Looking for Host Family

I’m looking for a host family in Taiwan, be it Taibei, Taizhong or Gaoxiong.

My only requirement is that the family speaks decent standard Chinese and spends at least one hour a day to speak with me. If they have a child, I can train him/her in English if needed, kind of like an Au Pair.

Budget would be around NTD 10,000 a month.

There is a thriving Au Pair / host family market in the Mainland, but it’s pretty mucn nonexistent in Taiwan, at least I haven’t found any clues.

If anyone knows a family that might fit the bill, PLEASE, let me know so that we can get into contact. I’d like to stay for 6 months (3 months also acceptable).

See, in Taiwan, you just rent a room, and you will probably be asked to teach the kid English. Other than that, except in unusual cases, everyone will speak Mandarin with you. Maybe not for an hour straight, but they aren’t going to bother with English if you have reasonable Mandarin. I don’t think this sort of arrangement would be very difficult to find “on the ground” after you’'re in Taiwan.

I have trouble sharing your sentiment. I have chatted up several friends and none of them knew of any family that would rent out a room.

If you look on the usual suspect websites like rent591 you can find rooms/apartments, but none of them with a family. Can you point me to a website or forum where I could look?

I am looking for people to rent rooms in my nice apartment.

airbnb.com/rooms/5110568
airbnb.com/rooms/6416499

(I am fluent in Chinese with good pronunciation and don’t mind restricting communication to that language, but I am not Taiwanese.)

Check this thread:

[url]Where to study Chinese in Taiwan?

Here is a housing platform where you can find many host families or regular housing.

For your purposes of Au Pair like scheme, those host families are very willing to do language exchange without charging you any pennies.

If you don’t find any suitable host families, you can also write down a stay wish to let potential host families or landlords find you: https://www.immerstay.com/housing-in-taiwan.php

Good Luck!