Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

Yup they offered me the same but I didn’t want two years contract because I go home yearly for a few months and hate paying the cancellation fee.

I ended up arguing with YaTai telecom and they hooked me up eventually with a 1 year 4g unlimited plan for $249 a month. The speed is limited to 21mbps. Their network is not as good but works well for me so far.

Hey! Sitting at a desk all day is hard work, and it doesn’t prepare me properly for my “death cage” match with the agongs and amas.

Actually my ass is sore too.

In theory, APRC holders may have pension, like, paid in installments instead of a single bulk payment. However, i am not holding my breath as I haven’t figured out since when are we supposed to be paying in order to qualify and other pesky details.

Anyway, it is after 65 years old. That is a bit far…

And there’s no way I’m gonna work till I’m 65… IIRC, the average retirement age here is something like 58.

65 and they want to raise to 67. It is 67 in the ol country.

With 25 years in the same place, you get 100% benefits.

Just to let you know, if you die while working your spouse gets LESS money than if you do kick it after retirement. I don’t get it.

It looks like a lot of people aren’t getting their full benefits then. I wonder what proportion of the people who retire at 58 do so willingly.

Most people I know do not retire willingly. The loss in income is dramatic. A good friend’s mom has “retired” 3 times. Goes back to work to make ends meet. One acquaintance worked as a head accountant for one of the biggest corportaions in Taiwan. Forced to retire, very depressed about income, takes private cases to add to family income. I know a nationalized furriner who worked ina local airline. After retierment, complements income selling food in a day market. Like those, I know many cases. Unless you are government people, pension is not enough.

Pension isn’t enough in many countries anymore.

1 Like

Problem in Taiwan is the disparity. The wealth gap in privilege due to pedigree is a festering infection that can destroy the fabric of society faster than anything else.

The “new system” for permanent residents is coming. They just haven’t set a date yet afaik.

Hmmm…do you live in Taipei? Does it mean that much to you? You could try the annoying whiney “It’s not fair, my wife and family can, how come I can’t. It’s not fair”.
Visit the director and other officials often but politely.
It worked for me for minor things like coo cards and memberships.
Seriously, this is rollback of rights
Mr Hartzel DID go to many of these agencies and places to earn us these rights. We need an official negotiator to argue again for us.

AFAIK, the rules are:

• 25 years with the same company, any age, full benefits.

• 15 years with the same company, 55 yo, full benefits.

• 10 years with the same company, 65 yo, full benefits.

Well, I have been told it is 25 plus 65. 25 gives you the right to a pension, you can retire, but I have been told it is not all the money unless you are 65 years old. Which does not make sense but nothing does here. I know many people fired at 23 years in the same job.

I think they changed the 25 in the same job, you can carry your contributions, as per the newest regulation. But I am not sure those amendments are already in place.

Can’t Excactly remember which but some job search websites don’t accept ARC numbers…

I was the also the one who wrote to the NPM director and started that other thread a couple years ago. Now there is a new administration in place we could try making the same request to. I can’t seem to locate the current director’s contact details. Perhaps we could leverage the couple at-large legislators who spearheaded the recent law on foreign professionals to advocate for this change.

It took only one Taipei city councilor’s well timed complaint to get the Taipei Metro to put English second and not last on all MRT announcements.

It happens all the time, very very few get to claim the so called 25 years private pension. Its BS in reality.

The newer public labour insurance scheme will pay out at at mandatory pensionable age, 65 or 67. I think the average will be around 20k a month .

N̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶, sorry for being impolite. I’ll say “yes, maybe you will” instead. Which means “no you will not”.

Cheezy asian smile

We really have to get a leader to reclaim our “rights”. Things were a lot worse if you look at the old “Foreign Spouses Support Group” manual. It was a HUGE book of typed pages and photocopies inside a minella (I hope I spelled that right) cover.

Harztel or his predecessor mailed us that heavy book with a box of other legal stuff. I wish I still had it.
Anyway, about the time my first child was born and for a long time after that things got better. Now, it looks like its on the slide after Hartzel dropped out. He was the legal moderator here.
He managed great negotiations with the labor and motor vehicle departments and legislature.

I’d volunteer but it is beyond my abilities. I’m great at annoying businesses but I don’t have the language skills. Perhaps the businesses just let me have the privilege so I could go away. Just joking.

Seriously gnaij, we need to reform this organization or have something added as a subgroup of Forumosa.
Hartzel’s main argument was to make Taiwan hospitable to Foreign

Spouses who raised their family here. Foreign Talent and other foreigners came second.
I’m really upset that the government is putting foreigner talent ahead of those of us who decided to stay here and raise a family. As a stay at home dad who worked part time I am the one who has to leave work and pick up the sick kid or take a kid to the doctor’s office and other duties. We are just as important to the family as the worker.

4 Likes

Does anyone have the original Foreign Support Network Printed Material. It also had a pretty big web presence but honestly I can’t find any trace now.

There were horror stories of children of foreign fathers being ejected. There were stories of foreign spouses having all kinds of difficulty. There was even a human rights appeal.
I believe the internet Archive was around so there may be some hope of recovering the information if we knew where to search.
I believe Hartzell is still in Taiwan. We need someone who is willing to organize talk to him and get all the notes and relative information.

Really, any person who has Taiwan citizens in the family should or must be given local rights. We have homes. We pay taxes. We don’t get special raises to cover our “extra foreigner” expense. Our expense will cost our family who are Taiwanese. That’s my real thought but I know it’s far from “diplomatic”. We need someone who can express these thought in a better way.