Leaving Taipei to Shanghai for work?

They always slip it in some how if not right away in many of my encounters telling them I’m from taiwan. Once they expected me to sing the PRC national anthem with them thinking that people here also sing it and know it. I don’t know if they wer serious or messing with me.

My favourite is when they give me a local phone number in China not realising I need to dial international.

1 Like

Hi Andrew, I have a friend who taught AP Calculus and Statistics in Shanghai. I can give you his Line if it helps. He is really nice and has a lot of experience.

I don’t think they were messing with you and were probably disappointed you did not join them.

You should have a shirt that has “Republic of Taiwan” or “I support Taiwanese Independence” in Chinese on it and see what happens. Maybe that is too provocative.

Just try the ROC flag shirt. They shouldn’t get mad, as it is a part of their history.

On another note, you can/could get Mao bobble head dolls at the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial shop.

Thanks brother. I know people in shanghai as well. I worked with many of them in the entertainment industry. They obviously like it there as they live there and some have not lived here. So I wanted to see how people who live here feel about shanghai.

1 Like

I think people here know how I feel about chairman mao and his CCP if they’ve been here long enough

This was like 4-5 years ago I believe haha. My father had a panic attack and told me to take it off along with my friends on the trip on social media saying the CCP was going to come after me.

3 Likes

Get a custom “CKS is the true ruler of China” t-shirt :wink: hahaha

I was also surprised to find out taiwan has representivies that speak for the island in political issues in meetings. They were surprised I’ve never heard of them as they ask for my opinion of them. Can you imagine that’s your job. What do they actually do?

Or a t-shirt that says “There is one true China… And it is the Republic of China” :sweat_smile::laughing::clown_face:

1 Like

Do mean in the capital? Yeah. I heard about that. The party has assigned a group to represent Taiwan Province. It is quite hilarious to think about. And scary, too.

yea chinese get triggered every time the word taiwan is mentioned. its fucking annoying.

as for nice things, the impressive skyline and old buildings on the bund are pretty amazing. theres different food than you can find than here. sichuan food is popular and awesome. lanzhou food (noodles and beef dumplings) are amazing and xin jiang food is good too. and theres an awesome brekfast pancake called jian bing. other than that the good things are the crazy things… which might not be good after they are not new anymore.

Definitely Mando accent is heavier in BJ, but then again Shanghainese is a whole other ball game.

People get blacklisted for talking about Taiwan, Tibet, Falun Gong etc. no doubt about that. Then you just get refused next time you apply for a visa or a taibaozheng or whatever. That’s mainly how they roll on that front. Probably safe enough to flip Mao a bird on forumosa though :slight_smile:

It’s not like Taipei didn’t spend decades doing the same thing.

1 Like

Not if you have WeChat on your phone :wink:

Well…yeah…but…they don’t anymore.

Do they?

I think your and/or the gf should have their own driver. I would not think it’s over the top, especially in Shanghai. When I mentioned transportation in the package, in my previous post I meant, a driver, not the company covering your taxi fares or monthly metro expenses.

When I was in SZ, our company used a group of guys for taxi services. They weren’t part of a company, but just a group of guys that drove people around. Their fares were a bit more than the taxis you’d hail, but their cars were clean, drivers were courteous AND they were always on time. If they weren’t on time, they would notify us. Now that’s unheard of…in China. You could ask around about this.

That picture doesn’t really look like you are giving Mao the finger. To me, it just looks like you are flipping off the camera.

Shanghai and most Chinese cities have come a long way. There’s no need for drivers or any of that lark. You just use the local didi ride app or taxis if you speak Chinese. Most of the cities have decent metros and buses and the share bikes. Difference with Taiwan is not huge. It’s just more along the cultural side of things that you might feel annoyed after a while along withe pollution and general 'not giving a fuck ’ and rough attitude of many.

Now depending where you live you can live in a bit more of a foreign bubble in the central west side of Shanghai or else in Pudong which is similar to living in xinbeishi or liinkou etc. If you are just working for those high earning expats and local Chinese can then can do perfectly well in that kind of business as there’s a lot of money floating around. But need to check how your accomodation situation is.

Even Pudong has very developed areas of course. I usually just visit Pudong as our office is there and it’s still about 30 mins ride into the city center but if there is traffic it’s more than that. The traffic situation can be pretty bad although nowhere is as bad as Beijing. Shanghai is like paradise compared to Beijing.

Not sure how it works in Shanghai suburbs and neighbor cities, but in Shenzhen the public transport is really only good for the city proper. Outside of that and it doesn’t look so good at all. Having that said if you were getting a driver the only reason would be that you were either stinking rich, or just over for a couple of days.