Lobbying legislators to pass amendments streamlining the Immigration Act

No Change. A Polish guy who could not renounce did it the year before like this and so have others.

What grey area? It is the law if you can show you cannot renounce you can get ROC ID. Of course for a Ukrainian having a Taiwan passport is much better for traveling on. She is fortunate she can keep both but she would renounce if she could.

I’m not going to give up my US citizenship under any circumstances. We should petition to the US government to refuse renunciation for Taiwan as it’s not in the U.N and not recognized by the USA.

Unlike some other countries, the USA allows you to renounce, even if the act would leave you stateless (as would be the case in the case of applicants for ROC citizenship, unless they change the law like they’ve been talking about doing). So whether Taiwan counts as a real country or not doesn’t matter.

What grey area? It is the law if you can show you cannot renounce you can get ROC ID. Of course for a Ukrainian having a Taiwan passport is much better for traveling on. She is fortunate she can keep both but she would renounce if she could.

I’m not going to give up my US citizenship under any circumstances. We should petition to the US government to refuse renunciation for Taiwan as it’s not in the U.N and not recognized by the USA.[/quote]

Please read my whole statement. I do believe in general that Taiwanese Law, in particular, contracts, are written with plenty of room to wiggle. Wait until you get the short end, and you’ll see what I mean!

In thsi case, the law says you have to renounce. There is also a provisioon -PENDING APPROVAL of the authorities- that if you show you cannot renounce but are willing, you MAY still be granted ROC nationality, as they accept that at least you tried. Most cases, there is no problem. However, it does give the authorities the option of saying “no”.

Hence, my criticism of the whole “publicity” that they are being extra benevolent and helpful. Yes, it is their prerogative to accept or deny thsi “favor”. But it is not as if they are bending the rules or writing new ones just for her.

As to the double, triple nationalities some Taiwanese enjoy, don’t get me started… As to the US, just petition the to be extra tight with those Taiwanese-IUS citizens’ taxes. That’ll be fun to watch.

So, I’m guessing this did not pass because I just got a job but still had to make 10 trips to government agencies 1) notarization of diploma 2) pickup notarized diploma 3) apply work permit (employer did this) 4) pickup work permit (from employer) 5) get resident visa (which was actually a visitor visa) 6) pickup resident/visitor visa 7) apply for ARC 8) pickup ARC…plus a couple more trips because people told me the wrong information and I had to get the right documents…took me 3 months, especially since diploma notarization had to be mailed overseas…

The getting a visitor visa at BOCA and then going to NIA to get the ARC (along with getting the resident visa) is especially BS. Not only did the two visas cost quite a bit (~$9000NT), it’s obvious the NIA can contact BOCA to get visas on our behalf…why doesn’t the NIA help us also get the visitor visa too (if both visas are absolutely necessary to even begin with…)

Yeah, this involved and pricey process sucks. But you did it! View this as training to steel yourself, keep your eye on the ball, and work toward your objectives.

In the meantime, welcome and good luck settling in!

Guy