Ko Wen-je

Hok, not that you know me well or that I post a lot, but if you had to take a wild guess, do you think I am a Repub or a Dem?

lol…this thread is SO off topic.

Sorry, I have no idea! If I get time I’ll browse your post history and take try to get a feel. I’ll consult my crystal ball.

Just wanted to say that many true blue kmt types with US citizenship tend to vote for Democrats. They would despise the kmt if it wasn’t the family’s party back home.

One can be a democrat or liberal abroad and argue the need for "special’ rules at home because you know those opposition types can-t be trusted and are just waiting to get power so they can destroy the country and get revenge.

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you. I’ve been busy - this Chinese New Year thing has me running around like a Beijing duck with its head cut off trying to get things done.

Anyway, nope, not very Republican at all. I think I only once voted for a Republican, and that was like a few decades ago. Mostly I’ve voted Democratic, though a couple of times went with both Libertarians, Green Party and independents. I don’t really like party politics, but I guess I’m moderately left of center, if that means anything these days. I think one blogger said it best: “The Democrats have moved to the right, while the Republicans have moved to the nuthouse.”

Since 2008, when I voted for Obama, I’ve been so disillusioned that I haven’t bothered to vote again. I no longer see a big difference between the two major parties in terms of content, only in terms of style. That is to say, both parties are simply bought and paid for by corporate interests. It was, after all, the Democrats who passed all the bankster bailouts that even the Republicans wouldn’t vote for. Obama sat on his hands and didn’t say a word while the whole Occupy Wall Street thing went on - he was too busy going around giving speeches on how he wanted more student loans so that everyone could go to college. And it was Democrats who gave us FATCA, that is now causing so many US expats to renounce their citizenship. George Bush, of course, was odious - his list of sins is so long I’d wear out my keyboard trying to type about them. Their science denial (ie global warming, even evolution!!!) is absurd. I will say though that the Republicans probably have a more realistic view of Islam than the Democrats. The Republicans gave us the amazingly stupid Patriot Act, but the Democrats (ie Obama) have enforced it with great enthusiasm against whistleblowers like Snowden and Bradly Manning. At least I can give the Democrats credit for keeping abortion legal (which I favor).

So yeah, politically I’m all over the map. And since this thread is supposed to be about Ko Wen-je (remember him?), I do want to say that I’m really glad that he doesn’t belong to a political party - that may be his best feature.

Okay. Back to Ko. I think he is really pretty Asperger’s to be frank. Anyone who’s remotely familiar with this guy would probably say he totally lacks social graces. He’s got an Aspie son, and was quite despised back at NTU Hospital for his, um, personality. I have diagnosed Asperger’s Syndrome and even I would handle most situations better than he can/will.

He’s also by far the best mayor Taipei has had IMHO. :laughing:

[quote=“johnlockian”]
He’s also by far the best mayor Taipei has had IMHO. :laughing:[/quote]

Don’t you think it’s a little early to say that? I mean he’s only been in office for about a month. He could possibly turn out to be a great mayor…or not. I wish him well, but he needs time to prove himself. He also needs to control his big mouth - he’s already made unnecessary enemies, in record time.

His Asperger thing could possibly get him into some serious trouble. Remember, the mayor isn’t the dictator of Taipei. He does need to work with the City Council, and even those “evil corporations” that do things like maintain the MRT and Songshan Airport. If he burns all his bridges due to his short temper, he may find himself a lame duck mayor after three months into his term.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“johnlockian”]
He’s also by far the best mayor Taipei has had IMHO. :laughing:[/quote]

Don’t you think it’s a little early to say that? I mean he’s only been in office for about a month. He could possibly turn out to be a great mayor…or not. I wish him well, but he needs time to prove himself. He also needs to control his big mouth - he’s already made unnecessary enemies, in record time.

His Asperger thing could possibly get him into some serious trouble. Remember, the mayor isn’t the dictator of Taipei. He does need to work with the City Council, and even those “evil corporations” that do things like maintain the MRT and Songshan Airport. If he burns all his bridges due to his short temper, he may find himself a lame duck mayor after three months into his term.[/quote]

True, regarding the serious trouble thing.
My parents made the same comments about him not cooperating with other sectors and stuff, and I personally worry about him getting himself killed before he does anything big enough to actually matter. He’s certainly made enemies-enemies with a lot of $$$. Enemies who would have an army of hitmen at their disposal… :eh:
Best of luck to Mr. Ko.

Mayor Ko being assassinated would be an absolutely awful thing for his enemies. He would be a martyr and imo it would ignite massive anti-corruption campaigns. Mayor Ko isn’t some random complainer in some backwater but at this point an int’l figure that is loved by the common people. He isn’t untouchable but his death would bring down a lot people even if they weren’t connected to his death.

I hear he’s also quite disparaging to those who work for him. He’s not manager material.

Lots of assistants/PRs resigned because of that.

Lots of assistants/PRs resigned because of that.[/quote]

He might not be “manager material” but he might be “CEO material”. In my experience, the high level executives of large organizations tend to be jerks but they usually have a strong sense of vision and self-confidence. The people persons and those who are good at details tend to be the managers who work for the executives. In all seriousness though, I have no idea what Ko will turn out to be.

A few senior civil servants have quit or retired. Most Taipei city senior civil servants I have met have been reassuringly nice, open-minded, and highly intelligent. Just the sort of people you want to be senior civil servants. But I fear that many years in a rotten system has ruined at least some. Others have risen to high positions by their ability to excel in manipulating the rotten system. Ko is no doubt a demanding boss prone to quick decisions and reversals. Still, it might not be a bad thing if those senior civil servants stuck in the old ways of doing things leave. That would leave room for younger talent to rise and for the good ones to finally be able to act. Taiwan has a surplus of under utilized talent. Those who leave will be replaced. Many will stay despite Ko because they crave security and know nothing else.

Notice how Ko is trying to get rid of bad practices like overtime pay and transportation subsidies. While pay for legitimate overtime is essential, he is going after people who pad their incomes by being slow and inefficient. The transportation subsidies are also just ways to pad income at the expense of taxpayers. If Taipei loses a few civil servants who have chosen to live in Keelung or Yilan, so be it. They can transfer there and be replaced by other who want to work and live closer.

What neurotypicals view as “disparaging” is often seen by people on the spectrum as “telling it like it is”, since all the fluffy make-you-feel-good stuff has little to do with the business at hand. Most Aspies are very intelligent and do not suffer fools gladly. If it were not for the fact that the neurotypicals are the majority and get their panties in a knot so easily, I think it might not be a bad thing to have more Aspies in government.

Is neurotypical really a term? Love it. :laughing:

It is, especially within the AS community.
This aspie fully agrees with what ironlady said.

There’s a lot to like about him, but his conservative/patriarchal side is really troubling.

What’s he doing speaking at fundamentalist christian organizations like 幸福聯盟 and referring to unmarried women as a “national security” problem?

[quote=“Mawvellous”]There’s a lot to like about him, but his conservative/patriarchal side is really troubling.

What’s he doing speaking at fundamentalist christian organizations like 幸福聯盟 and referring to unmarried women as a “national security” problem?[/quote]

Are they giving secrets to the Chinese? Are they not breeding enough? :laughing: Someone told me about that remark yesterday but they couldn’t explain to me in what sense Ko Wen-je considers them a problem (although they did say he probably didn’t intend to say national security problem). Can anyone shed any light?

[quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Mawvellous”]There’s a lot to like about him, but his conservative/patriarchal side is really troubling.

What’s he doing speaking at fundamentalist christian organizations like 幸福聯盟 and referring to unmarried women as a “national security” problem?[/quote]

Are they giving secrets to the Chinese? Are they not breeding enough? :laughing: Someone told me about that remark yesterday but they couldn’t explain to me in what sense Ko Wen-je considers them a problem (although they did say he probably didn’t intend to say national security problem). Can anyone shed any light?[/quote]

He actually has a point - females here with a bit of education do not get enough babies, and that’s a problem. 1/3 of Taipei’s 35 year old women are single, not married, and no kids. It is a huge problem.

I agree. His conservative and patriarchal side is his worst trait imo. He seems homophobic, sexist, and moralistic.