Leaving Taiwan with alcohol in checked luggage?

Hi. Is it allowed to bring a bottle of two (whisky) in a checked luggage while taking a flight from Taiwan to Europe (transit in HK)?

Yes. Not everything is available in the duty free shops. I even brought Hello Kitty Taiwan Beer in my luggage! I usually hand carry this stuff, though.

Kavalan? Just curious.

Not so fast, bub.
The last time I flew to Canada, I grabbed a bottle of Kaoliang at Duty Free and when I changed planes in Vancouver they wouldn’t let me carry it on and, since the interval wasn’t enough to go back to the check in desk, I had to surrender it.
So either check it or try and find out the local rules for your connecting flights, if applicable.

Once again, the world is not the USA.

Bringing whisky in checked luggage should be allowed, but note that your allowance for bringing spirits into the EU undeclared is one litre in total.

Duty free can often be carried onto a connecting flight if it gets sealed in a tamper proof bag, but only if the intermediate airport has separate security arrangements for transit passengers (i.e. not at US airports).

1 Like

I hope you were at least able to drink some of it before handing it over. It would make the whole experience a lot more bearable in more ways than one, I would think.

You mean like this dame?

Sadly, no, and I was sooooooo pissed off, I said to the dude, So I guess you guys have something to look forward to after you knock off, huh?
And he doesn’t even deny it, FFS, just kind of shrugs and smiles a little.

Cocksuckers.

ETA: Actually I kind of hope they didn’t know what Kaoliang was and yakked all over their shoes upon discovering how frigging nasty it is

Thanks for the replies.
Last year when going back home for Xmas I tried to buy a bottle of taiwanese alcohol at the airport and it was refused to be carried in my hand luggage (luckily the shop saler told me so I didnt buy it). I was transiting in HK as well just like next month.
Thats why I will try to carry one in my checked in luggage this time.
@JustifiedAndAncient, indeed 1 litre max should be a good idea.

Yeah I’ve done the same thing twice. Bottle of Woodford Reserve bought in Chicago and was pretty shocked when they wanted to take it in Tokyo. Luckily I had time to go through immigration, get my bag, stash the booze, and check in again.

Then in a pre-vacation haze I did the same thing going to Thailand through Hong Kong. These big bottles of Jim Beam were just like calling to me. Realized my stupidity on the plane, but lo and behold they had been enclosed by the duty free in some special bags, and I passed through the security check without incident.

If you’re cornered like that, another option is to open the bottle and pour it down the drain. You don’t want them to become alcoholics now, do you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never seen a drain at the entrance to airport security.
Good point about the alcoholic thing though.
I’d hate to see them bastards at the meetings.

1 Like

Well, there’s a garbage bin, isn’t there? :slight_smile:

Uhhhh, yeah, OK, grandma, whatever you say…
http://replygif.net/i/101.gif

Oh I Dunno. Kaoliang gorw down prty well…hic.