Locked up in China for FB posts.

Interesting story about somebody stopped at the airport in China and locked up for 10 days. Careful what you post!

Woah. The guy wasn’t even visiting China, he was just transiting through a Chinese airport and they arrested him in the airport, he hadn’t even entered China. It’s not even safe to transit through China anymore.

He was stopped at Beijing Airport while catching a connecting flight back to the UK after a family holiday in the Philippines, the Hull Daily Mail reports.

Yeah, but apparently lived there before. His wife looks eastern.

“Mr Silby, who used to work as a university teacher in China…”

Still crazy that they caught him just in transit. And a short layover too!

The bastards! Cruel and inhuman treatment, indeed.

You know what though: spilling your guts on facebook is definitely not a good idea if you don’t want brownshirted thugs spilling your guts. I deleted my account years ago and don’t have much of an online presence, except here. The number of thin-skinned people in the world is increasing, as is the number of ways to offend them.

it does kinda make me laugh how countries that are a bit crap attempt to prove to the rest of the world that they’re not crap by giving selected individuals a personal demonstration of exactly how crap they are, and then sending them back home to tell everyone about it.

3 Likes

Sounds unbelievable, and he mentions a computer being broken, so did a google search, searching for something other than UK media and these two came up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aznidentity/comments/62ym1y/duplicitous_nature_of_the_western_msm/

Airport police told The Times that he arrived late for his Air China flight to London, was prevented from boarding, grew angry and then wrecked the airline computer at the boarding gate. Police decided to detain him for ten days for “damaging public goods”.

Maybe they have some video footage that could clear it up.

4 Likes

same story?

I was actually thinking the same thing. The air-rage seems more realistic.

1 Like

Indeed, especially given I dont think the customs agents are some super sleuths going though online postings by some nobody transiting in Beijing. I might be wrong, but I’d have my money on a temper tantrum by a Brit missing his connecting flight.

wasn’t the whole point that the guards would make you miss the flight to give you the air rage( or perceived air rage) though?

its hard to say what really happened without video, but even though it seems far fetched, this sort of thing is in no way below the ccp.

the guy lived in china before too. he would know the consequences of kicking off in an airport or public place.

That’s the question eh? Deliberately being made to miss a flight would tend to cause rage. Then again, one might seek to spin a story to explain an enforced 10 day absence. The jury is still out I suppose.