Learning Chinese Flashcards

Very nicely done Truant! Those cards and the site look great! :bravo:

Cheers DB.

If anyone is interested, I just checked the stats for the last 13 days:

Over 600 individual visits to the flashcards site, with Taiwan visits about 35% (US, Canada, Australia, NZ, Singapore and Russia(!) next respectively)

Over 300 flashcard fullset downloads. (individual chapters on top of that, but negligible)

2 donations. :notworthy:

I really wanted to make a donation for these great flashcards (even managed to remember my Paypal password), but:

Too bad. Glad I downloaded the flashcards yesterday. :wink:

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]I really wanted to make a donation for these great flashcards (even managed to remember my Paypal password), but:

Too bad. Glad I downloaded the flashcards yesterday. :wink:[/quote]
mmm, try this link truant.net/flashcards

Oh and BTW, I set up that donation thing so a paypal account or registration at paypal is not required :sunglasses:

Everything working again! :slight_smile:

Good… but I’ve still got some money on my Paypal account. :wink:

謝謝你!!

must have been a spike in the huge demand for these things :unamused:

Much kudos to Truant and anyone else who contributed to those flashcards :notworthy:

Is the any chance that I can convince you to add BPMF on the to-do list for a newer version of the flashcards? Although I am alot more ‘fluent’ with Hanyu Pinyin compared to BPMF I still consider it useful to (re)learn how to spell with BPMF.

In case your wondering, yes I’m a *BC :rainbow:

I must add my thanks to Truant and all those involved in his flashcard scheme :bravo: Only problem is now, they are so good that the Tai Tai has seen them and is demanding that I learn quicker! Jo Min Agh!! :wink:

Just as an update, I have had a fair bit of feedback as to some more desirable features of the cards. Thanks to those people.

The next release includes BPMF in the pronunciation area (ideal for learning to type chinese), along with the Romanization.
…and they are double sided. On the back is just the character itself, so they can be used that way for testing/learning and flipped when stuck.

Due to the quality issues associated with double sided printing etc, and the COST associated with printing these then cutting these on decent quality card, I have looked into getting these done professionally, and it looks like I will be able to provide ready-made sets soon. The price for the printing/cutting of these double sided cards isn’t final yet, but it will almost certainly be cheaper than doing it yourself.

I am going to also do a “top 1000” set for those interested in something more generic and will go from there depending on how popular they are.

If you are contemplating making up some full sets, just hold off for a while til I get some prices finalised and it might save you a heap of time, and give you a better product.

OK, so the last post was a week ago, when will we get the update on cost for ready made sets?

BTW if anyone is unsure whether to leap into learning characters I started a few weeks ago and my spoken mandarin/vocabulary has improved dramatically.

Excellent job, Truant! I don’t even want to know how much time and work you put into those. :notworthy:

Just to let you all know, I have done some production runs of sets and they are now available to buy.

Basically, 1nt per card thereabouts so:

Book1 - $1200nt
Book2A - $1200nt
Book2B - $1200nt

For these sets, I updated the card layout to include BPMF as part of the pronunciation, and by popular request, the flashcard is printed double sided and shows just the character on the back (for studying with).
They are printed on top quality German card stock (the same card stock used for good namecards) and are all printed, cut and packaged professionally so all you need to do is start using them.

The free version will be available for download for some time, and essentially all I am providing with purchased sets is a decent printing/cutting/packaging service so students can use the time to study rather than make.
However, to buy decent card stock costs upto 300nt for 10 sheets. Each set contains approx 100 sheets, which are double side printed and cut/packaged. 1200nt for a set is a pretty hard to beat even if you make them all yourself over several hours.

Just PM me if you would like more details. So far, I have been able to deliver sets into Taipei/Taoyuan, but I am sure posting to other places wouldn’t be too much of a problem either.

I ordered and paid for a set of the book 1 cards and they arrived the next day! Excellent quality and packaged very well. The cards are divided into 10 seperate holding cases and the print quality is A1 :slight_smile:

Thanks Truant, will definitely buy more from you in the future!

What are these 100 characters? Where can I find these 100?

I just got my set of shiny, flashy, nice-smelling cards! They were delivered in person, by a strapping young man with a funny accent :smiley:

The cards look promising. They seem to whisper: “tash! tash! we promise to teach you Chinese!”

I’m so excited I think I’ll wear them to bed :bouncy:

And tomorrow I’m taking one batch with me to Japan. By the time I come back I better have all the words memorized or I want my money back! :wink:

Great job, Truant!

I also got a set of cards from the strapping young fella with a funny accent! I’ve been studying with them every day for the past couple of weeks and they have already helped me out immensely.

Good job indeed Truant!

I want Book 3! I have forgotten half of them as I am lazy and/or stupid.

I bought a set of these cards, which arrived the next day. The quality is first class, and the amount of work and care which has gone into them is considerable. They’re also incredibly cheap, but very professionally presented.

Just letting everyone know I have updated the flashcards website.

In the downloads section, there are Free sample sets (150 cards each) of DIY cards and Soft copy versions of Books 1, 2a & 2b.

The DIY cards are single sided but now include BPMF.

The Softcopy cards use Adobe Reader (Free) so they can be used either on a Desktop machine or a Handheld device (PDA or Pocket PC) running Adobe Reader. The files simulate flashcard flipping, so they give a very good feel as to what the hardcopy sets are like.

The hardcopy sets now use an improved layout which can generally be described as Chinese on one side, and English on the other.(see the image in my sig below) This is proving to be more popular and a more effective learning layout than previously.
Besides that, the cards are now fully bi-directional so cater to more studying styles.

Hardcopy sets are 1200nt each delivered anywhere in Taiwan.

truant.net/flashcards

hi,

your cards look great! I would be really interested in them if you could make two changes for me

1. add bopomofo to the cards
  2. add a taiwanese reading of the character

I know this is asking a lot for hundreds of cards but…if there is any chance…?