Life on the MRT

I’m guilty of being caught out by songjiang Nanjing a couple of times. Then you have to hike under the line and then come
Up the other side. The station itself is massive, maybe they
Thought it would have more demand than it did.
Mentioned it before but some of the stations out to Xindian heaving these days, fortunately finally getting the gates installed.
The system will start to suffer from its grest success in increasing ridership, some
Riders may switch back to buses on some routes, buses being pretty darn good in Taipei![/quote]

I fear Tapinglin will become another Zhongshiao Hsinsheng after they open the new Circle Line -supposedly by the end of this year, as per last signs seen at the construction site.

And as to getting heavier and heavier traffic, oh boy, we are in for a debacle. Thank goodness, HHII, you live a bit further down the line. My daily commute at peak hours evokes sardine and Tokyo references.

That reminds me of when we were kids (back around the time they invented the wheel), my brother and I used to sneak under the turnstiles (fare was 15 cents back then) and spend an entire day exploring the NYC subway system using all the different transfer points to cover the different lines.

Well, there goes my cheap cool ride to impress newbies and tourists:

[quote]Taipei, Dec. 3 (CNA) The Taipei City government is planning to raise the fare of the Maokong Gondola to cover its operating losses, an official said Thursday.

This year, the ridership of the Maokong Gondola reached 2.66 million, with more than 60 percent of the passengers being foreigners or non-Taipei residents, said Chung Hui-yu (鍾慧諭), head of the city’s Department of Transportation, during a hearing of the Taipei City Council.

At present, the Maokong Gondola suffers losses of NT$100 million per year, Chung said.

According to a plan presented by Chung to the city council, the fare for average passengers would be increased from NT$50 at present to NT$150 for a one-way trip (three stops).
[/quote]

But to be honest, 150 NTD is still quite reasonable, and will be cheaper with an EasyCard. And Ko’s bit here is interesting:

[quote]Asked about the issue, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said the city government is indeed planning to raise the fares of the Maokong Gondola, but how the new fares should be set should be considered together with a project to revitalize Maokong, the Maokong Gondola and the Taipei Zoo to boost tourism.

He said the project will only be finalized in February 2016.
[/quote]

Speaking of February 2016, my neighborhood got pamphlets form the MRT corporation. The dig for the Circular Line will go on its final stretch from December 2015 to February 2016, so I’d dare to say the end is near … but also water and power cuts, as they warned us they will work closer to the surface. Just don’t touch my Internet and we’re cool.

[quote=“Icon”]Well, there goes my cheap cool ride to impress newbies and tourists:

[quote]Taipei, Dec. 3 (CNA) The Taipei City government is planning to raise the fare of the Maokong Gondola to cover its operating losses, an official said Thursday.

This year, the ridership of the Maokong Gondola reached 2.66 million, with more than 60 percent of the passengers being foreigners or non-Taipei residents, said Chung Hui-yu (鍾慧諭), head of the city’s Department of Transportation, during a hearing of the Taipei City Council.

At present, the Maokong Gondola suffers losses of NT$100 million per year, Chung said.

According to a plan presented by Chung to the city council, the fare for average passengers would be increased from NT$50 at present to NT$150 for a one-way trip (three stops).
[/quote]

But to be honest, 150 NTD is still quite reasonable, and will be cheaper with an EasyCard. And Ko’s bit here is interesting:

[quote]Asked about the issue, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said the city government is indeed planning to raise the fares of the Maokong Gondola, but how the new fares should be set should be considered together with a project to revitalize Maokong, the Maokong Gondola and the Taipei Zoo to boost tourism.

He said the project will only be finalized in February 2016.
[/quote]

Speaking of February 2016, my neighborhood got pamphlets form the MRT corporation. The dig for the Circular Line will go on its final stretch from December 2015 to February 2016, so I’d dare to say the end is near … but also water and power cuts, as they warned us they will work closer to the surface. Just don’t touch my Internet and we’re cool.[/quote]

tbh, 150NT is a high percentage hike, but at the same time, 150NT is really not that bad. I haven’t gone up the gondola yet, but the price hike won’t stop me from going.

As for the circle line, what are the stations that will be changed to transfer stations? I haven’t heard too much about it via local news (or maybe just missed it).

I guess they try to avoid talking about the lines unless they are about to open, due to the delays and problems -this one evicted a lot of old people -veterans and poor- from the next station site for instance, avoiding where miraculously someone had the foresight of building a 4 star hotel which is filled with tour buses of Mainlanders and such, who have to walk 20 minutes to the nearest station/bus stop as the thing is in the middle of nowhere, but that is not of my business/suspicious at all…

Anyways, as per the forecasted map:

Tapinglin, Yingan, Taipei Zoo and Banqiao will become transfer stations, in the existing lines. There will be more if the adjoining lines open.

The other one I am breathlessly awaiting is the Ankeng line.

Telling from the progress on the streets the next to open are probably Taoyuan airport and part of the light orange line. Construction is way under way between Dapingling and Banqiao. Interesting how the line snakes its way over the river between Dapinglin and Shisizhang. You can see the construction from Xiulang Bridge.

So do those who live outside of Taipei / New Taipei look at that map and feel incandescent rage? Or just a mild annoyance?

Tian Long Guo…and the rest.

Saw them testing a 4-car train at the Taoyuan (Zhongli) HSR station last week.

It’s amazing how the MRT system is still in huge debt (or at least the last time I checked it was) and they can still project to expand this much!

The day that Minsheng Community residents will allow an MRT to go through there and have to dig up all those beautiful trees on Minsheng, is the day that hell freezes over.

I think most of us that have traveled to or lived in Minsheng Community can agree that having an MRT line there would be super convenient for those residing and those visiting the area from other parts of the city. Residents of Minsheng community no longer have to rely on bus and connect to MRT. However, I don’t think it’ll ever happen.

Looks like the Tian Long Guo of Tian Long Guo, will be getting an MRT too. Take a wild guess as to where I’m referencing :wink:

Who gives a monkey’s about them loosers anyway? :unamused:

Who gives a monkey’s about them loosers anyway? :unamused:[/quote]

Tighters are more important anyway!

[quote=“ranlee”]It’s amazing how the MRT system is still in huge debt (or at least the last time I checked it was) and they can still project to expand this much!

[/quote]

I wouldn’t think the MRT is in debt. It’s pretty crowded. I would think they get enough income to offset the operating costs.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“ranlee”]It’s amazing how the MRT system is still in huge debt (or at least the last time I checked it was) and they can still project to expand this much!

[/quote]

I wouldn’t think the MRT is in debt. It’s pretty crowded. I would think they get enough income to offset the operating costs.[/quote]

It’s long been profitable. Somewhere close to NT$1 billion per year before tax IIRC.

Only because they shift the capital cost off somewhere else Im sure.

Sure enough Taipei city government covers a lot or all of this capital and debt financing cost.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003550048
english.dof.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xI … &mp=103002

Infrastructure projects should only rarely be seen as a commercial proposition in and by itself.

If they think they can get their money back from fares only, they are wrong, and that should not be the point.

citylab.com/commute/2012/09/ … bust/3207/

Yep , they pay back their investment in terms of quality of life and reducing congestion.

[quote=“ranlee”]It’s amazing how the MRT system is still in huge debt (or at least the last time I checked it was) and they can still project to expand this much!

The day that Minsheng Community residents will allow an MRT to go through there and have to dig up all those beautiful trees on Minsheng, is the day that hell freezes over.

I think most of us that have traveled to or lived in Minsheng Community can agree that having an MRT line there would be super convenient for those residing and those visiting the area from other parts of the city. Residents of Minsheng community no longer have to rely on bus and connect to MRT. However, I don’t think it’ll ever happen.

Looks like the Tian Long Guo of Tian Long Guo, will be getting an MRT too. Take a wild guess as to where I’m referencing :wink:[/quote]

Regarding the debt, maybe you are thinking the HSR? That one has been in deep trouble for a while.

Did you guys catch major Ko`s statement that if the HSR had been built 5kms to the side, there wouldn’t be the need for a separate airport line? Could corruption here be so myopic? Gee…

Ke is an idiot, the airport MRT line is not only for the airport!

I know, but if he is right, ww could have had the airport option 15 years ago…