Made my Grand Dink 250 to a 300

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit. I’m actively looking into getting a cheap impact wrench myself as I’m in the process of rebuilding my SYM RV180.
Can I ask you which model you got, how much and where? Do you know the torque of the model you got?

All I’ve see so far is expensive models likes those from PChome (even more expensive in stores): http://24h.pchome.com.tw/store/DECA3Z
Or much cheaper ones on Yahoo, but I’m concerned whether those are powerful enough, and whether the given torque ratings are accurate or not: https://goo.gl/Dmmizz

I got something like this, but it also has a digital read for a very few preset torque settings.

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21305080186330

However, I don’t think model has that, I’m not sure as all the pictures didn’t load up. I had
a Taiwanese friend help me order it, as I was asking about getting one and it’s was what
he suggested I get. As he knew I wouldn’t be using it everyday, like he uses his, he felt that
the battery would die from not being used and recharged often enough. Using it is kinda of
strange, as you have to let it “spin up” before it impacts, which it does again and again until
you reached the torque setting, then it stops. It did the job of torquing down my flywheel,
transmission, and rear wheel.

[quote=“johnledoe”]I got something like this, but it also has a digital read for a very few preset torque settings.

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21305080186330

However, I don’t think model has that, I’m not sure as all the pictures didn’t load up. I had
a Taiwanese friend help me order it, as I was asking about getting one and it’s was what
he suggested I get. As he knew I wouldn’t be using it everyday, like he uses his, he felt that
the battery would die from not being used and recharged often enough. Using it is kinda of
strange, as you have to let it “spin up” before it impacts, which it does again and again until
you reached the torque setting, then it stops. It did the job of torquing down my flywheel,
transmission, and rear wheel.[/quote]

Might be wrong here, because I’ve never used one, but I don’t see the point.

Maybe sometimes the inertia of a rotating part means it doesn’t have to be clamped when used with a powertool, and sure, for a pro mechanic, time is money, but an amateur is, to some extent, doing it for fun.

What’s the rush?

I see these things treated as absolutely essential on a US-centred auto site I visit sometimes.

I also see ratchets used routinely when a breaker bar would be more appropriate, and torque wrenches used all the time when a bit of gumption would be more appropriate.

I also see, fairly regularly, descriptions of “technically assisted breakages” where, for example, someone got a duff gadget, or the wrong setting, and didn’t realise they were stripping a thread, or had cross-threaded a part.

I don’t get it.

Hand tools have more feel, they stop you breaking things, they are more durable, and you don’t have to keep re-charging the bloody things.

1 Like

I agree with you about hand tools, and I would have liked to done the whole job without the impact wrench. However, there was
one hand tool that’s hard to find that’s essential to be able to disassemble the engine, which is a fly wheel holder. Without it,
I would not have been able to take off the flywheel with just a fly wheel puller and a breaker bar as the fly wheel is a very tightly
pressed fit onto the crank shaft. Also, without the fly wheel holder, I wouldn’t have been able to torque down the nut that holds
the fly wheel in place with my torque wrench. Even if I had the fly wheel holder, the impact wrench made the whole job with the
fly wheel a whole lot easier, so I’m glad I got it for the job.

Fair enough. It was more a general rant rather than specific to your case.

I also hadn’t noticed your gizmo was under 1000NT, which is pretty reasonable if it lasts for a few jobs. I also like that its 12V.

I got a cheapo 12V rechargeable drill in the UK on the basis that if the battery died I could hook it up to the starter battery. Battery did indeed die during the first job, but I never got around to making an adapter for it. Wouldn’t mind getting another one. You can, of course, make holes with a hand drill, but there isn’t really any substitute for a power tool for abrading rusty steel, which find myself needing to do quite often.

Thinking of getting one of these since I’m having trouble getting the pulley of my alternator, and I don’t have a vice.

As long as it isn’t complete junk. a cheap light duty impact wrench that runs off a car battery makes sense for very infrequent DIY use, though it makes less commercial sense if its only available in Taiwan, where the market for such a thing will be tiny.

I’m not sure I understand how it works though. It seems possible the cheaper of the two models has to be used with specific torque sticks for specific jobs.

This may be what the Google translate jive below is about

" Taiwan bell car series 34 sleeve 140 yuan

Gwangyang Sanyang cars (below 151c.c) No. 39 sleeve 170 yuan

Trefoil series (below 124c.c) No. 41 long sleeve 200 yuan

Trefoil series (above 124c.c) No. 46 sleeve 230 yuan"

Not much chance that any Chinese readers I know will be able to interpret that, though.

Any hints?