Labor law change and Saturday work

This saturday 18 february is a work day according to the company I work for, is this legal after the labor law reform mandating two days off per week?

I’m told it’s legal as it’s a swap day with the 27th, other than that I don’t know but apparently government offices are also working so have to assume it is somehow legal. I’m not working tomorrow but also don’t have the 27th off.

I think it’s a “dealer’s choice” kind of situation. At my company, we do not have to come in tomorrow for work, and they are letting us keep the 27th as a holiday (but I think they might recoup that day later in the year). There seems to be some leeway in what companies can do.

We’re kind of working tomorrow. It will be a slower pace. Some folks are taking vacation time if they have plans. I don’t get this Taiwan holiday thing. They call the 27th and 28th holidays but you have to make up one. Where I’m from, holidays are really holidays (not days in a row without work)

I agree with you, on the other hand, something can be said for days in a row without work.

In the army, we had a unique schedule of six days on, three days off. When you calculate it out, you’re actually working more than 5 days to 2 days, but I loved it, everyone loved it other than the minor inconvenience that weekends fell on different days and not always the traditional weekend. Because of that third day, you really feel completely rested and almost bored so that you’re ready to work again,

Bored after three days off? I’m having trouble imagining that. Your stint in the army must have been extremely stimulating!

I wouldn’t be bored now, I know how to keep myself busy, disciplined, but back in the day when I was in my 20s…
I did love my job though, not your ordinary office-job stint, which might have something to do with it too.

My comment was more regarding the new law that mandates two days off per week and no more than 40 hours. Whereas this week is 6 days and 48 hours. I guess the government has made exemptions in the policy for these situations…

Companies above a certain size (headcount or sales, etc) are supposed to have an employee “representative” by law - like a union rep without actually calling it a union - 勞資會議勞方委員代表

I would expect such a person would be involved in signing-off on such moves. Most companies do not have this person in place - mostly out of sheer ignorance of the staff - and many of those who do make sure that this person is well aligned with management (e.g., is very junior).

I will post a link to that person’s role in the Labor Law if I find it

I’m guessing more information about that role can be found in documents like this:
www.mol.gov.tw/media/1380771/如何召開勞資會議.pdf

I don’t know this legislation so don’t know what is legal. But I have stood up for my rights before on labor law, and got fired for it. However it comes out on legality, try to ponder all your options, choose the wisest, before taking action. I’ve learned you have to be wiser and smarter than the boss, sometimes do his/her thinking for him/her in advance to come up with a win/win situation.