Learn from experience - partnership

Learn from experience, the experience of others.

This is one thing that I wish that I had really done properly right from the beginning. You don’t have to learn the hard way.

I want to tell you all about the pitfalls and problems of getting involved in a partnership in Taiwan. One thing I want to make very clear is that I am not bitter, angry, or hostile to my partner at all. There are things that I should have done, but didn’t, that made my currect situation exactly what it is.

First let me outline my position for you.

Over a year ago, almost a year and a half, myself and a Taiwanese person opened a buxiban. Previously that Taiwanese (I use the term Taiwanese only to show that the person is a Taiwan ID holder and not a spouse as is the case in many situations - hereafter to be refered to as the partner) partner was my employer, and in one position that I hold apart from the buxiban, still is.

We opened with him putting up the capital so we could open big and not struggle, and I came up with the labor end of the deal. Ok, so that is cool, so I thought. While the school lost money I never had to be out of pocket and could take home an ok salary for myself. However, the hours were brutal, I worked for him from 8:30am to 4pm and worked “with” him from 4pm to 9pm, infact I still do. That was my decision. Only, now I have worked myself into a position where I cannot leave either position without leaving both. I have become a neccessary part of the furniture.

• Point one - Make sure you lay out exactly how many hours you are going to put in as part of your share of the workload. Ownership entails alot of work and little rest, but there is no point working yourself into an early grave.

• Point two - If your work is split between several places have a plan for getting it all under one roof as soon as possible. Or, be able to delegate.

I went on like this for a long time, my health was failing, I was getting thinner, and never spending enough time with my family. Could never make time for exercise, not even an hour or two off to take care of myself.

• Point three - Make sure that you are given, or take, the ability to have control over your time. Don’t allow things to be so dependant on you that you have no time to look after yourself. Family is important, if you neglect them and the work dies, well, you may have nothing (thank goodness I have my family).

My position basically entitles me to profit share as a partner, however, the profits that I am entitled to do not make it entirely worthwhile. As it is, I develop the school, control the curriculum, manage advertising, well… manage the place.

I took on a local teacher manager to help out with the parents and manage the local staff. This was great in being able to understand more clearly what the parents wanted and give them what we could. However, too many chiefs and not enough …

*Point 4 - Make sure that as a partner you have a say in everything. Don’t give away too much power.

Giving away power in the wrong areas creates problems and division. Make sure that you retain the final say. Listen to others, value their opinions, allow contribution (welcome it), just make sure that you are still at the wheel with control of the gas and the brake.

*Point 5 - You will not have important documents in your name. You will still need someone with a Taiwanese ID. That entitles them, in many ways, perhaps in their mind, to a huge say on the way things are run. It is their name at risk. However, make sure from the very beginning that, if you are doing the work and running things, that the final say is largely yours on day to day business.

Why do I say this? Once, one of the local staff hit a kid with a ruler, in plain view, in the office - the ruler broke on the childs hand. To me, that is an instant fireable act. There is no coming back from that. However, because we were short of local teachers my desire to fire was overturned. I understand the issue, but the kind of message that this sends out to other staff is wrong, “I can get away with anything as long as you need me”. I don’t think I need anyone that much.

To sum things up…

The best situation, the ideal situation, is to be in a position where all the BIG decisions are yours to make. In Taiwan there is little protection that can be offered to you unless you have a well written contract (mine isn’t BTW). Try not to work with someone who has power over other areas of your life as far as finance is concerned (the bulk of my income comes from when I work “for” my partner and not “with” him). Money is power, and when someone controlls your finances, he or she controlls you.

Money is not the be all and end all.

My advice is as follows.
Save lots of money. If your wife is qualified for a buxiban licence, use her name. If not, find a local that will take a back seat, have a great lawyer and a great contract, make everything clear from the beginning and how things will work out in the future. Open a school yourself.

The result of my situation leaves me loving what I do, but feeling the need to get out and find something else to do that will allow me to have more control of my time and finances. At the moment I am “quietly” looking around at opportunities, although I keep working away at making my currect school better and bigger. I know I am a success, but what is the cost.

Don’t be like the British Royal Family, being called “King” but having limited (or in their case “NO”) power.

Good post Bassman.

There is only one boss ever and it’s you. Partnerships almost always arrive at a split. If you are aware of this before you enter into one then there is nothing to be concerned about, because you can write it into your agreement, if the law protects you. If it doesn’t then don’t enter into any kind of partnership.

This is specific to schools or all businesses?

[quote=“jlick”][quote=“Bassman”]*Point 5 - You will not have important documents in your name. You will still need someone with a Taiwanese ID.[/quote]This is specific to schools or all businesses?[/quote]To schools only I think. I believe Bassman is referring to the “Ban Zhu Ren” (something I would like to find out more about).

Bassman, a very informative post, thankyou. I know two flourishing schools with Taiwanese/foreign business partner owners, but there must be many more where it doesn’t work so well. In these two schools the Taiwanese partner takes a back seat, hands-off approach. An ideal situation from my point of view! But not easy to find such a good business partner.

[quote=“Dottie”][quote=“jlick”][quote=“Bassman”]*Point 5 - You will not have important documents in your name. You will still need someone with a Taiwanese ID.[/quote]This is specific to schools or all businesses?[/quote]To schools only I think. I believe Bassman is referring to the “Ban Zhu Ren” (something I would like to find out more about).

Bassman, a very informative post, thankyou. I know two flourishing schools with Taiwanese/foreign business partner owners, but there must be many more where it doesn’t work so well. In these two schools the Taiwanese partner takes a back seat, hands-off approach. An ideal situation from my point of view! But not easy to find such a good business partner.[/quote]

Yes, schools, it is the Ban Zhu ren position. Although that is what I call myself on my business card, I am not and cannot be that person. You need one for the licence.

So, in my haste I wasn’t clear enough, what I should say is …

The important documents, in regard to the licence for the school, will not be in your name. You can be involved in the school on an ownership level, but not as far as holding the licence goes.

You can own a school and hold the licence; however, you need a Taiwanese with at least a degree to be the office manager.

That is just what I said, well pretty much. You need that office manager, and that office manager is who the officials look for every time they come in. Try meeting all the requirements alone and you can be in for a long haul of paper work and red tape. Tried that. Was told, at the time, that I’d need a Taiwanese in with me, no, not by the partner, but by the buxiban association.

But, the key point I would like to make about my situation is that he who controls the money controls the world.

This all being said, I think I may have, in some small areas (no biggies), been misled. Especially in Taichung when I was shown, what appears to be old regulations about foreign ownership of businesses in Taiwan. Actually, I was way too trusting and in too much of a rush. But, it’s all swings and roundabouts.

Back in these posts on this thread;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 695#103695](Foreign-owned buxibans/anqinbans
the consensus was that the banzhuren was a paper position. Daltongang said he hadn’t seen his in years.

So how reliant is one on the banzhuren? (I assume he/she does not take any financial guarantorial responsibility for the school.)

[quote=“Dottie”]Back in these posts on this thread;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 695#103695](Foreign-owned buxibans/anqinbans
the consensus was that the banzhuren was a paper position. Daltongang said he hadn’t seen his in years.

So how reliant is one on the banzhuren? (I assume he/she does not take any financial guarantorial responsibility for the school.)[/quote]

Ok, they don’t take any financial role in the school, however there are a few things to remember should the MOE ever show up. In the network that we have we have one ban zhu ren that is now at another location. When the MOE comes to inspect we have to play musical ban zhu ren and all switch schools for the day. Some kids have to go on field trips too.

The banzhuren is takes responsibiltiy on paper, that is about it. However, are you going to find one that takes a back seat and never shows up. Will they rent the use of their name, many do. Heck, I know teachers who rent their diploma’s to schools just so as the school can pass inspections.

• The main thing is… profit sharing, money and power.

I think that the position of banzhuren can be a position of power if the person wants it to be, in my case the man with the money IS the banzhuren. That makes it all the more difficult. Take a look on the buxiban website and you’ll see his name up there as the person in charge. When money and paper position combine, you have a potential problem. He used to be very back seat, I’ve said that before, but it didn’t take long to change, and things were going very well then too.

Gosh, really, the more I type the less I know and the more I am learning or remembering.

I guess the only thing I know for sure is how to run a school, how to build a good curriculum, and how to get things moving quickly through innovation and creative ideas.

How many foreigners get “used” as the face of the school because of their repuation and talent and the fact that they’ve been here a while? I wonder.

• Point - Don’t allow yourself to be used beyond what you are able to accept. Best thing is to “use” yourself for yourself.

I might add that the “used as face” to get the business ball rolling is fine, but what happens when the school gets bigger than the face?

Curriculum is king. My wife NEVER tells new students’ parents about me, because our school is so big now that I can’t possibly teach all the classes. If you start small and you build up a decent core of understanding parents, when you get big, they will feel cheated when you can only teach their kids once a week instead of three times.

Keep on the lookout for great foreign teachers and when you find one or two, grab them! Cut them in on a good deal…doesn’t have to be a partnership or even profit sharing…but it could ( I for one wouldn’t even bring it up until 6 months had passed).

BTW Bassman, when are you gonna come up North and see how things could be? :slight_smile:PM me brother…we should talk.

Bassman good post. Very interesting and good points brought up. I too have had similar problems here, only in a different business. I agree that noney is power. Some us it very much too. All I can say is be careful and thanks for the note to come here.

[quote=“Fox”]You can own a school and hold the licence; however, you need a Taiwanese with at least a degree to be the office manager.[/quote]A friend of mine was told by a local government official that a foreigner could only be the owner of a licensed buxiban for kids if he/she had an APRC. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If this is true, what would be a good way to protect my investment, in a partnership with a local who was the owner? Would there be any way of separating into say a parent company and the buxiban itself?

Thanks for any tips.

It’s not true in that you don’t need to have a permanent residence visa. Well not in Taipei at least and not last time I checked.

Thanks for the swift reply! Perhaps what they meant was that there is a limit on the share a foreigner can hold. To your knowledge can a foreigner own 100% if need be?

I’ve heard that it is possible, but I don’t know how.

There still seems to be something that requires a local manager. If that’s the case, then it doesn’t seem to be 100%.