Life on the MRT 2017

Depends. Maybe it’s a policy to increase the birthrate?

1 Like

This morning the MRT stopped for a long time, maybe 3 minutes or longer at Daan station. Everyone is looking around wondering what is happening.

I’m sitting in the first car, and a driver with his bag looking rushed runs into the driving area, the doors close, and we’re off.

That’s a first for me. I guess it could be anything, but makes me wondern what happens if a driver it’s late and if they get penalized for being late and holding up the train.

Maybe he just had a sudden bout of explosive diarrhea. Shit happens, as they say.

2 Likes

This happens regularly on the airport MRT. If you’re in the first car going outbound, you’ll see that a driver always boards the train when the train stops at New Taipei Industrial Park, replacing the original driver. It’s as if the train stops expressly to let them swap posts. Very puzzling as the original driver only drives one stop (starting out from Taipei Main).

Interesting that they only announce in Chinese please don’t run when transferring (請勿奔跑), but nothing in the English, just “transfer station.” I guess foreigners don’t run.

https://tw.video.appledaily.com/new/20171122/1245364/

As of November 25, 2017 (this upcoming weekend), bikes will not be able to alight or exit at Zhong Shan MRT and Zhong Xiao Xinshen MRT stations.

Does not bode well for those that live on the green line and want to switch trains to get to Danshui on the red line.

Change at Dictator Hall?

Guy

I swear there are days when the mrt seems like the clown car at the circus.

1 Like

Maybe the cold weather has gotten some scooter commuters taking the MRT.

Tokyo flashbacks I call it. All we need are the white gloves on volunteers.

1 Like

I thought they were staff! (I mean the ones in Tokyo.)

@Icon just wants a tall, dark and handsome Japanese man…wearing white gloves to shove her around.

2 Likes

Which line? Provide details!

Guy

Various stations on the green, red and blue lines. usually around Taipei Main Station, Ximen, beimen, zhongshan. That area.

Sometimes you’ll be waiting for the people to exit the train and they keep coming until the exit buzzer for closing the doors sounds. I’m thinking, where the h— are they coming from? It’s like a clown car.

I’ll say it again: they should add lines in the urban core, basically parallel to the existing ones. Every time they extend the network outwards and/or discourage people from using surface transport, it adds more pressure on the center, and the high quality won’t last if it keeps up like that. :2cents:

I think they should charge the school kids more (bah humbug :slight_smile:).

Its getting busier and busier, some days I deliberately avoid peak time don’t feel like the sardine experience.

They kind of do I think, for instance some red line services don’t run all the way to 101 and stops at Da’an before turning back I assume in order to have more frequent services for the core.

1 Like

That’s not quite what I mean. Outside the central section of the red line you just get less frequent service.

What I mean is adding relief lines between the existing ones, both E-W and N-S, with interchanges where appropriate.

If they really want to stick to the existing corridors they can dig deeper and add express lines, like Beijing said it was going to a few years ago.

(I don’t see any up to date information about it in Chinese, so maybe they’ve canceled it.)

Fantasy vs reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ

1 Like

Taipei isn’t there yet, but it’s getting close on some days.

1 Like