List of Vegetarian Restaurants

Looks pretty good, will definitely have to check it out. Thanks, I like hearing about these kinds of places.

You should try the place on Mingde Road a few stores down towards the subway from the turn where the hospital is. Cheap simple vegetarian fare.

Vegetarian dim sum heaven near Songjiang Nanjing | Yang Shin Vegetarian Restaurant

Diverse menu includes small dim sum plates as well as a huge selection of noodles, fried rice, vegetable dishes, soups, and desserts. Excellent food, prepared with careful attention to flavour, texture, and presentation – just don’t expect to get full for under NT$300. Clean and comfortable dining room. Service is efficient, polite, and fairly formal. Super convenient – located directly above an MRT exit, Yang Shin also offers a downloadable menu and online reservations via their Facebook page.

Full article: dinner.tw/en/yang-shin-vegetaria … um-taipei/

1 Like

Carefully Addictive Vegetarian Spicy Hot Pot

Good variety of hot pot ingredients, quality dishes, reasonable price, low-key atmosphere, and friendly servers. This moderate splurge is a place you’ll keep going back to! My only complaint is that the soup, while tasty, is really not spicy enough for true spice addicts like me. Normal people should be satisfied with the spice level, though.

Full article: dinner.tw/en/carefully-addictive … y-hot-pot/

QiLin Vegetarian Restaurant

Utterly no-frills, fill-your-belly-and-go Buddhist vegetarian buffet. QiLin sells fuel, not entertainment. Various stir-fried veggie and tofu dishes are tasty enough, but invariably room-temperature and often quite greasy. There are plenty of options, so you can get a good meal if you choose carefully, and for all-you-can-eat, this is as cheap as it gets. Convenient location in a very central (and expensive!) area between Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall and City Hall MRT Station. Dining area is quiet, clean and simple. No air conditioning – best to avoid this place on a hot day.

dinner.tw/en/qilin-all-you-can-e … yi-taipei/

Vegetarian Tomato-Broth Beef Noodles

Really good, authentic Taiwanese comfort food, cooked with love and attention to flavour and texture – as well as compassion for animals! Spot-on menu boasts high-quality dishes at low-range prices, with just the right number of items – enough to provide well-rounded variety, but not so many that you’re overwhelmed with dozens of choices. Chinese only – no English menu. Simple dining area is clean and pleasant. Convenient location at the base of Elephant Mountain is perfect for a post-hike refuel! Service is friendly, if a little minimalist – I don’t think the boss said more than five words during our meal. I’ll definitely be coming back to sample more of their excellent noodles!

dinner.tw/en/vegetarian-tomato-b … les-xinyi/

Vita Bella Creative Veg Restaurant

My favourite veg restaurant in Taiwan so far. Awesome food is both healthy and flavourful, with plenty of fresh veg to lighten up your hearty handmade noodles. The cooks also strike a good balance between tradition and innovation, incorporating a little international flavour without veering off into gratuitous novelty. Mostly-vegan menu has only two or three non-vegan options – just ask the staff if you’re not sure, they’re very friendly and accommodating! Convenient location, pleasant dining area (with bonus points for ample reading material and outdoor seating!), and outrageously low prices to boot. This place is a gem. Their stinky tofu is a must-try!

dinner.tw/en/vita-bella-creative … an-taipei/

Cool Sila Vegetarian Pizza

This is a small, specialized shop with a limited selection of items. It’s basically a glorified street stall, so amenities are minimal – no washrooms, no a/c, and only open-air bar seats – but it’s spotlessly clean, and the relaxed burger-shack atmosphere is pleasant. Pizzas are fresh, light and tasty, and about the standard price point for Taipei. The pepper buns are a steal, though – both in terms of quality and quantity. Lacto-vegetarian, vegan-friendly. Chinese menu only. Location is pleasant and quiet, but a little off the beaten path, about a 20-minute walk from the nearest MRT station.

dinner.tw/en/cool-sila-vegetarian-pizza-xinyi/

I made it to here last time I was in Taipei, thought it was pretty good though I’d stop short of awesome. I’d need more visits. Had a nice coffee w. muffin across the alley (Swinging the Cat Coffee Shop or something).

When are you going to review Ooh Cha Cha ? http://www.oohchacha.com/

[quote=“Nuit”]
I made it to here last time I was in Taipei, thought it was pretty good though I’d stop short of awesome. I’d need more visits. Had a nice coffee w. muffin across the alley (Swinging the Cat Coffee Shop or something).

When are you going to review Ooh Cha Cha ? http://www.oohchacha.com/[/quote]

Hello, thanks for your suggestion. Had forwarded this to the author… :thumbsup:

Upscale vegetarian dining | Easy House Vegetarian Cuisine

The high prices aren’t worth it for the food alone – you’re paying for a total experience that includes beautiful interior decoration, premium location, rigorous quality control and attentive service. This is a good place to treat yourself or have an upscale business lunch. Food is beautiful and subtle, with an ingredients-focused rather than seasoning-focused approach – don’t expect flavour-bomb Sichuan sauces and fiery curries here. There is an attempt at an English menu, but it takes a little work to understand. This is a franchise with over a dozen locations across Taiwan, including five in Taipei. I’ve eaten at two locations and found them very consistent.

dinner.tw/en/easy-house-gourmet-vegetarian/

A quick, cheap and tasty vegetarian snack in Xinyi | Qian Xi Vegetarian Buns

Simple, specialized product; limited selection; 90% vegan; high quality, great value, and relatively healthy; convenient location and hours; and super friendly service. This is just a little stall to buy a quick snack to go, so ambiance (or lack thereof) is irrelevant. The buns here are quite Taiwanese-tasting, sweeter and less spicy than Chinese-style buns. This place sells buns only – you won’t find beverages, sandwiches, or even a dish of hot sauce here. Also, quantities are limited, and production schedule is irregular – you may not find what you came for, but everything tastes good, so you can always try something else if the item you wanted is sold out already.

dinner.tw/en/taipei-xinyi-snack-vegetarian-buns/

[quote=“dinnertw”]A quick, cheap and tasty vegetarian snack in Xinyi | Qian Xi Vegetarian Buns

Simple, specialized product; limited selection; 90% vegan; high quality, great value, and relatively healthy; convenient location and hours; and super friendly service. This is just a little stall to buy a quick snack to go, so ambiance (or lack thereof) is irrelevant. The buns here are quite Taiwanese-tasting, sweeter and less spicy than Chinese-style buns. This place sells buns only – you won’t find beverages, sandwiches, or even a dish of hot sauce here. Also, quantities are limited, and production schedule is irregular – you may not find what you came for, but everything tastes good, so you can always try something else if the item you wanted is sold out already.

dinner.tw/en/taipei-xinyi-snack-vegetarian-buns/[/quote]

Those aren’t buns, they’re mantou and baozi. :cactus:

Mei Xi Wu Vegetarian Japanese Restaurant

This restaurant has earned a bad reputation among the locals, but my own experience was fine. The sushi rolls and oden were quite tasty, although somewhat overpriced. Claims to be a Japanese restaurant, but it’s really straight-up Taiwanese food. Ovo-lacto vegetarian, vegan-friendly; most items can be specially ordered with non-vegan ingredients omitted. Service is adequate – not especially friendly, but not hostile or dishonest as other customers have complained. Great location in the centre of a popular night market, a ten-minute walk from Dingxi MRT station. Offers a small seating area which is clean, tidy, and equipped with self-serve condiments. Overall, it’s a unique place worth visiting.

dinner.tw/en/vegetarian-sushi-le … ht-market/

Old-school Taiwanese vegetarian comfort food next to Shuanglian MRT Station | Shuanglian Vegetarian Snacks

This restaurant won’t impress you, but it will fill your belly and make you feel at home. Good food, friendly prices, warm service. Authentic Taiwanese dishes are simple and affordable, but also tasty and well-made – not greasy or cheap-tasting. The menu is small and focused and very, very local – Chinese only, no English. The location and hours make this place ultra-convenient – it’s just steps from Shuanglian MRT Station and doesn’t close between lunch and dinner. Tiny space is more suitable for a quick meal on the go.

dinner.tw/en/shuanglian-vegetari … ks-taipei/

Vegetarian Japanese-style udon noodles, made fresh to order | Hoshina Handmade Udon

The food is fresh, light, and well-presented, but stops short of “special”. Appetizers are very good, but they lose points for lame soup base. For the price (and the hype), I expected more flavourful soups and more distinctive noodles. Still, Hoshina is worth a visit for its decent vegetarian food and charming atmosphere. Service is good, locations are convenient, and it’s overall a positive experience – just not a “wow!” experience.

dinner.tw/en/hoshina-vegetarian-japanese-udon/

Meet your new favourite vegetarian hole-in-the-wall| Vegetarian House

A real gem! Convenient location, open all day, friendly prices, efficient service, English menu, and good, simple Taiwanese food. The cook uses nice, fresh ingredients with lots of flavour and minimal oil; not everything will “wow” you, but there are some true standout dishes here (such as the Chinese toon noodles, the veggie-loaded soups, and the spicy Sichuan-style wontons). In terms of value for money, Xinyi District doesn’t get much better than this! Vegetarian House is now my top go-to spot for healthy, tasty, and affordable meals on the go.

dinner.tw/en/xinyi-vegetarian-house/

Kapok Coffee and Bakery

I really liked this place! You can loose yourself in the endless options here – everything from pasta, risotto and congee to fresh-baked breads, cakes, cookies and pastries. The space is big and bright, the atmosphere is very homey and comfortable, the location is just a block or two from the MRT, service is efficient and friendly, prices are reasonable, hours are convenient (open from breakfast through dinner), and portions are generous. They also have a Chinese-English menu. Although there are really too many things to choose from, the menu is well-organized, and you’re guaranteed to find something for everyone. The baked goods are nice – huge variety, plenty of vegan options, but definitely stronger on the Taiwan-style breads and cakes than on the European-style ones. I don’t think I spotted a single crunchy crust in the place – it’s all soft and cakey, as per local tastes. You can get a lot of familiar favourites here, as well as some rare finds like vegetarian meat pies and curry-flavoured sponge cake.

dinner.tw/en/kapok-vegetarian-bakery/

[quote=“dinnertw”]…and curry-flavoured sponge cake.

dinner.tw/en/kapok-vegetarian-bakery/[/quote]

Wow. I hope that tastes better than it sounds.

Wow, how’d I miss this thread !

A bump because 8 years later many have come and gone. Any good ones in your areas? There are always LOADS of options for vegetarians here, but many are either taiwnaese Buddhist oriented or the buffet styles which tend to be pretty greasy.

how about some updated ones that dont follow the religious line?

a couple of my favorites are:

Pingtung city: Tables

Taipei city: Plants

had a few great ones in kaohsiung but they have gone out of business :frowning:

looking for suggestions!

1 Like