Landlord not quick to return deposit

My lease ended on July 18th. When I met the landlord to inspect the apartment last night, he didn’t return my deposit using the excuse that I’ll have some utility bills to pay. I don’t mind to pay what I owe. My last electric bill for two months was 2500, but I moved out on June 15th. My deposit is 50K. The utilities are in his name. What can I do about this? I’ve moved two other times, the landlord always came prepared with my deposit minus any fees that I owed.

I wouldn’t get too worked up yet, he hasn’t claimed any damage and rightfully might be worried about the upcoming utilities cost.

What I did was take a trip to both utilities and paid everything up to my last day, showed the receipts and the landlord was ok to return the full deposit.

Hopefully you still have proof of the deposit?

Thanks. i do have proof of paying the deposit. bank transfers to his account. the problem for me is that the utilities are in his name, and I don’t have access to the meters now, as I gave him the keys. The last two landlords that I rented from very excellent, and were prepared to return the deposit at inspection time. So I had this expectation that this is how people should do this transaction. My fear is that he doesn’t have my deposit. Usually when something doesn’t make sense, there is more to the story.

Message him today to ask what day you can swing buy to get the money, then you have paper trail.

Maybe it’s a little douchy but I never pay them in the last month. Then if they try to screw me it’s only 1 month.
So far my landlords have been good

Well, the landlord returned 40K of my 50K. My utilities have been calculated to 901. So, he owes me 8999. Guess what, he has gone through the place and found an electrical outlet that is not secured, basically shoddy construction. He is trying to blame me and says that he’s finding someone to estimate the cost. Unbelievable. Is there an organization that can help renters? I know he didn’t pay tax on the rent because he wouldn’t give me a receipt.

I think it is this one tmm.org.tw , Tsuei Ma Ma Foundation, sometimes the Li Zhang, neighborhood head can mediate

This is good information about Tsuei Ma Ma. Thanks! One of my friends called the landlord for me and he changed his story. Said he was always going to return my deposit and didn’t know why I’m so angry. Good news is that he returned my deposit and I never have to deal with him again!

That’s great, all is well that ends well.

Happy to hear.

He’s not sure why your so angry? Guess he figured you would roll and take a loss on the money. He thought wrong.

Glad to hear you got the dough.

1 Like