Lost and Losing Interest

Thank you everyone. Your advice was appreciated, helpful, and heartening. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to do anything outside the cram school/teaching world. For the past 6 years, I was told by others who did not know better, that teaching was all foreigners (read: westerners) could do, due to employment laws of the ROC.

https://youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0

4 Likes

Message aside, that is, by far, the funniest thing I saw today. Thank you.

Time to renew my certifications!

1 Like

you didn’t seem to have much of a plan to be honest. teaching here isn’t some doss job and you need some planning to find a good job. you are not going to just fall into a decent one, if you just wash up on the shore and sign up for hess then yes it won’t be an easy ride. this is well documented, if you are not happy with being a hess slave then you should do some research.

and i’m not sure how old you are but china is a pretty fun place to be young and wing it, i went there at 25 and had an amazing time.

1 Like

Well start complaining, it might help. I feel the same sometimes and complaing to other people helps in my case. Or watch Friends.

Idk why people would think being in a relationship would solve depression, that sounds like the worst possible idea to me.

2 Likes

Yeah, relationships complicate matters at times. I think a good listener is the answer to the OP’s situation.

1 Like

Being in a relationship is the “worst possible idea” for solving depression? Sorry you’ve had such crappy relationships, but most people like stuff like companionship, intimacy, support and not being lonely.

greenocelot, you asked for opinions, this is mine, buckle up and put your back into some work. It doesn’t matter to much where, you are a newbie and are going to be treated as such, put in a bit of work and perhaps you might have some cards to play like experience. Hard to get leverage you need while you sit out doing what you would need for said leverage.

2 Likes

I think professional help would be advised. As in professional listener as the OP lays on the couch of psychotherapy.

1 Like

Basically what Mick said. It’s a bit entitled to come here with no real qualifications or experience and expect your dream job. You should’ve kept the Hess gig. Don’t make rash decisions without thinking them through in the future.

Anyway, the good thing is it’s not the end of the world and you shouldn’t treat it as such. This is a small bump in the road if I’ve ever seen one, and you shouldn’t make it into a bigger deal than it is. You’ll get offered something else (also probably entry level). Learn your lesson and take it. Then use it as a stepping stone to get a better job in a year or so (and maybe use your free time to get a TESOL cert or online Masters).

2 Likes

I thought he said he was fired. :idunno:

Yo bro, you got it good. Be careful what thoughts you let consume your mind and what thoughts you put out into the universe.

If we were in private conversation I could give you a million examples of what tough times are. Unfortunately, those situations are too foul to put into a public forum.

I suggest you to instead change your point of view. Whenever the negative thoughts enter your mind, stop them immediately and be grateful about something, anything, try being grateful you have all your limbs and you can breathe, that’s a good start. Instead of brewing in your misfortunes, try to approach the situation like a challenge.

Good things take time, and when you are on the other side of the world where you aren’t fluent in the language, expect them to take a bit longer.

Adversity will make or break a man. Let your struggles build your character not break it.

2 Likes

Yeah because all relationships work out well🙄

I know people who tried to commit suicide because they were dumped after dating for a few months. I’m sure there are plenty of them out there.

Besides when you said it’s easy to get a gf here it sounds more like a fling.

There is currently a thread very similar to this one on facebook foreigners in taipei.

1 Like

Did I say that? On the other hand it’s far more cynical to advise someone not to get in a relationship at all because you expect it to fail.

I don’t think it’s going out on a limb to say anyone who tried to commit suicide after the conclusion of a relationship that lasted only a few months already had far greater underlying problems.

If you feel that way then you’re projecting your own feelings on to words that in no way conveyed that sentiment.

1 Like

IKR?
The “get a girlfriend” suggestion was the most hilarious thing I saw all day, I literally choked on my water. :rofl:

1 Like

No.

In his current state, he is bleeding in the water, and bleeding only attracts sharks. Most likely, he would end up as putty in the hands of a psycho xiajie or worse: one of those “take me to America” types, that will squeeze the life out of him, after they take away his money, his dignity and his desire to live. Hell no!

4 Likes

So you’re telling him it’s OK to get a girl, then, as long as she’s white??
Nice.

And inaccurate anyways.
Advising him that embarking on a romantic relationship (of any colour) will help him is pretty much the Internet equivalent of standing on the sidewalk yelling “Jump! Jump!”

1 Like

No.

However, given the fact that he is in Taiwan, the odds of him meeting, let alone romancing a “white” girl, are a bit on the low side… And yes, the same problem, he’ll only atrract problems his way.

Spanish saying: the fleas flock to the thin, sickly dogs.

And rather than standing on the sidewalk, it is more like standing on the side of a bridge, a tall one. Unless you mean a sidewalk next to a highway and intend him to play live Frogger.

But we play live Frogger every day!