Kunming Train Station Massacre

[quote=“hs172”]My father is in Kunming attending a Jewelry fair, located just beside the Train station.
He told me that when he went in to set up his booth that morning, he was greeted in Arabic (Salaam-Walaikum) by 2 people outside the station.
Which is very odd, but then again he and his team are all brown folks. He thinks those 2 guys might be some of the attackers.
Luckily they left in a cab after the fair as they were too tired. No outbound trains so they are stuck there for now.[/quote]

Glad to hear they are alright. Peace be upon them.

True that. Consider: 10 men, a few secondhand Makarovs, 8 rounds to a clip. That’d be a lot more dead bodies.[/quote]

Did I miss something…?

Weren’t these islamic nutters armed with fcking long knives…?

Stabbing innocent women and children.

Scumbags!!![/quote]

As opposed to PRC’s military and police shooting innocent women and children in East Turkistan? Terrorism is horrible, but frankly when two sides are so dis-proportionally matched, and the stronger sides goes on killing innocent people, you can bet on terrorism taking place.

If Tibetans aren’t Buddhists, there’d be way more terrorist acts in China, but instead they just burn themselves to death…[/quote]

That would be another question: did any specific incident trigger this massacre? Is it retaliation for _____? Who knows what happens in the Other Side.

Rowland: this is not like stepping in the wrong hood. they actually came out in numbers in attacked. I cannot accept the “they are just like that” argument. Even the 911 guys had an agenda. And there were too many in Kunming to be random wolf fame seeking lunatics.

Haven’t the Chinese done enough?

rfa.org/english/search?searc … submit.y=0

2014-2-28 - Xinjiang Police Fire Tear Gas on Uyghur Crowd at Bazaar
2014-2-28 - Authorities Bar Lawyer From Meeting With Detained Uyghur Scholar’s Wife
2014-2-26 - Three Students of Uyghur Scholar Ilham Tohti Formally Arrested
2014-2-18 - Detained Uyghur Scholar ‘Denied Legal Defense’: Lawyer
2014-2-14 - 'Attack’ on Police Patrol in Xinjiang Leaves 11 Dead
2014-2-05 - Missing Uyghur Journalist Found Jailed on ‘Separatism’ Charges
2014-2-03 - Uyghur Official Murdered, Man Killed in Xinjiang
2014-1-24 - 11 Uyghurs Killed at Kyrgyzstan Border, Triggering Call for Probe
2014-1-17 - Uyghur Villagers Forcibly Relocated to Make Way For Tourist Resorts
2014-1-13 - Uyghur Woman Forced to Abort Six-Month Pregnancy While Ill
2014-1-09 - China Steps Up ‘Strike Hard’ Campaign in Xinjiang
2013-12-30 - Eight Uyghurs Die in Fresh Violence in China’s Xinjiang
2013-12-27 - Land-Grab Farmers in Xinjiang Held For Speaking to ‘Hostile’ Media
2013-12-18 - Six Women Among Uyghurs Shot Dead in Xinjiang Violence
2013-12-16 - At Least 16 Killed in Latest Violence in Xinjiang

That’s just news that got out in the past 3 months.

It says a lot that when Uighurs terrorists kill civilians they are called Muslim nutters, but when Tibetan terrorists do the same the West rallies behind their cause.

The Guardian is reporting that the Chinese authorities are claiming it is Xinjiang separatists responsible for the attack.

Officials blame Xinjiang separatists for violence at crowded train station, which left 29 people dead and 130 injured

Got a feeling they will find out who the others were pretty quickly, at least I hope so. Kind of had an idea but not really sure what a Xinjiang separatist is supposed to be or stand for so a quick search also brought up this from the Washington post.

5 questions on Xinjiang separatists, Uighurs and the knife attacks at Chinese train station

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Icon”]

That would be another question: did any specific incident trigger this massacre? Is it retaliation for _____? Who knows what happens in the Other Side.
[/quote]

Haven’t the Chinese done enough?

rfa.org/english/search?searc … submit.y=0

2014-2-28 - Xinjiang Police Fire Tear Gas on Uyghur Crowd at Bazaar
2014-2-28 - Authorities Bar Lawyer From Meeting With Detained Uyghur Scholar’s Wife
2014-2-26 - Three Students of Uyghur Scholar Ilham Tohti Formally Arrested
2014-2-18 - Detained Uyghur Scholar ‘Denied Legal Defense’: Lawyer
2014-2-14 - 'Attack’ on Police Patrol in Xinjiang Leaves 11 Dead
2014-2-05 - Missing Uyghur Journalist Found Jailed on ‘Separatism’ Charges
2014-2-03 - Uyghur Official Murdered, Man Killed in Xinjiang
2014-1-24 - 11 Uyghurs Killed at Kyrgyzstan Border, Triggering Call for Probe
2014-1-17 - Uyghur Villagers Forcibly Relocated to Make Way For Tourist Resorts
2014-1-13 - Uyghur Woman Forced to Abort Six-Month Pregnancy While Ill
2014-1-09 - China Steps Up ‘Strike Hard’ Campaign in Xinjiang
2013-12-30 - Eight Uyghurs Die in Fresh Violence in China’s Xinjiang
2013-12-27 - Land-Grab Farmers in Xinjiang Held For Speaking to ‘Hostile’ Media
2013-12-18 - Six Women Among Uyghurs Shot Dead in Xinjiang Violence
2013-12-16 - At Least 16 Killed in Latest Violence in Xinjiang

That’s just news that got out in the past 3 months.[/quote]

That we know of. But still, an act like this seems planned for impact to achieve ________ (again, fill in the blanks).

[quote=“Mick”]The Guardian is reporting that the Chinese authorities are claiming it is Xinjiang separatists responsible for the attack.

Officials blame Xinjiang separatists for violence at crowded train station, which left 29 people dead and 130 injured

Got a feeling they will find out who the others were pretty quickly, at least I hope so. Kind of had an idea but not really sure what a Xinjiang separatist is supposed to be or stand for so a quick search also brought up this from the Washington post.

5 questions on Xinjiang separatists, Uighurs and the knife attacks at Chinese train station[/quote]

Death toll 35 and rising.

It’s always something. There are people who will kill you for looking at them funny. Cause and effect. Well, proximate cause, anyway.

[quote]
Rowland: this is not like stepping in the wrong hood. they actually came out in numbers in attacked. I cannot accept the “they are just like that” argument. Even the 911 guys had an agenda. And there were too many in Kunming to be random wolf fame seeking lunatics.[/quote]

In some ways, this whole planet is the wrong hood. There are people on this small blue marble who are simply unwilling to share it with those who are not members of their gang. They’ve got an agenda, and their agenda is completely flippin’ insane. They’re non-random lunatics.

We tend to forget this in Taiwan, because of the inverse racism here. Everybody loves us, and it’s easy to interpret that as an absence of racism if you have a simpleminded notion of what racism is. But there are huge parts of the world where people will hate us no matter what we say or do, and rationalize the hatred after the fact with identity politics or religion or whatever lies at hand. If that’s not nuts, then I don’t know what nuts is.

I haven’t seen a Free Tibet bumper sticker in ages.

I haven’t seen a Free Tibet bumper sticker in ages.[/quote]

I haven’t seen any news stories about TIbetan activists/ fighters/ revolutionaries/ whatever killing civilians.

I haven’t seen any news stories about TIbetan activists/ fighters/ revolutionaries/ whatever killing civilians.[/quote]

That is unless you are in China, then you see reports of “Tibetan terrorists” often.

I haven’t seen any news stories about TIbetan activists/ fighters/ revolutionaries/ whatever killing civilians.[/quote]

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/the-victims-are-all-innocent-civilians-1.393179#.UxQYsPmSy5s

For the record, I am equally sympathetic to the causes of the Uighurs and the Tibetans, just get annoyed with the hypocrisy.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/the-victims-are-all-innocent-civilians-1.393179#.UxQYsPmSy5s

For the record, I am equally sympathetic to the causes of the Uighurs and the Tibetans, just get annoyed with the hypocrisy.[/quote]

OK, thanks for that. However, they are talking about people dying in riots, not about premeditated terrorism. There is a considerable difference.

Something more than that–ethnic Chinese and Muslims singled out in riots. There is a difference, but I’m not sure how considerable it is.

No hypocrisy: the ‘west’ doesn’t give a flying shit about Tibet either.

Students this morning were asking me why the BBC put quotation marks around the word ‘terrorist’ in a news story. This is the latest whiny-boy shite that China has come up with to capitalise on the deaths of civilians. Nothing like a silly ‘hurt the feelings of the Chinese people’ campaign.

After I’d finished stifling my chuckles, I explained that British people use the word ‘terrorism’ differently since the Prevention of Terrorism act of 2005 and don’t use the word ‘terrorism’ to describe all mass killings with political / protest motivation, especially in news reporting because it’s a term of judgement and the media is supposed to be at least nominally neutral. All in one breath.

For the record, I am equally sympathetic to the causes of the Uighurs and the Tibetans, just get annoyed with the hypocrisy.[/quote]

OK, thanks for that. However, they are talking about people dying in riots, not about premeditated terrorism. There is a considerable difference.[/quote]

I dont know if you remember the incident, but the accusations were that the violent riots and killing of citizens were premeditated. Of course not exactly the same, but much of a muchness. Both are equally reprehensible if you ask me, no matter what the cause. The difference was, that at the time the Western media painted the Tibetans as brave freedom fighters against the evil Chinese state.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]No hypocrisy: the ‘west’ doesn’t give a flying shit about Tibet either.

Students this morning were asking me why the BBC put quotation marks around the word ‘terrorist’ in a news story. This is the latest whiny-boy shite that China has come up with to capitalise on the deaths of civilians. Nothing like a silly ‘hurt the feelings of the Chinese people’ campaign.

After I’d finished stifling my chuckles, I explained that British people use the word ‘terrorism’ differently since the Prevention of Terrorism act of 2005 and don’t use the word ‘terrorism’ to describe all mass killings with political / protest motivation, especially in news reporting because it’s a term of judgement and the media is supposed to be at least nominally neutral. All in one breath.[/quote]

Generally , I would agree. I despise China’s whiney baby rhetoric, just think that with this incident, they we short-changed and cruelly misrepresented by a Western media who did certainly give a shit at the time.

[quote=“OrangeOrganics”][quote=“Ermintrude”]No hypocrisy: the ‘west’ doesn’t give a flying shit about Tibet either.

After I’d finished stifling my chuckles, I explained that British people use the word ‘terrorism’ differently since the Prevention of Terrorism act of 2005 and don’t use the word ‘terrorism’ to describe all mass killings with political / protest motivation, especially in news reporting because it’s a term of judgement and the media is supposed to be at least nominally neutral. All in one breath.[/quote]

Generally , I would agree. I despise China’s whiney baby rhetoric, just think that with this incident, they we short-changed and cruelly misrepresented by a Western media who did certainly give a shit at the time.[/quote]

‘the media’ ≠ ‘the west’.

I think that if Tibetans started targeting non-Tibetan civilians for violence on a regular basis, then Westerners would criticize that behavior. I don’t see any evidence of a double standard with this one example.

No doubt Chinese authorities will leave no stone untouched to get the remaining terrorists who did this act. The thing is that China will now crack down very hard on that region . There could be other incidents now in that region of unrest where Chinese troops are going to mow down both activists as well as those caught in the crossfire.

China is going to mow down any unrest. This incident will bring much shedding of blood in that region.