Leaving Taiwan. Death in the family. Tax money?

Huge help, guys. Family member died and my other family member needs my help. I must quit my job today and go home immediately.

My job has been understanding. They don’t know how much this breaks my heart.

I’ve been here since September. My recruitment company told me I’m not entitled to a tax refund. They told me no need to go to the tax office. Is that true? I appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks guys.

"About your tax refund, since you arrived in Taiwan on Semptember 13th, 2016, and the days you had been physically in Taiwan were not more than 183 days last year, you are not entitled with the tax refund. And this year, too. Foreigners have to be in Taiwan physically more than 183 days that year to get the tax refund for that year. "

That sounds about right actually. After half a year you are eligible to tax refunds and be taxed a 6% instead of the 15 or 20 something the tax you before that.

Sorry for your loss.

If your employer withheld the correct amount, and you’re not entitled to any exemption or deduction (and I can’t think of any that applies to non-residents off the top of my head), there’s no refund to speak of.

You can still file a tax return if you want to, and if you plan to come back to Taiwan, you should. The normal filing time is May of the following year, but you’re allowed to file early, within something like 7 days of (before) your departure.

Assuming your monthly salary is over the minimum for foreign white collar workers (48k), the non-resident withholding rate is 18%. For less than 1.5x the Basic Wage (that would be 30-something now) it’s 6%.

Non-salary income may be taxed differently. Ask the tax office to be sure. The main one on Zhonghua Rd (Beimen) in Taipei has English speakers who usually know what they’re talking about.

Btw, depending on who the family member is, you may be entitled to a labor insurance benefit. Also, if you haven’t terminated the contract yet, you may be able to take paid bereavement leave for up to 8 days (shorter for less “important” family members than parents) and unpaid personal leave for up to 14 days.

1 Like

I’ll be leaving Taiwan in early July of this year, and I’ll be very close to the 183 day mark for 2017, but probably will fall just under 183 days. I am on an JFRV, and I’ve been filing joint returns with my wife for more than the past decade.

My company that I work for knows I"m leaving, and has starting withholding taxes at the 18% rate this year instead of the lower rate as in the past. I have a few questions related to that.

Should I still file a joint return with my wife for the 2017 tax year? I was planning on doing that, anyway. Would I be entitled to any tax refund if the amount of taxes that have already been withheld for tax year 2017 exceeds the amount I owe?

The reason I ask is because I could maybe change my travel plans somehow if there is a strong enough financial reason to do so. Thanks for any clarification, and feel free to let me know if there is anything unclear.