Large Collection of Online Scanned Correspondence: George Kerr, Edward Paine, and Others

I don’t know if anyone has ever mentioned this on the board before, but there is a large collection of scanned images of various letters between George Kerr and others, and Edward Paine and others. There may be other kinds of documents there as well. I’ve only looked at it briefly.

Here’s a link to the collection: goo.gl/4SCre4

It’s apparently a part of the National Repository of Culture Heritage of the Ministry of Culture. I stumbled upon it tonight while searching for the M. Ottsen (I think Dr. Marcus Ottsen) who reportedly is the author of a few photographs taken during the 228 Incident. (I wasn’t able to find too much information about Dr. Ottsen online, and I doubt that there’s any correspondence by him or to him in this collection.)

Edited to add: Some of the indexed documents are missing. I can’t guess the percentage. Still, there’s a pretty good deal of material there.

2 Likes

Nice find!
Thanks for the link.
:bow:

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

That collection may turn out to be of interest to anyone who is curious about what it was like here in the late 1940s. It also seems to flesh out–well, somewhat–the relationships between the foreign personnel who were here at the time (I guess mostly people who were with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA)). Some of them appear to have kept in touch with each other.

I haven’t seen many pictures of 228, and that’s why I went looking for Dr. Ottsen on the 'net. I guess that there was no George Kadish present during the events (or that if there was, his or her pictures haven’t surfaced).

Did not know this existed. Thanks Charlie!

You’re welcome! I didn’t know about it, either. I found it by accident.

Update:

It appears that the collection of letters mentioned above has been moved to this URL:

http://nrch.culture.tw/

As far as I can tell, you can use the search box on that page to look for letters. Here’s a link to a sample (I hope).

(The sample linked above should appear as a normal webpage. The page created by searching and clicking a thumbnail should appear different from the one I linked to.)

I only glanced at the stuff on the old site, so I don’t remember much about it. For those reasons, I’m not sure that there’s a one-to-one correspondence, or anything like it, between the items in the collection on the old site and the items in the collection on this one.

Anyway, it looks as if there are some old letters on the new site.

3 Likes

I’m just posting a few links and quotes.

This link is to a copy of a typewritten translation of a radio address given by Chen Yi on March 10, 1947 (two pages; to go to the second page, you can click 檢視下一個 at the bottom of the first page).

The above document came from a thumbnail that was found on this page.

This link is to a copy of a typewritten letter dated August 21, 1967, from Stella Landauer (then with the World Health Organization and prior to that, with the UNRRA) to George Kerr, congratulating him on the publication of Formosa Betrayed.

In a postscript to her letter, she writes:

This link is to the first page of a ten- or eleven-page handwritten letter, dated February 7, 1948, From Dr. Ira Hirschy to a Dr. Larsen.

Unless there were multiple, contemporary Dr. Ira Hirschys of similar levels of adventurousness, Dr. Hirschy appears to have had a remarkable career. Hopefully you’ll be able to see a couple of examples here (“General Headquarters, Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers, Public Health and Welfare Section”) and here (“No Children Play in Island Leper Colony”).

Navigating through the pages of Dr. Hirschy’s digitized letter may be a little tricky.

Here’s an excerpt from page 7:

2 Likes

All this stuff…Hiding in plain sight.

1 Like

The original link seems to be no longer valid.

I found a copy of a memorandum by George H. Kerr, discussing the realities of KMT governed Taiwan and recommending what the US should do about Taiwan.

3 Likes

Thanks for the find, @hansioux.

Things seem kind of scattered, and my memory is not too clear about how things were originally arranged.

I’m slowly finding some dribs and drabs, but for all I know, what I’m finding may already be easily accessible elsewhere.

Anyway, here (I hope) are a few links:

Joshua W. K. Liao to George H. Kerr, April 25, 1950

文化部國家文化資料庫

Y. F. Yeh to George H. Kerr, August 12, 1954

文化部國家文化資料庫

R. L. Su to George H. Kerr, April 11, 1954

文化部國家文化資料庫

Gengo Suzuki to George H. Kerr, September 20, 1946

文化部國家文化資料庫

Antenna Yeh to George H. Kerr, August 31, 1949

文化部國家文化資料庫

Here’s a quote from the letter linked immediately above:

Antenna Yeh to George H. Kerr, August 12, 1954

文化部國家文化資料庫

Joshua W. K. Liao to George H. Kerr, February 28, 1948

文化部國家文化資料庫

Looks like six more from Joshua W. K. Liao to George H. Kerr, 1948-1950

Okay, for George Kerr, I think I may have just hit the jackpot from another website:

That website looks promising.

2 Likes