Love my new job, but missing Taiwan :(

Pretty sure polygamy isn’t legal here.

Make sure they both never meet.

1 Like

Yes, lecturers and postdocs are two completely different kinds of positions.

1 Like

@Gain, do you know what “postdoc” means?

1 Like

I am 7 years back, have a job that is currently paying $70k and will be paying me over $100k in 2 years with a rock solid defined benefit pension (government). It is everything I wanted leaving Taiwan in a job … But it isn’t Taiwan.

I definitely have realized that living in Taiwan was great, but working there was just ok. Not bad, but just ok. Living in Canada in possibly the worst city, in a high stress job working shift work with often 60hr+ work weeks, makes the old life in Taiwan seem not so bad in retrospect.

Don’t get me wrong … I get paid well for it, and have an out at 50, which is only just over 6 years away … But at this point a lot of my time is spent figuring out ways for my wife and son to return to Taiwan - we just need to figure out how to survive this boring crime ridden sh#thole for 6 years …Then we can return to Taiwan and figure out how to rebuild again from scratch … We will see.

2 Likes

What common crimes are there in Canada?

Sounds like a decent plan. There’s a retired farmer from Saskatchewan who opened up a restaurant in Hualien. Great food. Nice guy. Has a Harley parked out front most of the time. Has a decent (and very big) house in the city.

1 Like

Hi. Do you live in Ft McMurray?

NICE! My job pays 65k, and well…I am a humanities postdoc. So today I rode my 500cc scooter around the mountains, played some video games, and went shopping. So in terms of work culture…Taiwan is clearly the loser here. I got a buddy with an academia sinica postdoc and he has to sign in and out each day or get his pay docked.

But…its not Taiwan. There is no insanity in the streets. Well, there are gang related shootings and rapes and shit, but not the kind of insanity I miss.

1 Like

Winnipeg. We came back here for family, but now my father has passed away, and my brother has moved … Now it is just us and my mom left.

And to reply to the other poster who asked about which crimes, here is a link ( we aren’t LA or anything, but we are often called the Detroit of Canada):

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4219202

Sorry for your loss and hope the situation gets better. Indeed some shit towns in Canada, lived in Ft McMurray 7 months hence my question… most depressing town I have ever seen!!

@Noel @Adoga. Yup. I count the days until I can return. In the meantime, family, beer and food are pretty good. I hope you find your solace and don’t feel like you’re doing time in a less-than-desireable foreign land.

I don’t want to derail this thread, but one way to enjoy the 'Peg is to see the extraordinary ways it has changed over the years. During my last visit, I found a kickass South Indian dosa joint, soulful homestyle Korean food, and awesome Caribbean roti. Good stuff is out there, and good people too.

On the other hand, don’t get me started on the utter lack of urban planning or discipline is reining in the development spreading out over farmland. In some ways Winnipeg is now looking like the worst aspects of Calgary.

Guy

Oh, dosa. I could REALLY go for one now. The thought makes me smile. Any in Taipei?

I’m totally with you. Dosas rock!

In Taipei, Masala House (access: Taipower Building MRT Station; exit toward Xinhai Road) was the place, but they’ve switched over chefs/operating teams so often I’ve stopped going. If you go, and it’s good, report back to us!

Guy

Guys if you want to eat dosa, the best dosa place in Asia possibly including ALL of India, big claim I know :), is on the one street Indiatown in Malacca in Malaysia.

I’ve had dosa before but their dosa was just incredible. And the Lassa…

2 Likes