Learn Chinese on your Nintendo DS!

There’s a new program out called DSZhongwen for the NDS that looks pretty cool.
I tried to DL it, but the site had exceeded it’s bandwidth so I wasn’t able to.
I’ll check around and see it it’s available in other places.

[quote] New in this release: Update (31-March-2007): Beta Release, can be considered as a (nearly) finished v1.0, except for some quirks and things that need to be pulished.

Features:
Save/Load game (using DLDI)
Grammar, Listening, and writing lessons.
Exams of every lesson: Quiz, “Cards”.
Pinyin phonetics: Ideograms will be read by the NDS.
Animated ideograms in the writing lessons.
Configuration: Left-handed / Right-handed (for writing lessons), speed of the animated ideograms.[/quote]

I found a direct download over here.
You have to sign up (quick/easy/free) to DL from the site.
I played around with it for a bit, and it still seems a bit buggy, but it’s fun to use.

For the serious student, putting the Pinyin right under the characters like that is a big no-no if you want to read characters. Your eye will be drawn to it like Homer Simpson to an all you can eat shrimp bar.

how does one download things to a ds? thanks.

I was interested in getting a Palm for learning Chinese with SuperMemo, but if I could do the same thing with a DS I’d be happier with that.

Do you know if the DS can handle Chinese characters normally–like in a webpage when using Opera for DS? I heard that Nintendo was selling a DS under the iQue brand name in China that had the ability to display Chinese, but can normal DSs do that already? I’m a little confused.

You can’t DL to a DS.
You DL to either a 1st or 2nd slot solution.
That is, a cartridge/card that you put into your DS.
There are lots of different ones that do different things for different prices.

Hi, this is the creator of DSZhongwen (rrc2soft) speaking :slight_smile: ,

A DS (not the iQue DS) cannot handle Chinese characters normally. You need to include inside the game a “dictionary” that maps the unicode with the corresponding Chinese character and its pinyin. If you know a bit of programming, you can take a look at the source code :wink:.

Woah, cool!
How did you stumble into this site?
You’re not in Taiwan are you?

You can’t DL to a DS.
You DL to either a 1st or 2nd slot solution.
That is, a cartridge/card that you put into your DS.
There are lots of different ones that do different things for different prices.[/quote]

thanks, i figured it out soon after my lame post though :slight_smile:

[quote=“Josefus”]Woah, cool!
How did you stumble into this site?[/quote]
Google is my friend ;-).

[quote=“Josefus”]
You’re not in Taiwan are you?[/quote]
Nope, I’m not in Taiwan, I’m in Spain (hometown) nowadays… Although I was living for some time in Singapore => my motivation to start learning (mandarin) Chinese.

Any idea where to find a Eng-Chi / Chi-Eng dictionary for the Sony PSP? I’ve seen them in China but was unable to get a copy for silly reasons.