at least out of concern for his personal hygiene.

I for one am hoping he got things done and kept talking at the same time. I also don’t think Ko started the whole deal with Tzuchi. All he said was the Neihu development proposal seems odd. It’s odd because it’s an over 10-floor tall RC building on what is supposed to be a part of the lake. What started this whole none sense is Master Zhaohui’s over reaction and poor choice of words.

Evidently Tzuchi has invested those funds in highly controversial companies such as Monsanto :noway: and arm dealers. I’d say they deserve the backlashes they’ve received in these couple of weeks.

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“hansioux”]

1. How they are spending their funds apart for those humanitarian efforts, and the difficulties of finding that out.
    [/quote]
    Evidently Tzuchi has invested those funds in highly controversial companies such as Monsanto :noway: and arm dealers. I’d say they deserve the backlashes they’ve received in these couple of weeks.[/quote]

well, arm dealer refers to Boeing. If religious organizations shouldn’t invest in Boeing, should they also boycott airlines that flies Boeing planes?

Monsato is just terrible though. However, I think the organization probably just gave the money to some hot shot broker and let them choose what to invest.

Did I get it right on the news? I think I understood Tzu Chi released an statement saying the US branch managed its funds independently and what they did with their money was not controlled centrally?

Really, giving to Monsanto and helping starving farmers in developing countries is like bailing water out of a canoe you damaged yourself…

Indeed, KO did not even start the fire on Tzu Chi. He did not even open the door, though he did break the taboo of not criticizing the benevolent Tzu Chi. As a matter of fact, aside from the chat groups, the most vicious attackers of Tzu Chi and the ones digging enough dirt to bury Jade Mountain are -surprise, surprise- the deep blue TV news channels. One has to wonder why.

My Taiwanese pal says that most doctors in Taiwan -due to the years of studying and treating patients without personal involvement- are “out of touch” with the rest of the world and the way KO acts and what he says is just an example of that. he live sin his own little world. Latest statements are a hoot.

So much for master something ripping into Ko for being an Aspie.

She owed the wind, and she is now reaping the whirlwind.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Gain”][quote=“hansioux”]

[/quote]
    Evidently Tzuchi has invested those funds in highly controversial companies such as Monsanto :noway: and arm dealers. I’d say they deserve the backlashes they’ve received in these couple of weeks.[/quote]

well, arm dealer refers to Boeing. If religious organizations shouldn’t invest in Boeing, should they also boycott airlines that flies Boeing planes?

Monsato is just terrible though. However, I think the organization probably just gave the money to some hot shot broker and let them choose what to invest.[/quote]
Yeah you’re right, the alleged arm dealer is Boeing.

But still, Monsanto alone is enough to give the organization hell of a nightmare.

Yet another Ko gaff?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 03614135/1

It’s getting to be routine.

It’s getting kinda hilarious.

Hmm. The police in Taipei feel hurt. Who the fuck cares? They are useless time servers at best; deliberate tools of injustice on a normal day.

Now Ko is critical of illegal logging and skeptical that in this one case everyone was on the level and gain and sirt think the shame is Ko’s. :loco: