Landlord wants to do works in the house

Hi,

I rented a room in a shared house of three people in total with a very big common area and a roof top. Landlord keeps on sending people here because he said he wants to build a bathroom on the rooftop where there is one of the room. This will bring a lot of discomfort here both because of the frequent visit (architect, designer, building company, etc) and because of the actual works that will occur. Does tenants have some right in this or landlord can anytime just say that he will do some works without any notification or approval by the teanants?
Regards,

I add that just one month ago landlord did some works on the rooftop and this brought a lot of discomfort. He said in the beginning it would last one week but it lasted for one month. So I know the discomfort that I had. Noises, dust, etc… How does regulation works for this? I spoke with landlord and he said I can leave the house. I said I don’t want. He said this is his place and he can do whatever he wants. Any advice?

find a new place and report that bopomofo* for building an illegal addition to the roof.

*mod edit – please use profanity sparingly if at all

Hi,

the additional build on the rooftop I don’t think it’s illegal. I like where I stay. Why do I have to move out? My question is more related if I have some right like a proper notification or maybe my approval and what should I do.

you have no rights, he’s laid it out to you. he wants to keep building crap and earn more money and if you don’t like it you can leave. welcome to taiwan. choose your landlords wisely.

Hi,

so basically you are saying I cannot do anything. Like there is no obligation by landlord side to give a proper notification to teanants or something like that? I didn’t like the fact he told me I can leave if I don’t like because I like the place. I like to keep things civil and legal so I would like to know of from a legal point of view I have any right

You have rights. It’s just difficult to exercise them because of cultural factors and procedural headaches.

Tsui Mama can probably give better advice than any of us.
www.tmm.org.tw

You can also ask a free lawyer (in Chinese) at City Hall if you’re in Taipei.

If you check related laws by yourself, you might find something your legal rights on your situation.

Civil Code

Section 5 - Lease
Articles 421 – 463

Part Ⅲ Rights In Rem
Article 757 – 966

1 Like

Hi,

that’s a great source. I don’t know that there was in English too. I guess many people might really find it useful. I will create a thread with the law source above. There is anyway not the specific case. Nothing is also specify in terms of notification to the person who rents in order to enter the property. Maybe not in Taiwan…