Leaving Taipei to Shanghai for work?

Thanks for your input. I’m having a formal sit down from them taking me out for lunch. I think this is the first time I’ve been sought out for my experiences that I gathered working vs trying to find a way to work without a finished degree. I think what you said about how people are more ambitious in shanghai and driven has me interested. I feel too comfortable in taiwan with my situation. I’ve lost my interest in being motivated and wanting to be somebody here. And have grown socially secluded not really bothered to do much. Although my time in China wasn’t as comfortable vs taiwan. There was a certain wildness and just madness of how things are that you went with and enjoyed it you adapted.

I think I would be able to adapt living in most places, but it’s not the easiest finding jobs for my situation.

I know I am just waffling at this stage. Gotta go where it works for you of course!

If you want to live in a place with non-existent Internet and rapidly disappearing freedoms, where you have to pay pretty much every time you turn around, China’s your best bet.

Shanghai is a highly developed International city.
I don’t know why so many people are demonizing it.

The only taboo is probably the politics.
It’s better to not make any comment about their politics.
But I will say the exact same thing when you’re living in a neighborhood supporting Trump in the US.

As for the firewall against certain websites on the Internet, I’m sure the locals know how to break it via VPN or anything like that. Nothing to worry about actually.

Just go ahead, @Andrew0409. You’ll be fine.

I’m not to concern about the firewall as i’ve lived in China and i’ve gotten around it. My only issue is that it was really slow, but I was living in international dorms and housing for students with internet vs me getting my own. So that might be the reason why it was so slow.

1 Like

I’m having my meeting about the shanghai job tomorrow. Anything I should make sure I ask about the job that I’m missing?

Help with relocation and housing
Transportation there
What else should I expect to have?

Also, my father said that I should consider getting a big chunk on my salary paid in NTD in taiwan so I can avoid paying a lot of taxes in China, and in taiwan as a overseas ROC there. Also I believe I still file taxes in the US as a US citizen? I’m a little bit confused on that. Anyone have any experience in that?

It’s hard to get yuan out of China and there’s a limit of how much you can exchange into USD or other currency. There’s a big black market that does that stuff now.

Yeah you need to file taxes in the US, I’m not sure how much you make, but if it’s under about $108k/year, you can file for the Federal Earned Income Exclusion.

If you live in CA, you still have to file for state taxes too.

Most of the partners are Taiwanese and would have accounts and businesses in Taiwan. It’s not just a gym. There’s a lot going on with it and that’s why I’m so interested in going. I have no interest in just doing gym stuff or training people for life. But i would hate having to pay taxes in 3 different countries. That would really suck.

Payback clause, if any for moving expenses and an bonuses you might get.
You might see if you can get your taxes done by an accountant on their dime. Or at least for the first year.

Its fairly common for people to ask to split the salary or at least it was , not sure how many do it now. That’s because tax rates are significantly higher in China.

Should Andrew leave Taipei for Shanghai to work? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: It is decidedly so

Plane tickets every 2-3 months to go home or anywhere. My old company used to give us a 10,000NT budget for a plane ticket every 60 days. My old boss said, I didn’t have to go back to TW and could go to Japan or SEA if I wanted. However, I couldn’t cash in the 10,000NT and not fly out.

If you make below a certain amount (in USD), you don’t have to pay Federal tax. You still have to file and keep it on record, but I’ve been here for 4 years on an ARC and every year, I haven’t filed state or Fed tax.

In terms of state tax, if I remember correclty, you don’t even have a permanent address in the US, so…how do you even go about paying state tax?

Definitely consider requesting to get the salary split. If you are having a lot of expenses paid for in SHA and if you don’t plan on staying past year 4 in SHA, maybe consider a majority of your salary being paid to TW?

Ok, so i’m going to visit before agreeing to go and see the place and shanghai as well. Anyone know how visa works going into China. I need one whether I use US or ROC passports right?

ROC passport/台胞證 is the less hassle path to go. I’m not sure about the cost, but I do know a US passport holder getting a Chinese Visa takes a little time and is quite expensive if you have a travel agency handle it.

Here’s how to apply for 台胞證
http://visa123.com.tw/visa.html?cID=2

1 Like

Doesn’t china issue Taiwan passport holders a Chinese ID now when visiting the mainland?

http://m.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2015/09/21/446401/Chinas-ID.htm

I will ask my travel agent and see whats up. I havent been back to the mainland in 3 years, HK many times but i guess it’s different.

Has she considered switching to Chinese, at least “temporarily”? Media being such a fast changing field, she would need to learn new things later anyway, but language tends to be more stable. And studying Chinese in China wouldn’t raise eyebrows in western countries the way studying journalism in China would.

I could be wrong. I am many times. But, doesn’t the ROC require something similar for PRC residents?