Latest (must-have) Scooter Theft Deterrent Device

As promised, here are the pics: :smiley:

looks geat :smiley:

Looks sweet!

Looks like the opposite of a theft-deterrent device to me. Looks like its saying “I’m cool! Steal me!”
Who did it, anyway? You? Nice-looking job. Should do a small one on the front fender as well, to add balance.

[quote=“sandman”]Looks like the opposite of a theft-deterrent device to me. Looks like its saying “I’m cool! Steal me!”
Who did it, anyway? You? Nice-looking job. Should do a small one on the front fender as well, to add balance.[/quote]

Yeah I did it, Thanks. Have had heaps of people checking it out since the weekend.
I am planning on doing the front guard as well. I was going to airbrush them on but couldn’t find the right sort of paint easily (try telling the lady at B&Q “er…it’s for putting flames on my scooter…”) so I went with some signwriter’s vinyl.

A bit of fun anyway.

[quote=“sandman”]Looks like the opposite of a theft-deterrent device to me. Looks like its saying “I’m cool! Steal me!”[/quote]Looks great but agree with Sandman. Hope you have a good lock or two.

My bikes look like clapped-out rubbish although the insides are in good working order. I believe that acts as some kind of a deterrent.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“sandman”]Looks like the opposite of a theft-deterrent device to me. Looks like its saying “I’m cool! Steal me!”[/quote]Looks great but agree with Sandman. Hope you have a good lock or two.

My bikes look like clapped-out rubbish although the insides are in good working order. I believe that acts as some kind of a deterrent.[/quote]

Well, before the hot rod flames, this weapon was in ‘as new, inconspicuous and ready to sell again in a flash’ condition.
Judging by the amount of pointing, nodding, clapping and :notworthy: etc, I believe is is now less inconspicuous that before, so my theory is that it will get bypassed for the next one.
I mean, if you were a scooter jacker, would you want flames on the side of your next lift?
My biggest concern is Mordeth can now track me down :s

The retro thing isn’t really my style, but the work is very good. Better than many professional jobs I’ve seen. :sunglasses:

I agree that custom paint is a theft deterent because it makes it harder for a joyrider to blend in and the parts are worth less in resale. Aftermarket parts however will really attract the scooterpunk type thieves.

truant -
Nice job, looks great.
IS that a windshield(windscreen) on your bike?
I have been thinking of adding one to mine.
Anyway - the flames look [i][color=red]HOT![/i][/color]

Cheers. No windsheild - apparently they are a hassle on windy days both when riding but also can help tip your scooter over when it’s parked.

I like those tiny 6" jobs tho, just not really sure what they’re actually supposed to do.

It’s strange I have the same design tattooed on my butt cheeks.

do people want to take your ass home now as a result, or do they move on to the next one?

you know - i once painted an old bike of mine. nothing special, just flat black paint and shined up the chrome a little …

gone within a week.

locals say it’s probably now in china. if that’s the case, maybe your scoot might disappear too. even if it just goes down south, hard to get back. but looks like a great job.

If this is a must-have device and everyone has one, won’t everyone’s bike have flames on the side ? Then you need to have a bike without flames to stand out.

yes, a tad bit of sarcasm from me as I’m assuming no one else will do it.

[quote=“xtrain_01”]you know - i once painted an old bike of mine. nothing special, just flat black paint and shined up the chrome a little …

gone within a week.

locals say it’s probably now in China. if that’s the case, maybe your scoot might disappear too. even if it just goes down south, hard to get back. but looks like a great job.[/quote]

so you made you bike look tidier and more stealable. I still don’t think a crook would want to be seen dead riding a scoot with flames on it - the idea is to blend in when you’re ripping something off. Who knows, but I think it is less stealable now. I put 2 good locks on it too.

point is it may go down south, across the water, or …

become the possession of a scooterboy, who, minus helmet, weaves in and out of cars at 90 km without even pausing at red lights, smoke in one hand, cell in the other, chatting up his woman on the back. methinks this particular indiv. might like any form of extra attention he can get …

not a flame, just a head’s up - not nice to lose a bike. good call on the locks.

I put flames on my old CBR…I copied the tribal design they did on the '05 models…but those only had black and silver flames.

Pic here:

wow, now this is uncanny. Mordeth dug this thread up from the dark ages the very day I went down to Chang Hua to pick up the retrieved stolen scooter from the cops.

The reason it got stolen was cos the keys were left in it by mistake :noway: (not me)…and that was 6-7 months ago.
So in the train heading down to this place (south of Taichung), I was having a bet with Mrs Truant as to what condition the scooter would be in. She was convinced it would be in near perfect condition, complete with the flames.
I thought that if someone was sneaky enough to steal the damn thing, the first thing they would do would be to peel the sticker flames off…ya know, there are hardly any Black 125 Vinos around as it is, so you’d be wanting to be inconspicous…you’d think.

Well here are a couple pics. As you can see, the flames DID survive, and it looks like the scooter itself was in pretty good shape… right up until it was crashed and had most of the front plastic wiped off.
Because they had perfect set of keys, the lock etc was all in tact and my keys fitted straight in and started the beast.
Even tho the cops were not too happy about us riding it like that, I managed to convince them and rode it back to Taoyuan after aligning the handlebars and taping on the loose indicator. I checked out the structure and all was 100% ok, so it was asthetics really (and dealing with 5 hrs of taiwanese sniggers at the lights all the way back)
First pic, in the cop’s yard (note the steering alignment problem)

here it is at a rest stop about 4hrs into the 5hr journey, along the west coast. Still humming along nicely.

So, there is the proof. The flames in all their conspicuous glory did not deter a thief from riding the bike as is for upto 6 months.

Wow…the thief left the flames on…that is stupid. Can you imagine seeing it riding down the street? You should have put some pics of it in the open forum…I’m sure at least one poster in here would have noticed it.

Speaking of which. If anyone sees a half helmet with a very subtle wolf design on it. It’s mine. Got it stolen from me 7 years ago. And I’m sure it’s the only one in Taiwan.