Legalized prostitution zones in Taiwan

My lot? Who are they? (Serious question.)

Of course your position is that there are two sides. You said it very clearly. (Don’t make me dig up the relevant posts…)

I’m saying there are more than two sides to the story that is the state of the world today. In fact, there are more than two sides to almost any story.

Imagine a country where mainstream discourse is reduced to A vs. B. The A’s have the government. The B’s go out into the street to protest. The A’s go out into the street to counter-protest. The protests get so big that the economy suffers. Neither side is willing to compromise.

What’s the solution?

A: We need more A’s!
B: We need more B’s!

If one side wipes out the other, obviously that removes the immediate problem, i.e. the impasse. However, it creates a set of new problems – vengeful widows, orphans, a general s***hole reputation for the country, and so on – and whatever problems the other side was upset about before they got wiped out will still be there, probably to an even greater extent.

But there’s always a C waiting in the wings, and if A and B spend all their energy opposing each other, we should not be the least bit surprised when C rushes in and fills the power vacuum.

Maybe B wanted that to happen, since it couldn’t figure out another way to get rid of A. But fast forward a bit, and we shouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see C doing its own thing, not B’s thing.

Maybe C wanted A and B to create the opportunity for its coup. Maybe not. Either way, C is the winner.

How does your cunning “we all need to support the racists because otherwise the anti-racists will murder us in our sleep” plan deal with this phenomenon?