Legalized prostitution zones in Taiwan

Taipei’s Mayor Ko Wen-je is open to the idea of a legalized prostitution zone in Wanhua if citizens approve.

Every other major city in Asia it’s legal and many cities in Europe and South America, Australia, and even some States in USA as well.

Stupid.

How come Gain? It certainly does seem to be tolerated there anyway.

Prostitution is legal in Taiwan. Street walking prostitution is already legal in Taiwan on streets that are 8 meters wide or more. It’s also already in Wenhua but it’s breaking law because not many streets there are over six metres wide. What they really need to do is move it off the streets and into regulated establishments. Like Germany or Nevada or Australia and most of Asia and other places.

So Ke-P is the first to consider a district where they would move it off the streets into authorized area to do it behind closed doors thus it would not be in public view.

I’m kind of tired of prostitutes always whispering in my ear when I walk to the area anyway.

I believe it is legal in Canada, too. Just cannot publicly negotiate a price. I guess. Never bothered.

How about Amsterdam style? For the window shoppers, and have them get health certificates.

Pot and prostitution, what’s the big deal?

1 Like

^The Dutch approach has been proven to be a complete disaster as it constantly puts unfortunate women (mostly Eastern Europe) under potential violent environment and high risk of STDs. The Swedish approach, aka banning it and fine/punish the purchasers, is the way to go.

The prostitution in Taiwan is a lawless field. Everything is in the grey area.

All I’ve seen in terms of real prostitution is, senior citizen customers and sex workers that look like they’ve been at it since the 70s or 80s. Old, used up, and gross in every sense of the word. I know there’s a younger crowd in this field but I’ve never seen them and don’t care to look.

I’d personally just like a couple nudie bars. Not even prostitution, just a place to grab some drinks and see some boobs with your friends after work. In terms of fully legal adult (or even just nighttime) entertainment, Taiwan is very lacking. I think it’s just a supply and demand issue, thinking of target customers most of them really are just old lonely men.

1 Like

Interestingly, prostitution is mostly illegal in Thailand (there’s a lot of ambiguity in the various related laws), the purpose of which, I assume, is to keep the bribes flowing.

“Every other major city in Asia it’s legal.”

That’s so not true.

3 Likes

My bad. It’s not legal all over Asia.

It’s not legal in most countries around the world.
The ones which legalized it are the minorities.

Iirc it’s legal if it’s done entirely in private, but as soon as they start soliciting, running houses of ill repute and so on, it’s illegal.

What law is that?

Yeah, it’s complicated. That’s why I said “mostly illegal.” Of course, that obviously doesn’t stop it from happening.

Are we living in the same Taipei? Even the parlors in the Combat Zone have gone into history.

In the ol country, prostitution has always been legal. However, streetwalking is also limited to certain districts, for “safety” reasons, both customers and providers.

Isn’t in the same in the Philippines? And sex toys are illegal, too. I think I read right at one time. Just for curiosities sake.

It is legal in Singapore under certain rules. They have a red light district and registered establishments have their ladies tested every 2 weeks to keep HIV/STDs under control, condoms must also be used. If you have an establishment you have security, so customers not wanting to use condoms can be dealt with, unlike the 60 year old hooker who took bare dicks because her customers refused condoms and has/spread HIV now. Great.

Regulation does certainly minimize risks to the industry so I don’t think it is stupid.

Stupid move on par with Mao eradicating sparrows in terms of logic. What is the objective behind this? Helping the prostitutes? It doesn’t. Part of prostitute’s monetary value is her somewhat rarity due to risk of being illegal. Opening up the gate means no more reward per risk taken, like Canadian prostitutes after legalization. Does it help then in terms of health and STD? You think a 60 year-old street walker barely surviving is going to take examination regularly and likely at her own expense? Most normal people do not enter into prostitution. If not destitute where they will not be able to afford proper care anyways, they are likely mentally deficient in certain ways such as addiction or personality disorder where they wouldn’t be responsible enough to prepare for the health risk of STD in the first place. Poorly designed measures exacerbates the problem, not to mention it is likely unenforceable in many places anyways.

That’s totally nonsense!!

Swedens capital Stockholm, is now known as the rape capital of the world, feminist politics made that happen.

Prostitution in the Netherlands is safe and regulated by the government.

Shaming prostitution is all about controlling men by using sex a tool.

We’ve been over this before. :roll:

The UNODC itself discourages any cross-national comparisons based on their reports, because of the differences that exist between legal definitions, methods of offense counting and crime reporting.[29] In 2013, of the 129 countries listed in the UNODC report, a total of 67 countries had no reported data on rape.[19][29] Some majority-Muslim countries missing data—for example Egypt—classifies rape as assault.[33][34] A crime survey funded by the UN and published in The Lancet Global Health concluded that almost a quarter of all men admit to rape in parts of Asia.[35][36] Some of the countries with the highest percentage of men admitting rape in that study, China and Bangladesh for instance, are also not listed or have relatively low numbers of reported rape in the UNODC report.[29]

1 Like

It’s not safe, and I’m not shaming prostitution. Just ask yourself how you’d react if your daughter told you that she’s decided to prostitute herself.

While the rape rate in Sweden has increased over the last ten years, it’s not the rape capital of the world.